were you one of 3 kids?

I am also a middle child, I have 2 sisters. There were definitely times when I was younger that I felt as though I didn't get as much attention from my parents but I'm sure both of my sisters felt that at times. I do suffer a little bit from middle child syndrome though :) I'm the loudest and most opinionated!

Growing up my parents didn't have much money and then when they divorced we had even less so never really went on holidays or anything but our time was always full, there was always somebody to play with and plenty of friends around. To be honest the thing that bothered me the most is that I always had to wear hand me downs from my big sister but then by the time I'd got through with them my little sister couldn't use them so she always got new!! I soon got over it though :haha:

As adults we are all close although my big sister has just recently admitted to feeling a bit left out and jealous of my relationship with my youngest sister (we are a lot more similar and do spend more time together) so we're having to make a conscious effort to spend time together all 3 of us. I think that the fact we've managed to get to our 30's before we've had an issue is quite good though :)

I love being one of 3, in fact we've just decided to start trying for our 3rd :cloud9:

I'm the youngest of three, and the only girl. Looking back at my child I'm surprised I survived my brothers were Horrible to me. But I love my brothers, and had a fun child hood and wouldn't change it for anything!

I'm the middle of 3. My sister and I were only about 18 months apart, so have always been very close. Our younger brother is 5 yrs younger than me. I think he really hated the age gap growing up, because we never wanted to play with him since he was so much younger than us. We also picked on him quite a bit and fought with him quite a bit, which I now feel pretty terrible about, but again, I think a lot of it was due to the age gap between us. We fought a lot because he would want to play with us all the time, and we didn't want him to because we mostly viewed him as the annoying much younger little brother. Just something to keep in mind with a bigger age gap with kids. Its not always the time with the parents that's the issue, sometimes its the relationship with siblings that's the issue.

I'm the youngest of three but there was only 18 months between each of us. I never felt like I didn't get attention only thing I can think of that was negative is there was lots of things we couldn't have because they couldn't afford three of everything! Now I see it as a good thing that I don't take money for granted. I was rarely alone/bored as a child.

Having said that my mum said to me don't have three and if you do have four with a gap between first and second two.

I was one of five. My husband was an only child. We both only wanted the one. The universe forced a second on us. We got my husband fixed to prevent more. I don't think age makes any difference at all. If we'd wanted a third. I'd still be waiting longer and have it at 42. I like the at least 3 year age gap between kids for our sanity.

I am one of three (My sister and I are identical twins and I have an older brother) and I have three kids myself. I am turning 40 and my age does bother me as I worry about not being in their lives but that can happen with young parents too. I love three and had to try very hard for my third with many losses, but she was worth all the heartache and tears as she truly did complete our family.

I'm the youngest of three and would only have an even number of kids because of it! But here's my disclaimer...I am the only girl and there is a 4.5 year and 8.5 year gap between me and my brothers which I think makes a huge difference. I was always left out and had nothing in common with my brothers until we got older. I think three will work just fine if there isn't a huge age difference and agree with pp who said it's nice because there would always be someone to play with.

I'm the youngest of three and would only have an even number of kids because of it! But here's my disclaimer...I am the only girl and there is a 4.5 year and 8.5 year gap between me and my brothers which I think makes a huge difference. I was always left out and had nothing in common with my brothers until we got older. I think three will work just fine if there isn't a huge age difference and agree with pp who said it's nice because there would always be someone to play with.

This is exactly what I am afraid of for a potential third kid (in addition to the middle child "syndrome"). There would be a minimum of 3.5 years (likely more as I am old) inbetween the 3rd and the youngest, and the third might even be a girl. Plus my boys are close in age and best buddies - they might gang up on a little one that wants to destroy their toys etc.
It has been wonderful to read people's experiences, keep them coming!

My dh is the middle one of 3. He has a sister 2 years older, and a little brother 5 years younger. He doesnt have middle child syndrome, and has always been very close to his sister. His brother being a fair bit younger was left out, and they didnt get closer until adulthood.

We are planning to have a 3rd (and last) one soon. I want to keep the age gaps close so that one isn't left out. Though if it's a boy his sisters might gang up on him!

Something about the middle child and posting online? I'm also the middle of 3. My older brother is 1.5 yr older, my younger brother is 4 yrs younger. I think I pulled attention from my older brother but I was really excited about my younger brother and never felt left out. That's why I prefer a bigger age gap. I will only have two if the next one is a girl though, that's how I imagine our family.

My aunt who has two girls, did say to me to have more than two, she said when they're older and leave home, two is too few. I have to say, the older women in my family who have 3 are generally more satisfied with their family size. My mil had my bil (3rd child) when she was 40, a surprise, had to have emcs, and she once told me she's glad she decided to have him.

I'm the eldest of 3. My middle sister is 3 years younger and the youngest one is 9 years younger (she was a bit of an accident lol). My middle sister has suffered on and off with what they call "middle child syndrome"....she's getting better now that she's in her later 20's but we have had a rocky relationship until I had a child.

It's really up to you in the end. Hubby and I are sticking to one child :D

I'm the youngest of 3. But there is 9 and 6 years between me and them. Honestly i don't have a close bond at all with them and it would have made no difference if i was an only child, but thats due to the large age gap and that they left home young. I'm having 3 but just closer age gaps.

Basically, if you are a middle child, did you feel neglected?

Yes, i did (and still do sometimes, lol), but i'd put that down to bad parenting, not to being a middle child. I think if you can avoid constantly pitting one child against another, making them compete for your attention, constantly saying things to put the middle child down so that they youngest can feel better, etc, you'll be fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"