Went for 20-week scan, so happy, but a bit confused.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Owl, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Everything was looking great! It was so lovely to see the little one again. :happydance:

I also think I found out the gender, but I’m not sure.

I think the woman who performed the ultrasound was near the end of her shift and everything felt very rushed. She asked if I wanted to find out if the little one was a boy or a girl, which I said yes please to, and she told me her opinion on what she believed it was and then the scan was over. She gave me some beautiful photos (I could even see little one’s face in one of them! :cloud9:), but nothing in terms of a photo for determining gender.

I honestly couldn’t be happier with whichever gender little one is and wouldn’t mind at all to wait until I’m due, but my family would really like to know in advance, and I’m quite confused. My mum tried to ask a couple of questions but was brushed off slightly brusquely. Should I take the sonographer’s word on the gender?

2. valentinegirl

valentinegirl Well-Known Member

Oh girl i am sorry!!! If i were you I would probably call the doctors office tomorrow and let them know you left feeling very confused and unsure of the gender. You NEED to know if you want too! Call them tomorrow! They shouldn't act like that towards a patient- that is the most important visit!!

3. kazb25

kazb25 Well-Known Member

yeah i would, sure even thou u was rushed(the stupid cow for rushing) they do these all the time so i am guessing that they know exactly what they are looking for. If u are not satisfied id contact your midwife and see if u can have another scan and explain what happened, but if it was me id take their word for it but thats me, lol

4. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Thank you both for the advice. :hugs2: I'll try and talk to my midwife about it soon.

5. lilly77

lilly77 Mom to Kai & Ivy

thats annoying, but they hardly ever give you gender shots at your 20 week scan - they only really do this at a private gender scan that you pay for - unless if you ask.. they may give you a gender shot pic!

Did she point out to you what sex your baby was? You should have clearly seen either balls and willy (!!) for a boy or 3 lines, like a hamburger, for a girl. I would also be unsure if she just said the gender, all rushed, and didn't show you on the screen.

Maybe don't go buying anything just yet!! x

6. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Oh! I feel a bit daft now. :dohh: Thank you for pointing that out. :hugs2:

No, she didn't point out anything gender-related on the screen, but she did show me little one's heart and kidneys, which was amazing! By the time I had sat up, she was getting ready to leave, but I don't really blame her, it was about 8:40 in the morning and I have no idea how long she was there for beforehand. I just feel bad for my mum, she really wanted to find out and was slightly annoyed at the hastiness of it all.

Hehe, good idea! Strange as I realize it might sound, I quite like gender-neutral clothes for babies and when they're old enough, it's lovely to see them choose their own things. So the only thing I was really planning on buying (for now) were some soft toys. :flower: