What do you have for Christmas Dinner?

Eve

Reaction score
I always do a turkey and a ham for the main meat, then mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, carrots, and cranberry jelly. This thanksgiving I did a homemade stuffing and it turned out real well (I went off what I remember my grandmother making a few years ago). I would love to read about your meal traditions and where you're located :) Sorry if this has been done already this year.

We will most likely be at home this year so I will make turkey and ham, roast potatoes, stuffing, pigs in blankets, roast parsnips, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, carrots and gravy

Reactions: Eve
We have turkey, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, Yorkshires, stuffing, pigs in blankets, sprout, carrots, peas, cranberry sauce and gravy. DH does do a ham but we usually have that on Boxing day. Made myself hungry!

We tend to have a different meat depending on what we fancy. I think we are going turkey and ham this year.
Roast potatoes
Gravy
Cranberry sauce
Honey roast parsnips
Sprouts
Mashed carrot and swede or mashed sweet potato
Yorkshire puddings
Pigs in blankets
Stuffing

Dessert we have a Christmas pudding for those who like it and either chocolate bomb or cheesecake for the others

Last edited:
There is usually 13 of us so a big dinner. We have turkey, lamb, pigs in blankets, stuffing, yorkies, creamed cabbage, creamed spinach, carrots, broccoli cheese, sprouts, Cauliflower, parsnips, mash and roast potatoes. I love our Christmas dinner and pray that we can all be together as usual this Christmas.

Turkey
Yorkshire puddings
Stuffing
Pigs in blankets
Mash
Roast potatoes
Roasted parsnips
Carrots
Sprouts or broccoli for those that don’t like sprouts
Cauliflower cheese

Gravy, cranberry for those who like it and mint sauce for everyone else

we always have trifle for dessert

We are probably just going to be us 4 :( We had planned on going to my parents' in Switzerland. Alas... :cry:

Turkey crown
Gravy
Yorkshire puddings
Stuffing
Potatoes
Red cabbage
Brussel Sprouts
Carrots

And probably profiterols or possibly vanilla ice cream with hot berries after.

Turkey
Beef or Lamb
Roast potatoes
Roast carrots and parsnips
Broccoli
Peas
Yorkshire
Stuffing

Desert usually ice cream and cheesecake. Whatever looks good.

I saw something on Facebook about having your main dinner on Christmas Eve so you aren't rushing about in the kitchen Christmas day (which can end up being stressful)

Seeing as we as are unlikely to have visitors we are thinking about doing it this year. That way Christmas day is eating leftovers, treats etc and more time with the girls.

Turkey
Beef or Lamb
Roast potatoes
Roast carrots and parsnips
Broccoli
Peas
Yorkshire
Stuffing

Desert usually ice cream and cheesecake. Whatever looks good.

I saw something on Facebook about having your main dinner on Christmas Eve so you aren't rushing about in the kitchen Christmas day (which can end up being stressful)

Seeing as we as are unlikely to have visitors we are thinking about doing it this year. That way Christmas day is eating leftovers, treats etc and more time with the girls.

We did that last year. We did our big dinner on Christmas Eve and leftovers Christmas Day :) We did it because we wanted my Gram (god rest her soul) to feel well enough to enjoy dinner and we worried she would be too tired Christmas Day from a gathering Christmas Eve so we did it all in one. It worked out well. She passed in January so she won't be with us for this Christmas, but we may still keep that going.

If I did brussel sprouts I would likely be the only one to eat them. I love them though. I would love to do roast potatoes and mashed. How do you all roast yours? Any special way?

I boil them for 4 minutes, shake them around in an empty pan to roughen the edges a bit, tip them onto a roasting tin containing boiling oil and coat them with them then keep turning every now and then for around an hour and ten minutes :)

If I did brussel sprouts I would likely be the only one to eat them. I love them though. I would love to do roast potatoes and mashed. How do you all roast yours? Any special way?
Luckily I only have 2 who don't eat them.
Potatoes i don't usually do anything special but we've been playing about with potatoes this year so I think we might do something a bit different. The other day I used new potatoes instead of normal ones. Par boiled them, then shook them up in the colander, drizzled a little oil, then shook between each stage to coat them, adding garlic, rosemary, thyme, then on to a tray with red onion and drizzled on honey.

Sorry to hear about your gran. Nice to hear she had a lovely last Christmas with you all.

With potatoes we also sometimes use baby potatoes. Par boil for a few minutes. Into a roaster with oil and salt/pepper. We also sometimes add gravy granules and give it a good shake. Gives them a lovely taste. Not for everyone though as my dad isn't keen when we do them they way.

Thanks for the tips ladies! I've seen photos of them roasted and they look so so so good! Maybe I'll try the recipe once before the holidays to see how my family likes them.

I'm craving a big roast dinner now lol

It does get you like that when you're talking about it haha

It's only the 3 of us and thomas isn't a big eater so I tend to do just a chicken or a gammon joint. Roast potatoes, veg (usually honey roasted carrots, peas, cauliflower cheese etc), pigs in blankets and yorkshires.

In my family its a huge thing so there's always a massive buffet with turkey and chips etc on boxing day but I doubt we'll get to do any of that this year.

The main thing for us is the veg;
Mashed potatoes
Roast potatoes
Sprouts with chestnuts
Broccoli
Carrots
Peas
Sage and onion stuffing
Yorkshire pudding
Roast parsnip, sweet potato, garlic and onions.
For the meat eaters;
Roast chicken
Roast silverside
Pigs in blankets all with gravy
For the veggies it varies, often we just do all the veg, sometimes I'll do something specific, but to be honest, there's rarely enough room on the plate!!

THE ABSOLUTE MUST IS ENOUGH TO HAVE LOADS OF LEFTOVERS FOR BOXING DAY

Dessert - which often isn't touched till boxing day,
Triffle is a must
Melt in the middle choc pudding (or whatever M&S treat has caught the girls eye this year.

I did a homemade stuffing this thanksgiving and it was a hit. I'll definitely make it again. It was my Gram's recipe for the most part. I had to make it by memories of watching her. I use sausage meat, onions, mashed potatatoes, savory and bread crumbs. I didn't have old bread so I just toasted some "stuffing bread" and chopped it up. Everyone here loved it, other than DH as he wouldn't even try it, the brat lol

The main thing for us is the veg;
Mashed potatoes
Roast potatoes
Sprouts with chestnuts
Broccoli
Carrots
Peas
Sage and onion stuffing
Yorkshire pudding
Roast parsnip, sweet potato, garlic and onions.
For the meat eaters;
Roast chicken
Roast silverside
Pigs in blankets all with gravy
For the veggies it varies, often we just do all the veg, sometimes I'll do something specific, but to be honest, there's rarely enough room on the plate!!

THE ABSOLUTE MUST IS ENOUGH TO HAVE LOADS OF LEFTOVERS FOR BOXING DAY

Dessert - which often isn't touched till boxing day,
Triffle is a must
Melt in the middle choc pudding (or whatever M&S treat has caught the girls eye this year.
I agree on having enough left over for a second dinner :haha:

Boxing day leftovers warmed through with poached eggs on toast, yum yum. And roast veg soup is always a hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->