What does a UTI feel like ??

tcinks

Reaction score
I've never had one before but I think I might be getting one now! Can you tell me what you symptoms have been?

Lower back ache, sore and crampy around the bladder area (can feel like uterus area) lots of peeing, sore when peeing. That is how it goes for me anyway.

The feeling of your bladder being full constantly. Burning when peeing. General discomfort in my lower abdomen.

UTI symptoms can include: low grade fever, urgency to urinate, pain upon urination, cloudy or odorous urine, bladder pain. You can pick up home test strips at almost any drug store. AZO urinary pain relief is safe during pregnancy, but only for two days, which is typical of this med. You can safely take cranberry pills during pregnancy for prophylaxis of UTI. 100% Cranberry juice is helpful as well. These don't take place of antibiotics like Keflex or Macrobid, but will help in the meantime.
I suggest urgency when suspecting UTI, as it can spread rather quickly to bladder and then kidneys. Not trying to scare you, but I have seen it happen. I am a nurse and deal with a lot of patient UTIs. They are very common in pregnancy.
Best wishes

I'm have them on a fairly frequent basis :( for me of say most noticeable is the sting when you wee and the pain immediately afterwards. Feels like you desperately need to wee again, it's awful and so uncomfortable! Plus your wee will smell of ammonia (like hair dye) and probably be cloudy and dark.

I did read the other day than you can get a UTI with no symptoms though or for example, just the cloudy wee and no pain etc. In pregnancy, I would 100% get yourself to the doctor to be checked. You don't want it to go to a kidney infection. I left mine over a weekend once (I wasn't pregnant at the time) and was in hospital for a week with a severe kidney infection! It's unlikely but not worth the risk!

Thanks for your help ladies. I'll go get checked out.

Has your doctor mentioned taking cranberry capsules SonnyH?

Well she said my leukocytes were high but nitrates not so much, she had to send it off to the lab to be sure. But she wants me to start the antibiotics right away.

Symptoms include discomfort, pain during/after peeing, peeing urgency, cloudy urine, more seriously blood in urine (I've never seen that one) or a fever. I'm thinking I have one right now and I mostly have the cloudy urine. Doesn't seem to be much else that causes it.

Problem starting antibiotics right away is that they might not pick the right one for your UTI. But risk is the UTI becoming a kidney infection. I guess listen to your doc.

Preventative measures once this one is dealt with include cranberry juice/pills, more water intake, not holding your pee, wiping front to back after a bowel movement, wiping and urinating before and after :sex:, possibly praying to various gods to not get any more UTIs if you're prone like I am... :haha:

If you can, try to take some kinda probiotic while taking the antibios. I used to go through horrible cycles of UTI's, followed by thrush from the antibios, followed UTI's from itching and putting creams down there etc! :( a decent probiotic has seemingly prevented this from happening since even though I still get an annoying amount of UTI's each year! I get really slow growing bacteria for some reason so my antibiotics are always a guess at first. The labs always struggle to grow anything but then after a few days, they suddenly get a result. Even with the kidney infection, I was weeing blood and still they couldn't grow anything for 4 days! :-/

Hope it clears up soon and the antibiotics kick in quickly for the pain! In my experience, they do tend too!

Oh and yes, I do take Cranberry capsules, sadly they don't seem hugely effective for me :( I follow all the golden rules religiously, so I don't know why I get them so much! Sex seems to be my main cause even though we are careful and not particularly adventurous in the bedroom lol I genuinely can't have sex two days in a row or I start to get that irritated feeling! Was a nightmare TTC!

If you can, try to take some kinda probiotic while taking the antibios. I used to go through horrible cycles of UTI's, followed by thrush from the antibios, followed UTI's from itching and putting creams down there etc! :( a decent probiotic has seemingly prevented this from happening since even though I still get an annoying amount of UTI's each year! I get really slow growing bacteria for some reason so my antibiotics are always a guess at first. The labs always struggle to grow anything but then after a few days, they suddenly get a result. Even with the kidney infection, I was weeing blood and still they couldn't grow anything for 4 days! :-/

Hope it clears up soon and the antibiotics kick in quickly for the pain! In my experience, they do tend too!

That sounds like a complete nightmare. I feel like the antibiotics I took this time triggered my morning sickness since I felt perfectly fine until then. Mind you I started at 6 weeks, so.. could just be coincidence. And now that I've gotten myself into this 'pills make me vomit' phase, I'm really worried about what's going to happen if I'm told I have to take an antibiotic that comes in pill form only.

Thanks for the help ladies. I'm so nervous about taking medications during pregnancy!! I know they say it's safe and I don't want to risk getting a worse infection, but it still makes me nervous. This is what I'm taking: Nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin, Macrobid). Anyone else take this during pregnancy??

Thanks for the help ladies. I'm so nervous about taking medications during pregnancy!! I know they say it's safe and I don't want to risk getting a worse infection, but it still makes me nervous. This is what I'm taking: Nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin, Macrobid). Anyone else take this during pregnancy??

I took this around 8 weeks when I got a UTI. I had chills and achy feelings with my UTI and those symptoms went away in about three days but they prescribed a week so I did that. I am the same about medicine but the alternative is a worsened UTI that climbs up your system and could kill the baby and damage your kidneys so definitely medicine is a better scenario. I hope it clears up quick. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->