What Do You Think?

tverb84

Reaction score
I'm doing my five paragraph essay in my english class on why expecting parents should take parenting courses.I think they should because that way when the baby comes they know how to properly take care of her/him.

I have no clue how to start the essay though. :shrug: Does anyone think expecting parents should take courses?

I didn't take any parenting courses and I'm glad I didn't. We are figuring out what works best through our instincts, talking to family members, and her doctor. :)

Of course if you've never changed a diaper taking a class might be helpful. Luckily hubby helped raise his sister so he was able to teach me the basics.

Good luck on your essay!

Thanks I think I'll try and start it tomorrow.

I don't know, I don't think you could ever be taught in a class what it is actually like to look after a baby. I had a couple of newborn care classes with my midwife abut how to read feeding cues, how to bath them and change nappies, and at the time I thought I was really prepared but I wasn't at all. You still have no idea what it's like to have one of your own, the overwhelming love but responsibility of it being 24/7, being solely financially responsible, and trying to do it all whilst being more tired than you have ever been and recovering from birth. Any class in the world can't tell you what that's like unless you've been there. The first months of motherhood came as such a huge shock to me despite neurotically researching and thinking I was super prepared :haha:

They would have been a massive waste of time for me. If you know how to change a nappy then I don't see much point

I believe parents should get themselves involved in parenting courses, especially people who are new to the world of parenthood. This way, they will be able to be oriented and educated about the do's and don't's of parenting. Joining the said courses will also mold them to become good and ideal parents to their children. They will be able to nourish their child, provide them more than their basic needs and most especially, make them be aware about the importance of having a healthy relationship and environment for the whole family.

I think I need to research different ways of parenting for myself. In a parenting course, I'm sure they tell you what to and what not to do like they did in the hospital. Like I had the instinct to sleep with my baby and they would NOT allow it in the hospital. However, my instincts were right because she would stop breathing in the middle of the night and the only way she wouldn't do it was if she was sleeping on my chest.
So I feel that instinct is the best so far. Although tips every now and then are great :)

Some basics like how to change a nappy and an idea of warning signs that a baby might be sick are good to know but I can't even imagine what parenting classes would involve. Being a good parent will mean different things for every parent as every kid is different. I've babysat kids of a range of ages (from 6 months old to 10 years old) so I doubt I'd find a parenting class any use.

There's no such thing as an ideal parent anyway, parents are still just human. As long as you know how to keep the baby alive and okay the rest of the parenting will depend on the personality of your child.

I would think that taking a class could help new parents at least feel like they were prepared for what was coming, and that confidence boost would help even though there are things that you just can't fully prepare for.

I know that my husband would benefit from someone telling him tips on how to care for a baby. Right now he admires them in other people's arms but is very reluctant to hold them because he worries he'd do it wrong or drop them or something. Being told "there, you now have the skills necessary to keep a baby alive" would be a good morale booster.

I would go to classes I think. Neither DH or I have ever really had anything to do with kids and so we really could do with some lessons! My mum was a bit the same though, never the person wanting to hold someone else's baby (deep down I do though I'm just too shy to ask) but she said once she had her own it was different.

I finished writing my essay today. :thumbup: All I have to do tomorrow is type it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->