What do babies wear in freezing cold climates?

laughingduck

Mother of one daughter
Reaction score
First of all you'll have to excuse my ignorance, I know very little about babies as I've been around very few in my life. I've never even changed a diaper! Also all my friends with babies live in a different climate (I moved) so can't help me with this one.
I'm just starting to buy stuff for my baby, and am a little stuck with the clothes. I will deliver in September, which can be nice and warm, but it can get very cold come November/December (sometimes as cold as -30 celsius!). So far I've bought her a few sleepers with feet but I don't feel like they'd be warm enough in the draughty house, which we'll only keep at about 17-18 celsius. I am so lost in the baby clothing section though I have no clue what I'm supposed to be buying. Are layers good or is one thicker item better? Do they wear hats indoors or do they just fall off like I've been told socks do? Can you put baby socks over the onesies with feet, or are the feet enough? How do you dress them to go outside and in the car when it's so cold? If anyone could give me some tips I'd appreciate it.

I feel a bit embarrassed that I know so little about it all :blush:

Also if mommies who already have babies have any pics of their LO's dressed up I'd love to see them to get inspired! :)

I guess layers are best. You'll need an all in one snow suit for outdoors. Technically babies shouldn't wear hats indoors but if you live somewhere really cold it may be best to check with your midwife. I'd also buy some tights, regardless of whether its a girl or boy.
I guess you would put on a bodysuit, with long or short sleeves, tights then either a sleepsuit or clothes, long sleeve t-shirt, jumper/cardy, trousers or skirt etc then all in one and hat when going outdoors.

Ive heard layers are meant to be best, you could have nappy, vest, onsie, clothes or whatever else you feel you need. I know the winters here are nowhere near as cold as yours, but we had so much snow last year, im preparing for it again this year, good excuse for cute snowsuits ^_^

My baby will be due november and when out will be in nappy,vest,sleepsuit and snow suit in the house though it will just be nappy,vest and sleepsuit

Layers definitely. The essentials are: a onesie, socks, mittens, hat, long sleeve shirt and pants. If it's very cold, be sure to put a jacket on the baby and also have a warm blanket ready.

I count my blessings evey day that we live in Florida:)

I probably won't be saying that in middle of July though!!! LOL:)

My son was born in September, and Im Canadian like you. By winter, we were putting him in his diaper, then layering that with and undershirt, then either a warm sleeper or a long shirt/pants, then a snowsuit that had built in hood/hat and covered hands and feet. If it was really cold, then we covered him up as well with a blanket.

In the house, since you plan on keeping around a cool room temperature, Id suggest the diaper, sleeper, and a blanket. Not one too thick though, cause that's not good for baby, just a light one. But if little one still seems a little cold, then put a diaper shirt on them, diaper shirts really are a god send, and you'll need lots, especially if your little one ever leaks their diapers. The only other thing I would suggest is try not to put too many layers on the legs, since you'll want to make your access to changing the diaper as easy as possible, since you're going to be doing it so often.

Also, I know you have a preference for keeping the house temp down, but even if just for a couple months or so, you could consider putting it up just a little bit to help keep LO one. In those early months, they can't really maintain a good temp on their own, they need help, or even get a space heater for LO's room to keep on low just to keep them warm at least while sleeping, it really will help you cut down on the number of layers needed.

Thank you for all the tips! Ali90 why shouldn't babies wear hats indoors?

This is a pic of the items I've picked up so far. If I took, say, the sleeper on the right, then put a sweater over top, would I also need to add pants or would that be enough? Also, does anyone use these types of blankets for around the house or are they just for sleeping? https://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3549207

SatansSprite I'm also from Ontario! Parts of the house will be warmer than 17, but it's a big house and so expensive to heat (this will actually be our first winter in it but have seen past bills from the previous owner). There is a gas fireplace in the kitchen/living area that will doubtless be one to heat that space up more. We will be co-sleeping with her for the first few months (with something like this https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Snuggle-Nest-Blue-Patchwork/dp/B0001Y9VN2 between us). I always keep the bedroom at 17, any hotter and I wake up boiling hot! Do you think our body heat and blankets will be enough to keep her warm or do you still think I should raise the temperature?

Thanks again for the replies, there is so much to learn, it's a bit overwhelming at times!

Attachments

• baby clothes.jpg
    baby clothes.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 8
Hello! I am here in Ontario too and about to have my second - also in November! Since you are keeping your house cool - I would dress LO in undershirts and sleepers with feet. I would usually have a little hat for LO if he was cold - but he would get cold quite quickly as he was born early.

For sleeping I used a 2.5 TOG sleep sack (these are great!) over his sleeper and mitts (his hands were always freezing). Babies often have cold hands and feet though - until their circulation really gets going! xx I would put a hat on him if it seemed extra cold, but I found the sleep sack really great - they don't roll out of it and get cold!

For outside, I bought a sleeping bag for his stroller and carseat that you put them in so they don't need a snow suit. When they're only a few months old, there isn't much reason to get a snowsuit - I find the bunting bags ok, but really like the sleeping bags. They only need regular warm indoor clothes and a hat. I bought a 7am enfant le sac igloo which we love. https://www.7amenfant.com/ls500-presentation.html

Here's a pic of Bun all bundled up to go outside for a walk in -30 degrees! xx

The rough rule is baby should be wearing one more layer than you x

Indoors and to sleep we just put a vest and a sleepsuit on amelie and sometimes a cardigan. Outside she was in the same plus a snowsuit and hat with a blanket :)

I'm in Montreal.

Mine wears a normal shirt and pants (or sleep suit) and I wear him tight against me in a sling, and put my big thick coat overtop :) I also have an XL jacket so I can wear him on my back as he's older.

This is just my OH's snow jacket. He is wearing a sleep suit similar to my avatar. Makes life easier for me as I walk my dog outside several times a day and can't be bothered with layers. Easier to layer myself LOL

Attachments

• 148585_10150324536435317_542980316_15873992_3729072_n.jpg
    148585_10150324536435317_542980316_15873992_3729072_n.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 6
if your cosleeping you should be ok, just make sure you check LO to see if they are cold or not. And like was said, hands and feet do tend to feel colder mos times even if baby isn't. I found the best place to check and see if my son was warm or cold was in the back of the neck area. And yeah, what someone said about a full snowsuit not being needed, I would agree. We had an insulated bag like thing that actually had a hole for a carseat strap to go through for awhile, we only moved over to an actual snowsuit when he outgrew that and the snowsuit was given to us, although the bunting sack was A LOT easier.

It might take a little trial and error to find the right number of layers that works for your LO, but I think you'll figure it out. Your LO will give you signs of being uncomfortable if they get too cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"