Wesley James - back labour/strep B

JessesGirl29

Reaction score
On the morning of March 13th I woke up and had a light period type pain. Once I stood up and showered it turned to a mild back pain. I had a midwife appointment that morning and since I was 40 + 4 I knew I would be checked and offered a sweep. I kept feeling the back cramp every so often and when she checked me I was 2cms but she couldn't do the sweep because the baby hadn't really engaged yet and the is worry about the cord dropping down first (cord prolapse).

I went home and almost immediately had spotting but knew it just might be from the exam. We went out for groceries and last minute errands knowing this could be 'it'. As the day went on the back cramps came in waves and I felt like they were too weak and sporadic until my OH said 'those sounded close together, you should time them' they were coming 5-7 minutes apart but only lasting 30 seconds. I watched TV and dozed inbetween the pains and by evening I was having to breathe through them.

The pain increased where I had to focus and they switched to coming every 4 minutes apart and lasting almost a full minute. I got my OH to phone the midwife and she said I could wait or she could come check me. After hearing me have some on the phone and it being able to talk through them she came to the house around midnight and said I was about 3cms. I felt silly but she told us she was going home to sleep because she felt I was indeed in labour.

I kept trying to doze but it was too much pain and so I got mobile and tried to have a bath. By 3:30am I couldn't deal with it anymore. The pains were getting so bad that I actually had to drop down on hands and knees on the stairs and breathing through them was getting so hard to do. I told OH to phone the midwife and we'd meet her at the hospital (by this point I said 'tell her I want an epidural' and my OH told me I should keep trying to stick to my plan to do natural and I told him to shut the hell up) :haha:

Got the hospital (was strep B positive) and midwife examined me and I was six centimetres. Was desperate in my mind for an epi but the midwife suggested I get in the bath and have my OH spray water on my back. I thought this was ridiculous since the water didn't help at home but it was like heaven to have that hot hot water blasted on my back during contractions. She put a line in and I got my first back of antibiotics in the tub. Only took about 10 minutes. I still wanted pain control and asked to try laughing gas. Amazing!!!!! With that and the hot water on my back I was totally making it! I laboured that way for a long time until about 10am when I felt the natural urge to push at the end of my contractions. I tried getting out, sitting on the toilet (which stopped them), got my second dose of antibiotics and then decided to get back in the tub.

The pushing urge was too strong and got out and was 9cms but had a lip of my cervix still covering and baby still not dropped :wacko: I then gave permission for her to break my waters and she said she could feel babies head wriggling trying to find the right position. The midwife said I had a very thick membrane for my waters and once she broke them it felt like all hell broke loose. Baby dropped down and the need and pain to push was immediate. I tried leaning over the bed but couldn't take it. They took my previous gas and air and I turned on my back.

At this point I lost it, pushing was horrendous with the back labour and I was exhausted. I said I wasn't going to do it, fought the urges to push and begged for a c section. I had to hold on to my OHs belt loop and the second midwife and him held my legs and screamed if they put my legs down. My bum and back felt like it was going to explode with each push and I just kept saying I couldn't do it. I told everyone they didn't know how bad it was, I said I would push if they could promise he'd be out with three more, I asked them to pull him out once I got closed to being done. :blush: the midwife supported my bum and perineum with a washcloth which helped a little and finally the burning ring of fire...,. I screamed 'I'm tearing!!!!' But I wasn't and on the last push it became evident why I was having such a hard time. The back of baby's head was out first and he was sunny side up. His face tore me up the front on the very last push to my urethra.

The best moment of my life when they plopped that baby up on me and I said 'I did it!!!'. Wesley James was born at eight minutes after 12pm on March 14th and the OB had to come in to stitch me and put in a catheter but I didn't feel a thing I was in bliss. My little ginger baby who latched like a pro after amazing skin to skin. I delivered the placenta and felt like a champion for making it on laughing gas and hot water.

So I love with my little boy :cloud9:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 31
My favourite picture that says it all. Exhausted and elated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 29
How I spent my labour on e I got to hospital.....:winkwink:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 24
Congrats!!
Brings back memories!! My ds3 was the same sunny side up and tore up urethra, not nice!! Glad u didnt feel the catheter, i had a terrible time with it!

Thanks you ladies! I did feel the catheter and the freezing needle up front (ouch!!!!!!!) I was just happy with baby in my arms. The rest of the 24 hrs with catheter weren't too too bad. It really is all worth it in the end.

Congratulations! You did amazing. I could have written this myself, with my daughter Isla. She was born sunny side up and had beautiful ginger hair too! lol! xx

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your story!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->