Weird ultrasound experience

natalie4

Reaction score
Had my first ultrasound today at 7+3. The tech spent about 5 minutes not talking to me, moving the thing around on my belly and making somewhat weird faces at the screen. I got terrified that something was wrong, but at the end she showed me a blob with a heart rate of 150.

Should I be worried? I won't know anything until I hear from my doctor, but she really scared me. Maybe she was just being rude because I look really young (I'm 29 but I look early 20s, and I have braces which doesn't help)

Any insights? Is this just how they act or could something be wrong??

When I was about 7+5 weeks pregnant with my second, we had a harrowing 5 minutes or so where the doctor couldn't find the baby. She was about to give up and give me a quantitative hcg test when she finally found a healthy little blob with heartbeat. Could it have been something like that?

I don't think so.... she took lots of pictures the whole time.

I don't think the techs have a lot they are allowed to say or do. I had an ultrasound at 8 weeks and they didn't even tell me if there was a heartbeat. We were in there for a scan due to bleeding so I was very worried.

No you shouldn't be worried. That early they're basically just checking to see if it's in your womb and not your tubes and that it has a heartbeat. 150 is really good.

Sounds normal to me, my techs have usually been quiet and pull weird faces. The scan shows on a screen above the bed though and they tell you anything interesting.

Imaging center has different guidelines than the ob office. The techs aren't really allowed to discuss the Scan with you. They have a set of images to take and they usually have a routine they go through to get the images for the radiologist to read. Def not as personable as the ones in the ob office. But sounds like a good scan in the end.

My SIL is a rad tech and says this is pretty standard. They might have been making weird faces as they concentrated on what they were doing, not because you had anything amiss. Happy to hear your babe has a strong HB! 😍

Was it a private scan ? Xx

I'm not sure what you mean - maybe we're in different places?

It was at an x-ray/imaging place.

Aw sorry Yeah of course ! It seems everywhere is so different. .. I paid for a private scan and she was amazing, talked me through everything and it took around 30 minutes .... but your baby sounds perfectly healthy to me :) I saw a little blob too with a heart beat of 156 bpm! Congratulations! I'm sorry your experience wasn't as detailed but I'm sure your future scans will be :)

Thanks everyone. I think I will call my ob today just to put my mind at ease. The techs eyes got really wide a couple of times and I just can't stop worrying.

Techs really don't say much to you at all. They aren't allowed too. Though her showing you baby with a heartbeat is a very good sign

That all sounds normal. Techs won't say much due to liability issues. She was probably concentrating on getting the pics she needs and didn't even realize she was making faces. If she showed you the baby at the end with a good heart rate, then I'd guess all was good.

I wouldn't be too worried. When we had two 12 week scans and we unfortunately lost the babies they told us each time within a minute 'this isn't good news'. They scan all day every day and unfortunately they know if it's bad and they told us both times quickly. And they didn't find any heart beat both times.

So maybe the person who did it just wanted to check everything themselves first - it's a good scan so I wouldn't worry! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->