WEIRD situation at store when purchasing pregnancy tests!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laska5

Reaction score
Anyone ever have any weird or awkward moments when buying something like pregnancy tests?

It generally doesn't bother me, I just try to hide them only in case I run into someone I know!

BUT I just have to vent about this situation I had at our local Dollar General! I could not believe this kid!

I bought 4 pregnancy tests to prepare for my new cycle. I'm TTC #1 on cycle 2! I had just started AF so I was extremely irritable & cramping like crazy! It was almost closing time at this particular store & the only person doing checkout was a 16 or 17 year old boy. And of course while checking out the kid just HAD to make a comment about all my tests! At first he said, "wow, you're really wanting to make sure aren't you?" I looked at him puzzeled and said, "excuse me?" He then picked up one of the pregnancy tests, waved it around a bit & mumbled something like "all these tests." I looked at him puzzled again & said, "I"m sorry?" I think he then sensed the awkwardness & shook his head nevermind. At this point it would have been smart to finish my small transaction (which only consisted of 4 pregnancy tests, milk, bread & eggs) in silence- yet he then had to take a moment to ask- "So are you wanting children?" I should have said that is none of your business! But I was feeling so uncomfortable & embarrassed that I just wrinkled my forehead & said, "I hope so." YOU THINK he would have gotten the sense that he should just shut-up but then had to go on & ask me how my weekend was going! Which after all my negative pregnancy tests, starting AF, PMSing & now this little event- wasn't going so well! I just said 'oh it's just fine.' He then awkwardly handed me my change, which half of it spilled out of my hands. I quickly grabbed the larger quarters & told him he could keep the rest (just a few pennies). It was so totally awkward & it was at a store that I go to frequently, this was the first time I'd seen this kid & I hope I don't have anymore weird run in's with him- or else I might be talking to his manager! He needs to understand how inappropriate it is to ask a women personal questions like that!

What would you have done in a situation like this?

Does anyone else have any awkward stories like this to share?

Sounds like he was just trying to be friendly and make conversation. Some people aren't as "socially intelligent" as others; they're not trying to be rude. It's unprofessional to talk about a customer's purchases, but you said yourself he was very young.

If it were me, I probably would have laughed and said "Yeahhh, I'm pretty excited as you can see!".

please don't put words in my mouth that I was calling him rude- thats not how it was at all. It's just a story that I wanted to share!

It sounds like you are the one who need's to lighten up Laska, no need to jump all over someone answering your thread. I was going to say something similar.

I agree with purple cupcake... 17 year old boys can be so awkward and socially inept. I know it sounded uncomfortable but by him continuing to ask about your weekend was just trying to rectify the situation. Understanding the emotional rollercoaster that comes with ttc is definitely not on the list of skills that teenage boys have.

Sorry if you all thought I was calling this kid rude or whatever! I wasn't! Obviously I get he was doing his job of trying to start a convo with me! Just personally felt it was inappropriate & it didn't help that I was already extremely irritable on AF! My husband felt the same way though!

I have an 18 year old son who has Asperger's so I am very familiar with how teenagers act & even more knowledgeable about their social skills or lack there of. Obviously he has a job there so he can't be socially inept! I know my son would be so embarrassed to even TOUCH a pregnancy test let alone actually TALK about it - so it was all very amusing to me after I left! I think the fact that I have a son his age made it even a little more awkward for me!

Was just trying to share a funny story that happened & see what other stories people may have had!

I think you're overreacting about the boy and how you're responding to posts. Yet, you said it yourself that you are extremely irritable so that's probably the root of all of this. There is no reason to speak to the manager and possibly get the boy fired. He's young and he's a male. Men don't understand pregnancy is a sensitive subject for women. I'm sure he meant no harm and clearly he realized he may have said something wrong because he tried to change the subject and lighten the mood. It is far from a big deal.

And you said you are trying to share a funny story... It didn't sound funny at all. Contemplating speaking with a manager is not something that comes from a "funny" encounter. The whole tone sounded angry.

Anyone ever have any weird or awkward moments when buying something like pregnancy tests?

It generally doesn't bother me, I just try to hide them only in case I run into someone I know!

BUT I just have to vent about this situation I had at our local Dollar General! I could not believe this kid!

I bought 4 pregnancy tests to prepare for my new cycle. I'm TTC #1 on cycle 2! I had just started AF so I was extremely irritable & cramping like crazy! It was almost closing time at this particular store & the only person doing checkout was a 16 or 17 year old boy. And of course while checking out the kid just HAD to make a comment about all my tests! At first he said, "wow, you're really wanting to make sure aren't you?" I looked at him puzzeled and said, "excuse me?" He then picked up one of the pregnancy tests, waved it around a bit & mumbled something like "all these tests." I looked at him puzzled again & said, "I"m sorry?" I think he then sensed the awkwardness & shook his head nevermind. At this point it would have been smart to finish my small transaction (which only consisted of 4 pregnancy tests, milk, bread & eggs) in silence- yet he then had to take a moment to ask- "So are you wanting children?" I should have said that is none of your business! But I was feeling so uncomfortable & embarrassed that I just wrinkled my forehead & said, "I hope so." YOU THINK he would have gotten the sense that he should just shut-up but then had to go on & ask me how my weekend was going! Which after all my negative pregnancy tests, starting AF, PMSing & now this little event- wasn't going so well! I just said 'oh it's just fine.' He then awkwardly handed me my change, which half of it spilled out of my hands. I quickly grabbed the larger quarters & told him he could keep the rest (just a few pennies). It was so totally awkward & it was at a store that I go to frequently, this was the first time I'd seen this kid & I hope I don't have anymore weird run in's with him- or else I might be talking to his manager! He needs to understand how inappropriate it is to ask a women personal questions like that!

What would you have done in a situation like this?

Does anyone else have any awkward stories like this to share?

Sounds like he was just trying to be friendly and make conversation. Some people aren't as "socially intelligent" as others; they're not trying to be rude. It's unprofessional to talk about a customer's purchases, but you said yourself he was very young.

If it were me, I probably would have laughed and said "Yeahhh, I'm pretty excited as you can see!".

please don't put words in my mouth that I was calling him rude- thats not how it was at all. It's just a story that I wanted to share!

?

Maybe you can buy some pregnancy test offline so you won't have to deal with the awkwardness...plus the tests are much cheaper so you can really stock up!

I understand what you're talking about Laska. and him saying things like "wow, you're really wanting to make sure aren't you?" and "So are you wanting children?" I think was totally out of line. I don't like conversing with people anyways (I'm just not social) but at the check out line a "Hi" or "Did you find everything you needed?" is ok, which, he should have just said. I think when he asked you about how your weekend was going, he was trying to light up the mood because of what he said earlier and he probably knew that he was irritating you (which, he made worse by talking still!) I have bought something like a premixed applecrisp and the checkout lady said "You don't have to waste money on this, it's easy to make it at home" I thought it was totally out of line! Some people doesn't get it sometimes I guess?

I agree about the overreacting part. You sound very irritable and like you are now trying to cover your bases on not sounding so.... But your original post didn't sound like you were sharing a funny story it sounded like you were really annoyed and upset over this kid speaking about things you obviously don't feel comfortable discussing.

Being so young, he was just trying to be polite and obviously he failed miserably. I'm not one to mind things like that, so I guess I just see it as being a little harsh (threatening to talk to his manager).... I would think having a child with aspergers would make you a little more tolerant to socially awkward behavior but when AF hits and pms is in motion I know that can be tough.

I agree with the online shopping, if you are that uncomfortable with that kind of talk just avoid it all together! Easy fix!

Sorry if you feel people are "attacking" you but I think the common consensus is that you were probably overreacting. How you feel is how you feel an if you felt offended in anyway with what he said you are completely entitled to that! 100%!

Just perhaps, consider another avenue for purchasing tests. When ttc you find a lot of things mght bother you....

Hope you feel better soon!

one of the most annoying things to me about the internet is how people misinterpret posts & come to their own wrong judgmental conclusions. It was a awkward yet funny story, it's not my fault if you can't see that.

Let's all get over it & move on. I am.

I just thought it was ok to vent about womenly subjects on this forum without being judged! You all who are excusing me of being irrational, overreacting & not having manners are just being hypocritical! You are a woman & you can't argue otherwise! We all have our imperfect moments! Just because someone reacts different than doesn't mean that they are being irrational! This should be a safe place to vent about those situations & not get all kinds of drama thrown about. This forum is really disappointing & not what I had hoped for. I didn't come her to ask for drama. :(

I understand what you're talking about Laska. and him saying things like "wow, you're really wanting to make sure aren't you?" and "So are you wanting children?" I think was totally out of line. I don't like conversing with people anyways (I'm just not social) but at the check out line a "Hi" or "Did you find everything you needed?" is ok, which, he should have just said. I think when he asked you about how your weekend was going, he was trying to light up the mood because of what he said earlier and he probably knew that he was irritating you (which, he made worse by talking still!) I have bought something like a premixed applecrisp and the checkout lady said "You don't have to waste money on this, it's easy to make it at home" I thought it was totally out of line! Some people doesn't get it sometimes I guess?

Thank you for understanding! I am a very private & personalable person so this just felt instrusive & I've also never been a fan of small talk especially when it's about something private like pregnancy- I don't just put my personal life out there random people I meet! Especially at a grocery store I frequent! I know I'll see this kid again & again if he continues to work there- he was obviously new - I just hope our next meeting is a little less awkward! :haha:

Posting rude replies to people is what "caused drama"... Just because you keep editing your replies later doesn't change it...
This place is usually very supportive, but reacting so rudely to people's replies is obviously going to make them upset :/

I just thought it was ok to vent about womenly subjects on this forum without being judged! You all who are excusing me of being irrational, overreacting & not having manners are just being hypocritical! You are a woman & you can't argue otherwise! We all have our imperfect moments! Just because someone reacts different than doesn't mean that they are being irrational! This should be a safe place to vent about those situations & not get all kinds of drama thrown about. This forum is really disappointing & not what I had hoped for. I didn't come her to ask for drama. :(

So...you're saying all women are irrational and overreact and? Wow.

one of the most annoying things to me about the internet is how people misinterpret posts & come to their own wrong judgmental conclusions. It was a awkward yet funny story, it's not my fault if you can't see that.

Let's all get over it & move on. I am.

Ok, I wanted to stay out of it, I really did. I try to avoid drama as much as possible. I wish I had quoted your original reply to pc before you edited it. You said something along the lines of "I never said he was being rude, your just putting words into my mouth", then you said something else, I can't remember what. Then you said, and I quote "you need to lighten up". By the way, about your story I would understand if you bought an economy size box of condoms and he waved them around and called you a big *hore in front of everyone, yeah a chat with management would be in order, but that is not what happened. But back to the comments, You were in the wrong when you so rudely replied to pc and I called you out on it. I'd be embarrassed if I where you. Instead of quietly letting it go you choose to continue on. I'm sorry things didn't go the way you wanted them to, and aunt flo came, I truly am.

Also as others have said buy online or use self service checkouts, no conversations with anyone then. Also with your SS having aspergers that shouldn't really explain how every teenage boy should act. I also expect he would probably server them to you if it was part of his job. I managed to sell people condoms no problem, just took a while to get my head around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"