What did you do about weaning??

cherry22

mummy to 1 after 3 losses
Reaction score
My son was prem at 36+2 days but had jundice so bad they thought they would have to transfuse but luckly they didnt!
Because of that he has never eaten properly he is 4 months and will only drink 70-120ml of milk every feed i think he is just fussy aswell!
So i really dont know when to try him on baby rice because he will never show me signs that he wants it!! But his weight is slightly under what it should be which im worring about now!!
He sufferd with colic so bad when he was born and still has painful wind now he doesnt sleep through the night even though i introduced a 'dream feed' that does'nt work!! i really am confused about the whole thing any advice would be great!!! xx

I cant really give you advice as I havent started weaning yet but didnt want to read and run!

I know the Bliss guidelines for weaning premature babies say start between 5 and 7 months actual but when they are at least 3 months corrected so they have more control of their head, if that makes sense.

Im sure one of the lovely experienced ladies will be along to give you advice soon.

We started weaning Sophie when she was 5.5 months actual, 2.5 months corrected. We just started on a spoonful of babyrice after a bottle and gradually increased it then started introducing new things. We took it really slowly and at the start I did things like pureed butternut squash watered down with some of her milk to make it really runny. It purees really well! Sweet potato was another early one we tried, and I think carrot but it doesn't puree quite so easily. Parsnip and courgette were introduced after that, then when we'd tried her on loads of veggies we started with things like mashed up banana, or apple and pear puree.

She's now on 3 meals a day and doing really well - managing lumps really well and dropping 2 of her bottles. She just did that last week - I thought she was going to be on all her bottles forever! She's getting finger foods now too, like toast and some of those organix carrot sticks and rice cakes you can get for babies. She is having meat now too and we are going to introduce fish this week.

I can totally recommend Annabel Karmel's book "Top 100 Baby Purees" - it's like my bible, lol!! It's got loads of advice as well as all the recipes and it's just so helpful!

Good luck when you do start - it's fun! xxxx

I started Chloe and Jaycee at 4 months actual. I rarely use their corrected only if I am in the hospital or doctors.
They were never bad sleepers of a night but they cut all night feeds out all together when I began weaning. It was right for me.

Just before we started weaning... (17 wks) Harry started to wake up in the nights and was unsettled on the whole. He was also taking an interest in the food that we were eating (trying to grab from plate etc)

so when you start for the first time would you give him just one spoonful of baby rice with milk with only one feed out of the day? and then after a few days increase to two and so on??
Its just that if i do it after the feed he isnt hungry because he wont take eny more of the bottle!!!!!
Im really excited about doing it and im getting that book but im also abit scared about it!!! x

I'm so nervous about weaning. Our baby is 23 weeks but adjusted 13 weeks. I don't want to wean too soon as stomach may not have developed properly. What I'm planning to do at the moment is wait until he is around 28 weeks (real) and 18 adjusted. This is because his real age is within the 5-7 months recommended by Bliss but his adjusted is still over the 4 months recommended earliest time for 'normal' babies. Does that make sense? Also, I'm hoping if I wait a bit, his head control will be better so he will be less likely to choke and hopefully he will start to show more of the signs of being ready for weaning. I'm not going to introduce foods not recommended until babies are 6 months until he is 6 months adjusted - better safe than sorry. I'm also going to go really slowly. Anyone think I should be doing it differently. I'm a first time mum so don't have all the answers!

Stargirlll it sounds sensible to me hunny :hugs: x we looked for a happy medium too. Bliss guidelines did scare me but in hindsight we should have just got on with it. I think they key is to start slowly but be brave! That was our diwnfall and we still struggle now. We simpily were too frightened ;)
A bouncer chair would be adequate too, when it comes to support x

I waited until nearly 7 months corrected but even then my lo was 3 1/2 months as I also followed bliss guidelines. I didnt use dairy, meat etc until 6 months corrected either. Don't think there is a right or wrong so go what you are comfortable with.

so when you start for the first time would you give him just one spoonful of baby rice with milk with only one feed out of the day? and then after a few days increase to two and so on??
Its just that if i do it after the feed he isnt hungry because he wont take eny more of the bottle!!!!!
Im really excited about doing it and im getting that book but im also abit scared about it!!! x

We started giving him 2 spoonfuls at dinner time <before bottle> He didnt like the baby rice so we gave him the porridge ..with milk from his bottle. I cant remember how long we did that. He also enjoyed sucking on a banana. We let him tell us when he wanted more...if he didnt want it he spat it out lol

I really struggled with weaning Rosalie she is such a fussy child. I tried the baby rice too and she wasnt really into that. I started weaning around 6 months actual age. As i was told in terms of feeding to go on there actual age? Not sure of the truth in this. It made sense to me though seeing as she had been getting fed since she was born. Anyway Rosalie has only just started to eat lumps and shes just turned one! i made the mistake of trying her with pureed rice puddings etc so she developed a sweet tooth it took alot of persistence to get her to eat savoury things. Then i started with finger foods but i had a fear of her choking so it was all a very slow proccess and i never cut out any of her bottles because she just wasnt eating enough solids. And the only way she came to accept lumpy food was by giving her a variety of finger foods she basically taught herself to chew etc. I was at one point getting really stressed out than she wasnt eating how i wanted but once i relaxed and let her take her own time it all just fell into place xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->