what age does it become.....

We usually get her her own meal, or a maybe a side dish that she can have in front of her and eat herself. She is 15months. She feeds herself and we help if needed.

Scrambelled eggs on toast for breakfast didn't work so well and she made quite a mess (poor staff), but she manages nando's chicken breast strips with chips pretty well! Yesterday we had hotdogs at the ikea exit and she did pretty well with that too. She loves going the eat out and thinks she is just the same as the grown ups.

My son is nearly 3 and this is the age where it gets embarassing not to order him something I think. Although he is bery big for his age so looks older.

I agree with this, Tegan is almost 3 but she looks older since she got her wheelchair, when people ask how old she is we say "she's nearly three" they always look shocked and say she looks much older - funny really since she wears 18-24 months clothes and weighs the same as a one year old :rofl:

Anyway back on topic, We do buy Tegan her own meal now and have since she was about 18mos. She hardly eats anything anyway but I feel embarrassed if I don't buy her anything and a lot of kids meals come with toys etc.

We don't order Ruby her own meal. I never go anywhere 'posh' enough these days that it would ever be rude to share a meal with someone else, let alone a child. I had no idea it's some kind of faux pas, oops

I don't think its rude unless you are at a buffet (so not "paying" for his meals technically) OR if either of you are not getting your fill (as in you give him most of your food and you end up not eating much)

But I would never consider it "rude".

i dont think its wrong to do (i plan on doing it as long as i can lol) just wondered if any one else does it x

Oh yeah adn I also think it depends on where you are. I don't mind buying a kids meal if I'm at say, a Mcdonalds or another fast food place and the meals only like 3 bucks plus he gets the toy.

But if we are in a sit down restaurant why pay almost as much for MY meal when he's probably only going to eat one chicken strip and a few fries?

Depends on the restaurant.

When a child is past the milk-only stage I think it's rude to bring your own snacks and drinks for them into a coffee shop. I get my son (coming 3) a milkshake when we go out for coffee. Yes, it's expensive but going out for coffee is an expensive habit and I think it's wrong to take up seats and time in a cafe and not be a paying customer.

In a restaurant though you can get away with more... like have a (small discreet) snack with you in case they get peckish waiting on the food order arriving. I either get a starter for my two/ order an adult meal between them/ occasionally just share ours. They are one and nearly 3. I'm not completely against junk food, but I wouldn't get them a junky meal if we're having a proper meal. (They get fish n chips with us if we go out to the chippy.)

My son is nearly 3 and this is the age where it gets embarassing not to order him something I think. Although he is bery big for his age so looks older.

I don't get this? You're taking up a table because you're there, and you're a paying customer. Surely the fact you have a young child with you makes no difference to anyone. Mums are a pretty big customer base for coffee shops, I think they'd rather you came with your child, bought yourself a drink and your child nothing, rather than not coming at all!
I'd be outraged if a coffee shop objected to me bringing age appropriate snacks for Ruby to have.

Amelia is 2 and a lot of the time she will share my food as she is at that age where she doesn't want her own, she wants everyone elses.
I also take a drink and snacks for her where ever we go, everything is getting so expensive that me going for a £1.09 coffee in town would soon add up if I didn't.

xXx

Kyle has his own meal now, if he dont eat it oh will haha

I usually order a small meal or a side order for LO and then give him a few bits of my plate as well.

We rarely ever eat out though and nowhere fancy or posh either :rofl:
I have requested before can they change something though.
E.G A Kids meal being beans sausages and mash I will ask would it be possible if we could have pea's instead? Have never been told no but I wouldn't be bothered if I was told no lol Though the one main restaurant we go to are very family an kid orientated and would probably make anything you asked them to make for a baby/toddler :rofl:

well babies in food places in my pet hate (sorry to those that do, just not my thing!!!) so our LO has only been eating out for a few months and he is nearly three ... but we buy him his own meal :) x

:wacko: can I ask why? my 2 have been going to resturants since their where in carseats

yeah sure, its because for me eating out is "a break" and we usually get a babysitter, also i have never EVER had a nice exp of sitting near children/babies whilst eating out and i wouldn't want my child to be the one ruining peoples evenings/meals... i think there are places children should and shouldn't be and for me this is one.. thats not to say i think everyone who does it is horrid lol! just that as someone who has never had a nice exp of it, its not for me.
if people want to bring their well behaved children to sit near me for once then that would be great haha and i might having a change of opinion but anytime a child has been sat near me it ends up at my table or running around screaming...... whilst the parents have sat their seemingly oblivious, so it put me off taking mine, as i didn't want to be the parent with the child making a scene :dohh: :blush: of course i mean quiet evening type places, not pizza hut, burger king macdonalds etc, but expensive "quiet places" x

We eat out all the time and it just depends. Sometimes we buy Emma a meal but other ties we order extra sides and she eats those and some of ours. I 'coffee out' a lot :blush:and generally take Emma's snack with me as I don't want her eating just cake. However if it is in the morning and we are in Costa I usually buy toast which she has as snack. We don't eat at McD's/ KFC etc so not sure about those places but again, I would have thought she would just have some of ours.

I don't see the problem tbh. I am a paying customer so it is not like I walk off the street, have tap water and open up a packed lunch for us both.

I think it depends on where you are. At McD's we'd buy monster a happy meal, pizza hut buffet kids eat free anyway so :shrug: Most of the time we'll buy him his own meal but if we went to Nando's we'd share.

I personally found that the 'family friendly' type places to be the most rude if we didn't order a meal tbh. Harvester was shocking, unhelpful and inpatient when we last went and we'll never go there again :nope:

ermm i think when they can eat a decent amount of the meal to be honest if not then whats the point in paying for something that they wont eat :shrug: or maybe im just a tight arse lol..with my nephew he had stuff off my sil's plate until he was 4 when he started to eat a decent amount.

<3

We eat out a lot. Most of the time I order something I know he will eat & we share. I only order a special meal for him if I'm having a steak which he doesnt like. I usually order something with chicken as he will always eat it. We dont go out alone, most of the time we'r 3-5 adults, so there is always lots of food for all of us including Omar to share.

We go to lots of open buffet restaurant & he can eat for free until he's 5-6 yrs then we have to pay 1/2 price.

Once he starts eating a decent amount, he will get his own meal. If he doesnt like the food, I always have some snacks like cheese sticks & fruit pot in his changing bag, & I give him those if he refuses to eat from what we'r eating. He's still in the stage of tasting food rather than properly eating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"