What are you wearing for the birth...?

Mrs G

Lily and Tommy's mummy
Reaction score
An obvious question but as I had elective c section last time I was gowned up and didn't even consider what would be practical to wear for labour!

Am thinking black bra top and vest top? Also taking black pjs and black tracky bottoms?

Any suggestions?

Xx

I wore a nightie with buttons at the top to place baby underneath when he arrived last time and the nightie still covered my tummy after birth! Will do the same this time too.

I was in my normal maternity day clothes last time because I barely had time to get my jeans off. The tight fitting maternity top wasn't very comfortable afterwards and got covered in blood etc. This time I'm hoping for a water birth so probably a bikini top and nothing else.

A nightie with buttons at top to allow for skin to skin without being over exposed

Could someone link to the type of nightie you are talking about? I guess for whatever reason I always thought I had to be naked with just a hospital gown, and I was prepared to fight my doctor if she didn't let me wear a sports bra during delivery. I had no idea you could even wear something else.

I have this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F0MTL7G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01

Not bf but do want skin to skin. Have just got a blue best top from new look with poppers down the front. Hoping it'll protect a tiny bit of dignity but am guessing I won't care when the time comes!! X

Same as a pp said - both times I didn't have time to change into anything but just take my tights off and that was it

I had a nightie for my previous births, just a normal one no buttons, it was only to birth in and I pulled it up for skin on skin and just put the bed cover over us, this time iv no idea what to get because I'm hoping for a water birth and I want to be covered still :/

I have bought a nightie to wear. I ended up giving birth naked last time though for some reason, haha!

I'm hoping for a water birth so just planning a long vest top and nothing else and if I change my mind and have a bed delivery then I still end up wearing the same thing depending if it wet or not, if yes I'll change into another top I have in my bag

I have a bra that opens in the front that I can wear in the tub. The was my one big thing because the first time around I just wore a sports bra, but I wanted to nurse straight away this time. Other than that probably pajama pants and a comfy shirt. I changed into a gown pretty soon after arriving to the hospital the first time around, so it doesn't much matter to me.

I bought a few cheap nighties on sale that are bright and fun but I won't care to just throw away after with blood etc. They are large to fit my bump and therefore baggy around my chest so I think I can whip a boob out to nurse or pull it down for skin to skin. I will probably pack a nursing sports/sleep bra in case I decide bra less isn't working or I decide to forgo the nighty but don't want to be totally bare.

FTM so is only what I THINK will be helpful/comfortable...

I actually asked about this in our last natural birthing class. All of the videos we watched of births the women are naked. Our instructor said that you can sometimes gauge how far along labour is by how much clothes are still left on! She is a doula and said that in her experience, most women end up naked by the time baby comes out, you get to a point where you don't have any self-consciousness left, and nighties often feel too awkward or baggy when trying to shift positions so women just do away with them. I am thinking I will just wear a nursing bra and an oversized t-shirt, but I will probably just end up in my bra by the end of it.

Could someone link to the type of nightie you are talking about? I guess for whatever reason I always thought I had to be naked with just a hospital gown, and I was prepared to fight my doctor if she didn't let me wear a sports bra during delivery. I had no idea you could even wear something else.
I have something very similar to this https://www.gownies.com/index.php/delivery-gowns/gownie-test-1-107.html

I wore THIS last time, and will be wearing it again but this time with a nursing bra

I had a water birth and wore nothing! I did not care as long as baby was ok & had an 8hr labour & mw's have seen it all. Apparently high on g&a I apologised to them for lying naked in front of them in a bath!! I had a night shirt for after which buttoned the whole way down the front which was perfect for skin to skin & bf'ing after xx

Hi Mrs G. You still hanging in there? When's your appointment on Thursday? I woke from contractions and went to hospital in my red & white tartan pj's. I had black leggings and super comfy nursing hoodie https://m.ebay.com/itm/MIJA-2-in1-M...ie-Top-Pullover-3076-/181884977739?nav=SEARCH
in the hospital bag to come home in. I had a hospital gown on during the birth which was handy for the epidural & the skin to skin after birth. I don't remember how they opened the gown for skin to skin, maybe I was naked? Will have to ask DH.

when I go into hospital, probably just whatever I am wearing that day, something comfy. I want to labour and maybe birth in a bath so probably just bra. I'm probably not going to want to be restricted with clothes esp when they have blood and sweat on them!

Going to the hospital, probably something really easy to pull on and off. Loose pants and plain shirt. I just wear what the hospital provides because by the end of it last time I was practically naked and didn't quite care! Something about giving birth makes you lose all sense of shame!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->