What does "Feeling Real" even mean?

Mild Mango

Reaction score
This is my first pregnancy and I have no idea what people mean when they say "It didn't feel real until...", "when will it feel real?" or something like that. What does "feeling real" even mean? Does it mean feeling like a mom? Does it mean feeling pregnant?

I'm still early on in my pregnancy (6 weeks and some change) and this is my first kid, so it's quite possible I just haven't experienced this fabled epiphany yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy about this baby. It was a planned pregnancy, and we "worked" for 5 months to make this happen. My hubby is excited. Everything is perfect, but nothing has made me super emotional yet.

To me, it already feels real... I guess. :shrug: I really feel like I'm pregnant because I'm battling nausea all day, my boobs are so painful I can't even touch them, and I can't drink for 9 months! I consciously know that I have a small human growing inside me and, if all things go as planned, I will be giving birth sometime in December or early January. I'm a very practical, mellow, non-sentimental person by nature, so maybe this IS my real? But I expected more emotions and snot-nosed happy cries.

I know I'm rambling, and I'm not sure if this post is making any sense. I guess my question is what does "feeling real" mean to you? Did you have some sort of huge emotional moment or was it just a practical realization that this baby is happening? When did it start to feel real for you?

I haven't had any super emotional mommy-to-be moments like you see in the movies, so I'm starting to think my heart is made of stone... or the movies are lying to me. lol

There is definitely a difference between knowing it's real and feeling it's real, and it varies from person to person. I KNEW I was pregnant when I got a positive test, but I didn't FEEL pregnant until I started feeling him move. Even after multiple ultrasounds, even a 3d/4d one, I didn't FEEL pregnant. It didn't feel real. But now when he moves I can picture what he's doing inside and it makes it feel real to me.

It will definitly feel real when you have that baby in your arms, there is absolutely no feeling like it in this world. But once you start to feel him/ her moving inside of you it'll be like "wow I actually have my baby inside of me" well that's how it was for me with my DD anyway :)

It's a truly magical experience from start to finish xx

To me, it doesn't feel real yet. I'm starting my second trimester, have had 2 ultrasounds and saw a healthy fetus growing inside of me, but I don't feel it yet. I know I'm pregnant and that there is new life growing inside of me, but I don't feel it. I also think this is mainly because I have had no major symptoms like sore breasts, nausea and sickness. The only symptoms I had were frequent need to use the bathroom and more naps during daytime. At 14 weeks (according to the ultrasounds, not lmp) I don't even have a bump yet, so I don't look pregnant either. I guess I'll have my "epiphany" when I feel the movements of the fetus, but until then I don't think I'll feel pregnant.

For me, "feels real" went along with finally realizing I was going to have a baby. After years of trying with no luck, and then multiple miscarriages and being told I'd never be able to have a baby, when I got pregnant I still didn't believe I'd get to bring a baby home from the hsp, and it wasn't until I was about 30 weeks that it 'felt real'.

With my first, it felt real when they told me it was time to start pushing. It didn't really hit me until that moment. Some of us are just slow learners, lol.

Im in the same boat. It doesn't feel real to me yet either. I feel like when I start to obviously show, and feel those little kicks then it will start to feel real to me.

I am only 7 weeks, and it took me a bit to realize it was really real when I first found out. Even when I told hubby at 4 weeks, I still couldn't quite understand it! Then at 5 weeks, when we told family, I think that was the ca-ching moment! Lots of crying and hugging and general happiness :) My first appointment is Monday, and I have a feeling I will become emotional that day, mostly because I know I will be poked and prodded, and I am NOT a fan of that stuff! But I think once I start showing and buying baby stuff, it will become much more real :)

For me I feel nauseous and super tired and I know I'm pregnant, but I think the "feel real" shock that hits ladies will probably happen once I feel baby move for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->