Whacky period...plz help me!

avh2016

Reaction score
Last month was our first month TTC. We left for a trip to Europe for 2 weeks, about a week after I ovulated. My period ended up being 3 days late (technically 4, but I accounted for one day with the 6 hour time difference) and it was a very strange period. I had no cramps, and very light bleeding (mostly brown with streaks of red). I took a pregnancy test when I got home just to make sure it wasn't spotting and I got a BFN. I know I ovulated on day 14 my last cycle because I took a digital ovulation test and got a solid smiley. 2 days later I tested again for accuracy and got a blank circle, which means no surge. This was slightly confusing because a 31 day cycle should ovulate later than day 14, but the proof was in the pudding. I think this is why I am also so thrown by the late and odd period last month.

My first real period off of the pill was in March, and it was a 35 day cycle. Then in April I had a 31 day cycle. This past cycle would have made it a 35 day cycle again. I realize travel and stress to the body can change your cycle a bit (we were walking 10+ miles per day) so I understand this may have been the case here.

I am just wondering when I should start trying again this cycle since my cycles have been slightly inconsistent? Sunday (6/5) will be day 11 and I am wondering if we should just try every other day from day 11 until day 20 just to cover our bases. Should I begin testing for ovulation again on day 11 and continue testing until I get a positive?

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated! I am at a loss!

It can take months for your cycle to regulate once coming off birth control so I wouldn't worry about your cycles being irregular at the moment. I'd personally do as you suggested and dtd every other day till well past the day you would ovulate to cover your bases. Unfortunately opk's cant tell if you if you have ovulated for sure, only that your gearing up to ovulate. Lots of things can throw off ovulation such as travel, stress and illness and you said you have been travelling lately. Personally if your cycles are taking a while to settle down Id suggest taking your bbt along with opk's. Will give you a much clearer picture of your cycles and you will know for certain when you ovulated and after a few cycles you will get an idea of your luteal phase so you know when to expect AF and if your truely late. Fingers crossed you get your bfp very soon!

Thank you! Should I start OPK testing earlier? Last month I didn't start testing until day 14 which is when I got the solid smiley. There is a flashing smiley you are supposed to get prior to this indicating ovulation is coming. Should I start testing around day 11? Or should we just DTD every other day for a while and hope for the best?

I always start testing on cd10, if your ovulating around day 14 Id say day 10 would be the best day to start for you too. The days leading up to ovulation are just as important and you stand a better chance of concieving from the day before ovulation than the day of ovulation so Id get bd'ing as soon as you start getting the flashing smilies to make the most out of those pre ovulation days.

I stopped BCP 5 months ago and have yet to have a real period. Only spotting and anovulatory cycles. :( But I would recommend temping along with your OPKs, that should help a lot. And definitely continue DTD until you know for sure you have ovulated. :flow:

Thank you! How does temping work exactly? I've read that your temp only increases after you've already ovulated?

Good luck with your cycle! I am keeping my fingers crossed you have a normal cycle soon. Have you been using OPKs? Is this how you know your cycles have been anovulatory?

BBT is SO easy. It's really nice to know exactly what's going on. I'll try to explain:

In the first half of your cycle, estrogen rules your body. It is the "cooler" temperature. As your body gears up for ovulation and then eventually ovulate, progesterone, the "warmer" temperature" will take over.

chart.jpg

You need to purchase a basal body thermometer. It is different from a regular fever thermometer because it reads to the hundredth degree. Changes in BBT can be that minute. I'm not sure where in the world you are but I purchased mine from Wal-mart here. They are not overly expensive.

You start from day 1 of your period. It's important to remember to take it at the exact same time every day. You should set an alarm if needed. I take mine at 6am every day because that's what time my DH wakes up for work which wakes me up. You need at least 3-4 hours of consistent sleep before you take it. And you can't do ANYTHING before you take it. You shouldn't get up, sit up, etc. You literally pick up the thermometer and pop it in your mouth. Then you should record it. Fertility Friend is my favorite to record it and it has an app.

I have not been using OPKs but ovulation hasn't been detected from FF as of yet (well actually I might be 3DPO now but FF has taken it away before) and I have not had a real period so it's been difficult but temping has helped a lot.

Hope that helps!

Thank you! I'm in Michigan so I can easily swing by a Wal-Mart and pick one up. So I should wait until my next period to start recording it right? Hopefully I won't get my next period but I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket just yet! :p

You're so welcome! I hope it helps and welcome to BnB! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"