What do you ladies think about...

cupcake0406

Reaction score
Second hand breast pumps?

My friend is selling a double medela breast pump which cost over £200 brand new and she says the parts can be sterilised. I however have read mixed reviews about reusing breast pumps especially the non closed units I.e the ones that are used out of hospitals. I cant decide whether to go for the double pump which my friend is selling or the medela swing which is obviously cheaper but not a double machine. What do you ladies think?

Thankyou xx

I'd use a 2nd hand pump. In my area you can hire/borrow a pump from the Sure Start centre, so I imagine it must be fine once its been sterilised!

I was looking into this today. The problem with second hand pumps is that there are SOME that are "closed system" and SOME that are "open system." The open system ones have the ability to get the breastmilk onto the permanent parts of the pump, making it impossible to sterilize fully, even if you get new nipple shields and tubes. All of the ones you would rent are closed system, meaning the breastmilk does NOT get into the permanent parts and is therefore is sterilized when you replace the parts that obviously touch the milk. If the used pump your looking to get is a closed system pump, it is safe. If it is an open system pump, it is not safe. Here's a short list of closed system pumps:

Hollister Elite® Hollister Lact-e®

Hollister SMB® Breast pump®

Medela Classic® Breast pump

Medela Lactina® Breast pump

Medela Symphony® Breast pump

Bailey Nurture III®

Hygeia EnJoye

And two links I found helpful: Are used breast pumps a good option?
Used Breast Pumps - Breastfeeding Online

With my first I bought a Medella from eBay used. I replaced and sterilized what I could. I haven't a clue if it was open or closed but the parts where the milk ran through was all new parts or sterilized and I didn't have an option to buy a new one so it worked for me.

Hmmm thanks ladies! The one she is selling is medela freestyle double. I wonder whether this is closed or open? Sure I read somewhere previously that its an open system however can't be certain you know what pregnancy brain can be like I'm sure!! I will continue to research :) xx

I got the same exact pump second hand from craigslist for 100$ which is significant savings from the 380$ they want for it in the store here! I'm just replacing all of the parts with new ones and that is that. I have no fears about using it...I'm sure it will do the trick just fine.

Although milk flows through the sterilised tubes and parts, I had an issue with my first backing up, I let it get too full and the milk went back up the tube into the air pipe and pump, it don't affect it but it made me realise after the the pump was pumping air that may have had old milk in it. This would be my only concern.

If the parts are sterilized and it is not broken, I think it is better to borrow. Then you will not have spent a fortune on something you might or might not use!

So long as all the bots can be steralised i dont see a problem at all.

Sass I'm in the uk I saw someone posted from the us that sometimes insurance can cover breast pumps. But unfortunately being in the uk this is not an option. Thankyou ladies for your input :) I appreciate it! Xx

Someone posted a link about medela swing on here last night - with a £25 off code and 10extra off if you join amazon family (free, then cancel)
Makes it a much cheaper -and new- alternantive if you're not sure about the second hand one?

Edit: added post
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...-swing-electric-breastpump-calma-newpost.html

Yes, in the us, we have the possibility of having them sponsored. It's pretty nice.
So the way it was explained at our class is the rental versions are designed to be rentals. The ones that are not rentals have the potential to grow mold and fungus in places you can't see.
Our friends offered us their super expensive pump as they only used it about 10 times and I turned it down for that reason. Also, the teacher said I probably don't need a crazy expensive pump as I don't plan on pumping too often. She said I should just get a $30-$40 hand pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->