• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

what do you actually 'get' now? (money)

Single parents name in this thread as the example of people that don't deserve help....... It's not easy being a single parent, but people with partners/husbands will never understand that.

From my experience I was better off as a single parent.. I had a lot more money when I was on benefits and it as all wrong to be honest.. there are too many people out there that will just knock another kid out and reap in the rewards.. I wasnt on them for long, I did it because I had too but I was a lot better off.. Now my partner works, were not entitled to anything and we have to scrape by every month just to put food in our mouths.. we have to pay full rent and council tax and are not entitled to anything.. Im not moaning about it because it was our choice to have a child and weve managed but Im just stating the point as Iv been on both sides and in my opinion you are better off financially as a single parent claiming benefits in this country unless your earning a really high income.

You have had a reduction the government upped the amount you can earn before having to pay tax!

I dont see why people have this 'I'm having a baby what are the government going to give me?' attitude? The government handing out money to everyone is what got us into debt in the first place and somehow it has to be paid back!

I'm glad they've taken the £190 grant away it was a waste of money in the first place! The £500 grant is still available for LOW income families for the first child they have so they are still helping people that need it!
What caused the financial crisis was not our "over-generous" welfare state (if you look at other European countries with a much lower deficit and fewer economic problems than the UK, their welfare states are far more generous when it comes to families), but the government deregulating the financial sector.

Now what's happened is the financial sector has been bailed out with our income taxes with no benefit for the people who work hard to pay them, and these banks and hedge funds are still being allowed to behave irresponsibly.

In Germany, where the financial sector is far more regulated, statutory maternity pay is higher, statutory maternity leave is longer, and child benefit is higher. Families are supported regardless of where they are socio-economically.

It's time to stop this whole scapegoating of fellow mothers and families and "benefit scroungers caused the financial crisis" nonsense. It's a typical divide and rule tactic by the Tory government (with their donors and friends in the business world) and it's sickening to watch.

I guess it different for everybody be working or on benefits.

For me as a single parent to 3 and pregnant again, we all have different outgoings aswell as the usual household bills, or maybe I was just very unlucky to be left with so much debt from ex partner.

The people that get my back up are the people that have never worked and for whatever reason they seem to get away with having to work.

For me being a single parent is hard, not only financially but with no help off my kids dads as one pissed off on holiday for 2 weeks and never returned, that was 3 years ago. Plus the other disappeared the day I told him I was pregnant with this baby.

I may come into the catergory of being a single parent on benefits, but I am also not entitled to the grants etc.
Plus my eldest is nearly 18 and not working, he's not entitled to money yet and i don't get paid nothing to feed and cloth him.

Each persons situation is different.

For me as a single parent to 3 and pregnant again, we all have different outgoings aswell as the usual household bills, or maybe I was just very unlucky to be left with so much debt from ex partner.

The people that get my back up are the people that have never worked and for whatever reason they seem to get away with having to work.

For me being a single parent is hard, not only financially but with no help off my kids dads as one pissed off on holiday for 2 weeks and never returned, that was 3 years ago. Plus the other disappeared the day I told him I was pregnant with this baby.

I may come into the catergory of being a single parent on benefits, but I am also not entitled to the grants etc.
Plus my eldest is nearly 18 and not working, he's not entitled to money yet and i don't get paid nothing to feed and cloth him.

There's nothing to feel bad about being a single parent on benefits, although there are a lot of loud voices who would try to make you feel otherwise. Sure, it's not ideal, but it's what they are there for :)

Doesn't your son get the EMA or have they got rid of that too?

Yep basically nothing if you work! we are lucky to get an maternity really I mean what do they do with all the money they tax me at the end of the month, coz I don't get any of it back! I would be quite happy not getting any benefits if they just taxed me less so I could keep more of what I actually get of my arse to earn!

I'm guessing your not using the NHS at all then! free prescriptions whilst pregnant? free dental care? NHS Midwife? NHS Hospital?

Not to mention all the other things Income Tax pays for!

Yes its unfair that LOW income families arent getting as much help but you cant say your not getting anything back! It would cost alot more to have a baby if you had to pay for your healthcare. Just having a baby in a private hospital costs over £10000!

Yeah I think you get the idea we know what the taxes are supposed to pay for!
Yes we all use the NHS, but a little bit of help back for all the years of hard work would be appreciated by many families. I'm not asking for benefits just a reduction in the amount of tax I pay on what I earn each month!

You have had a reduction the government upped the amount you can earn before having to pay tax!

I dont see why people have this 'I'm having a baby what are the government going to give me?' attitude? The government handing out money to everyone is what got us into debt in the first place and somehow it has to be paid back!

I'm glad they've taken the £190 grant away it was a waste of money in the first place! The £500 grant is still available for LOW income families for the first child they have so they are still helping people that need it!

what we are actually getting at is that the government seem to help the people who dont want to help themselves!! obviously you and your OH get a comfy income either that or you are on benefits and dont feel the stresses as a family me and my OH earn £1300 per month my rent and council tax is £600 per month speaks for its self really on average the gas and electric comes in at just over £100 per month so we have under £100 per week to pay travel expenses to get to work to feed and cloth our selves and our children pay tv liscence water rates and all the rest of it. We worked out that a woman on her own with two kids would get a free house no rent no council tax and then would have £150 to feed and clothe her family (which is one less person) and she has no travel expenses to pay for to get to work. :shrug:

I think the original point of this thread was asking if we knew what the government was offering in terms of money before having the baby. It seems to be like taking small grants and benefits off of pregnant women is supposed to save the economy well its not.

I know people who live in 3 bedrooms houses with gardens half the size of a football pitch on benefits. Who could not possibly afford to live in houses like this, have bills paid, council tax paid and still have over 150 pounds a week to live on (a couple on benefits with one child can get this - especially if you are on ESA). If some people get this why shoudn't honest, hard working people get something back such as help to start a family?

I personally wouldn't mind paying tax & NI if the system was right i.e. NHS wasn't so dirty and you actually got given more than 5 minutes at a scan, and you didn't have to wait an hour for a consultant appointment. The police actually did their job, the army were not sent to war for no reason and we weren't having the olympics. A very very small amount of what you pay you get back in terms of a service - It is as simple as that.

Although worst case scenario, at this being in the UK losing your job you can always claim :) LOL

x

this makes me think of another thing, buying ahouse! we rent and have no hope at the moment of getting on the property ladder. between the two of us we get around 1200 a month, 525 rent, 100 elec and gas, water bill which was huge last time think around 100. i pay 100 in a debt management plan. 25 tv licence, 120 council tax, 35 phone bill for me, i think OH is similar, so say 30. then he buys petrol and he pays 25 internet. thats 1005 without petrol as i dont know how much that costs. and thats without food.....oh my god i never did this before lol! my original point was goin to be how do i ever save for a deposit....now im thinking its no wonder im in my overdraft every month!!!

Yep basically nothing if you work! we are lucky to get an maternity really I mean what do they do with all the money they tax me at the end of the month, coz I don't get any of it back! I would be quite happy not getting any benefits if they just taxed me less so I could keep more of what I actually get of my arse to earn!

I'm guessing your not using the NHS at all then! free prescriptions whilst pregnant? free dental care? NHS Midwife? NHS Hospital?

Yes its unfair that LOW income families arent getting as much help but you cant say your not getting anything back! It would cost alot more to have a baby if you had to pay for your healthcare. Just having a baby in a private hospital costs over £10000!

it costs just over £4000 to have a bay in private hospital and that includes all your antenatal care and a 48 hour stay in hospital and for your labour etc thats at st.john and st.elizabeth hospital in london were kate moss had her baby.
Also the dentist would only cost £15 per check up i have only been once during pregnancy and i know some people do use medications during pregnancy but i have only needed a couple at £7 each so am i really that better off to say for the last 7 year i have paid approx 16k in income tax not to mention the national insurance and my OH had paid approx 44k in income tax (no national insurance) since he started work (hes a lot older than me lol) and he has never so much as had a stay in hospital :-/
its is a fact that i would be better off financially if i was a single mom not working claiming of the state with my 2 kids than if i stayed with OH and we both slog our guts out we did actually work it out out of curiosity as we were pissed off about thelack of help we are entitled to as a low income family

That £4k figure doesnt include epidurals, assisted deliveries, god frobid you need a csection cos then you'll be charged for anaesthesia, the anaesthesist, the surgeon, the stay afterwards etc etc

There's nothing to feel bad about being a single parent on benefits, although there are a lot of loud voices who would try to make you feel otherwise. Sure, it's not ideal, but it's what they are there for :)

Doesn't your son get the EMA or have they got rid of that too?

suprise suprise they have stopped that too my mom has to support my sister while she tries to better her life :-@ another example of politics gone mad she is studying to be a legal represenatative and what help does she get for trying to better her life zilch :shrug:

it costs just over £4000 to have a bay in private hospital and that includes all your antenatal care and a 48 hour stay in hospital and for your labour etc thats at st.john and st.elizabeth hospital in london were kate moss had her baby.
Also the dentist would only cost £15 per check up i have only been once during pregnancy and i know some people do use medications during pregnancy but i have only needed a couple at £7 each so am i really that better off to say for the last 7 year i have paid approx 16k in income tax not to mention the national insurance and my OH had paid approx 44k in income tax (no national insurance) since he started work (hes a lot older than me lol) and he has never so much as had a stay in hospital :-/
its is a fact that i would be better off financially if i was a single mom not working claiming of the state with my 2 kids than if i stayed with OH and we both slog our guts out we did actually work it out out of curiosity as we were pissed off about thelack of help we are entitled to as a low income family

That £4k figure doesnt include epidurals, assisted deliveries, god frobid you need a csection cos then you'll be charged for anaesthesia, the anaesthesist, the surgeon, the stay afterwards etc etc

Its an extra £750 a night u need to stay in me and OH researched it out of curiosity lol we do stupid things like this we will say when we are rich we will do this lol you gotta have hope pmsl. We look at silly houses on net aswell that we would never be able to afford unless we became drug dealers or something lol and say oooo we will put th fihing pond there PMSL fantasists lol my mum laughs her head of at me

Yeah I think you get the idea we know what the taxes are supposed to pay for!
Yes we all use the NHS, but a little bit of help back for all the years of hard work would be appreciated by many families. I'm not asking for benefits just a reduction in the amount of tax I pay on what I earn each month!

what we are actually getting at is that the government seem to help the people who dont want to help themselves!! obviously you and your OH get a comfy income either that or you are on benefits and dont feel the stresses as a family me and my OH earn £1300 per month my rent and council tax is £600 per month speaks for its self really on average the gas and electric comes in at just over £100 per month so we have under £100 per week to pay travel expenses to get to work to feed and cloth our selves and our children pay tv liscence water rates and all the rest of it. We worked out that a woman on her own with two kids would get a free house no rent no council tax and then would have £150 to feed and clothe her family (which is one less person) and she has no travel expenses to pay for to get to work. :shrug:

I think the original point of this thread was asking if we knew what the government was offering in terms of money before having the baby. It seems to be like taking small grants and benefits off of pregnant women is supposed to save the economy well its not.

I know people who live in 3 bedrooms houses with gardens half the size of a football pitch on benefits. Who could not possibly afford to live in houses like this, have bills paid, council tax paid and still have over 150 pounds a week to live on (a couple on benefits with one child can get this - especially if you are on ESA). If some people get this why shoudn't honest, hard working people get something back such as help to start a family?

I personally wouldn't mind paying tax & NI if the system was right i.e. NHS wasn't so dirty and you actually got given more than 5 minutes at a scan, and you didn't have to wait an hour for a consultant appointment. The police actually did their job, the army were not sent to war for no reason and we weren't having the olympics. A very very small amount of what you pay you get back in terms of a service - It is as simple as that.

Although worst case scenario, at this being in the UK losing your job you can always claim :) LOL

x

this makes me think of another thing, buying ahouse! we rent and have no hope at the moment of getting on the property ladder. between the two of us we get around 1200 a month, 525 rent, 100 elec and gas, water bill which was huge last time think around 100. i pay 100 in a debt management plan. 25 tv licence, 120 council tax, 35 phone bill for me, i think OH is similar, so say 30. then he buys petrol and he pays 25 internet. thats 1005 without petrol as i dont know how much that costs. and thats without food.....oh my god i never did this before lol! my original point was goin to be how do i ever save for a deposit....now im thinking its no wonder im in my overdraft every month!!!

sophie22
Try making a spreadsheet of all your outgoings this will really help when baby comes, I have done this for years and I can see where I can make cuts if I need to and also can compare and change providers when they come up for renewal I just saved £20 a month on car insurance shopping around, I keep checking prices to see if I can make changes to save money.

At least once I'm on maternity leave I will be saving the £60 a week I pay for petrol getting to work!

I have also been buying one item for baby a month since getting pregnant which has softened the blow financially, even though the majority of baby stuff has been second hand of ebay or nct sales or even hand me downs. Some items had to be bought new though.

I don't think bringing up a family is easy and I do feel more should be done for working families. After all it will be our children that will be paying the taxes in the future!

Sadly Id agree there, I know there are circumstances where there are single parents that canot afford to attempt to work and survive, but theres also a lot of situations where people dont want to. When I went to find out what I could/couldnt do once going on Maternity, the lady at the citizens advise drew up a list ..
1 of me working full time, living with my partner and paying childcare ( the childcare would be £220+ a week and they would help £52)
1 of me working partime, living with my partner and paying childcare (childcare would be £120+) a week and they would help £67
and lastly.. If I just gave up work and they would pay my half of the rent, Council Tax and so on.
The results increased dramatically if I was a single parent and not working.
She even "advised" on the stats that financially whislt in a couple - I would be better not to work ?!!

Based on those statistics you can see why some people dont work, as we are busting a gut pretty much for nothing except being worse off... yet the government "promotes" single parents or parents to work.. doesnt make sense to me

Single parents name in this thread as the example of people that don't deserve help....... It's not easy being a single parent, but people with partners/husbands will never understand that.

From my experience I was better off as a single parent.. I had a lot more money when I was on benefits and it as all wrong to be honest.. there are too many people out there that will just knock another kid out and reap in the rewards.. I wasnt on them for long, I did it because I had too but I was a lot better off.. Now my partner works, were not entitled to anything and we have to scrape by every month just to put food in our mouths.. we have to pay full rent and council tax and are not entitled to anything.. Im not moaning about it because it was our choice to have a child and weve managed but Im just stating the point as Iv been on both sides and in my opinion you are better off financially as a single parent claiming benefits in this country unless your earning a really high income.

me too i was a single parent on benefits for about 2 month when my first sons dad left me i was much more better of then than i am now with partner. Even as single working person i used to get so much extra tax credits per week and a discount on my council tax :-/ now i have a partner even though our income has consderable gone down nada we got naf all other than £20odd per week tax credits and £20pw child benefit.
Im not saying bad things against single moms claiming benefits at all my mom brought up me and my sis on benfits and like i say i previously claimed them my self but then got offered support from family with childcare so got my self a job.
The thing that makes me mad is for example my income whent down and my partner moved in to help me out and the benfits whent down even though we were worse off for money if you undestand what i mean i took a pay decrease he moved in to help me out they removed some of my tax credits so i was even worser off still :shrug: and then there is the flamin drug addicts and alcoholics these are the ones that piss me off if people are genuinly ill then so be it they are entitled to claim money of the government as they have no other option but drug addicts and alcoholics claim DLA since when the frig is it a disability to be stuck on heroin:growlmad: they gotthem selves in that mess no one made um do it they should get there selves the hell out of it not make us pay for their drugs they claim benefits which could be used much better else were and then they steal from us aswell :shrug:
the system needs relooking at

Its an extra £750 a night u need to stay in me and OH researched it out of curiosity lol we do stupid things like this we will say when we are rich we will do this lol you gotta have hope pmsl. We look at silly houses on net aswell that we would never be able to afford unless we became drug dealers or something lol and say oooo we will put th fihing pond there PMSL fantasists lol my mum laughs her head of at me

Private care has its place. I'd opt for it if I couldnt get treatment on the NHS but we have a few patients a year who go to BUPA for a hip replacement and end up in our NHS ward for rehab cos BUPA dont do rehabilitation :shrug: What a waste of money :shrug:

it actually is hard and bloody degrading being a single parent on benefits....i have 4teens and a 3year old and pregnant, my first husband racked uplots of debt and left me in the shit...i lost my house over it and what was annoying is i always worked, spent 10 yearstraining and have a PhD!!!! I was earning 50k plus as i worked ft in research/education and ran a private practive pt, whilst also writing a book!

I managed to sort the financial crap out but as i said did lose the house and had to look for private rented, which was hard to get....but i did it carried on working....met hubbby number 2, thoughthad it all planned, his career plans,baby,marriage....had our lovely son, ex husband refusedto pay towards our 4 teens and current hubby dropped bombshell he was up to neck in debt and couldn't afford to contribute, expected me to foot bill for everything!!!!!

I found out he was cheated whilst i was working evenings (aswell as ft), totally taking piss and eventually found out he had another baby same time i got pregnant-on our wedding night!

I had to ditch the bas**rd but it left me depressed, self esteem shattered, in bits as i really really loved him and at 40 didn't want to be in this situation, when i met him i had a fab job and teenage kids...now i could no longer afford childcare, 4-5 hour day commutes and i was ill with the stres and emotional blackmail i wassubject to.

In the end i wastold that even though i had a good job i was worse off by about £400 per month....my rent is £900 per month! When i could no longer do the commute no longer after breaking down at work i found this to be true!

I am indeed better off not working than not working and can be there for all the kids, my first ex has never contributed and my second only contributes 100 per month.

But its hard as a hardworking professional woman to feel like a 'scrounger', i have had to sacrifice my career that i worked hard for, i traveled the world presenting at conferences, had an interesting job and authored books but my field is a career that once you have been out for a while you just cannot get back into.....i know its going to be at least 2 years before i can start to think about myself as kids needs have to be priority and they have been through it too.

My plans now are to do a masters in social work when i can get back to work as it is funded, get childcare 85% paid then hopefully with my existing qualifications go into social work management or camhs and after 3-5 years in post hopeto earn what i did prior!

So yes, on paper benefits for me as a single parent do pay....but i would rather be able to have continued my career and have been able to care for my kids. I don't have close family, father 1 doesn't see his kids-his choice as his new wife doesn't want him too and father 2 seesour son 1 day a week if suits, being the sole carerfor 5 kids with no support is bloody hard.......

I want to work,but can't...i want my own house again for stability as moving around in rented is such a strain and no stability. I have great friends but its hard as they are all financially well off and whilst we are similar people i do feel embarressedto find myselfin such a situation.

So whilst yes there are some peopleon benefits who abuse the system someof us finding ourselves having no choice but having to turn to the system sometimes in our lives because we cannot carry on working and be a good parent.

This thread turned into a scapegoat/ muddy political thread didn't it! :)

I think everyone should be entitled to help regardless if they are a single mum with 4 kids or a mum in a relationship with earnings over (like someone mentioned) 46k. Why the hell not? In Sweden for example you have the opportunity to have equal maternity/ paternity leave. The maternity money you get are based on your annual earnings and gives you the possibility to receive money you can actually live on regardless if you are out of work or a high earner. (There is a roof for how much maternity pay you can get.)

Ok the taxes are higher there in general but its a way that works.

I couldn't afford child care here, my friends pay £1500 a month for childcare to be able to work/ keep their jobs. (they need to put in the hours ie between 50-65 a week) And yes they are like me highly educated with studenloans that span about 6 years and started working as interns juggling 3 jobs to get experience in their field and decided to have kids after 30 to be more financially stable. They all still struggle. No thanks, I'm leaving.

Its a concious decision to have a child and I take full responsibility and I knew hat I was in for, dont get me wrong. This is just my view on the UK.

I think everyone should be entitled to help regardless if they are a single mum with 4 kids or a mum in a relationship with earnings over (like someone mentioned) 46k. Why the hell not? In Sweden for example you have the opportunity to have equal maternity/ paternity leave. The maternity money you get are based on your annual earnings and gives you the possibility to receive money you can actually live on regardless if you are out of work or a high earner. (There is a roof for how much maternity pay you can get.)

I couldn't afford child care here, my friends pay £1500 a month for childcare to be able to work/ keep their jobs. (they need to put in the hours ie between 50-65 a week) And yes they are like me highly educated with studenloans that span about 6 years and started working as interns juggling 3 jobs to get experience in their field and decided to have kids after 30 to be more financially stable. They all still struggle. No thanks, I'm leaving.

Its a concious decision to have a child and I take full responsibility and I knew hat I was in for, dont get me wrong. This is just my view on the UK.

your right it did turn a bit daft lol
the be all of end all i think is that you should not get penailised for being in a couple that is how me and OH feel we get a reduction of £50 a week just for being a couple but we dont earn anymore than a single person thats what upsets me really when my MA stops my OH will be bringing in £800 a month :-/ we could really do with the £50 extra to help us with bills etc etc but we cant have it because we are a couple and that is only available for single people :-/

your right it did turn a bit daft lol
the be all of end all i think is that you should not get penailised for being in a couple that is how me and OH feel we get a reduction of £50 a week just for being a couple but we dont earn anymore than a single person thats what upsets me really when my MA stops my OH will be bringing in £800 a month :-/ we could really do with the £50 extra to help us with bills etc etc but we cant have it because we are a couple and that is only available for single people :-/

Hell yeah, girl! The system clearly isn't working! xx :kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"