What does nausea actually feel like?

Ragnhild

Reaction score
Hey ladies I'm currently 6 weeks with my first, and wondering what nausea and morning sickness actually feel like if you're not throwing up? Might seem like an odd question but it's coz I never got motion sickness as a kid, and the only times I've thrown up in the past 15 years or so have been after being really drunk so I kinda don't remember them lol. So just wondering if you could describe your nausea and ms so I know what to tell my midwife when I see her next week. I mostly get a heavy feeling around my chest and throat, followed by retching and coughing - no throwing up - has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Well I've never actually thrown up but I get nausea. Not so much now I'm further along but to me nausea is feeling queasy. It's like I feel like I 'could' be sick and certain smells 'could' make me throw up but I never do. The only time I get anywhere near to throwing up is when I brush my teeth it makes me dry heave. Like you the only times I've actually been sick over the past 20 years or so hav been when I've had too much to drink although I've not been like that for a loooong time! (Btw I'm 40 so saying 'the last 20 years' isn't as bad as it sounds! Lol!)

Haha thanks Natnee.. That's reassuring. I also get this dry heaving feeling while brushing so thanks for clarifying that. And you'll get no judgements from me about the drinking and age ;)

Mine is just like the worst hangover! The kind that has you reaching for your hangover cure except there is no relief! I feel queasy and my mouth pools with saliva, the smell of things makes me heave and like Nantee says it's the ' am I going to throw up? I could throw up right now..' but it passes and I'm left queasy again.

Like a sickness bug that keeps you on the edge of your seat ready to run off to the toilet at any time. Salivating mouth, stomach churning etc etc. Except the sick doesn't come the feeling just stays. Ugh.

Thanks so much ladies... sorry it sounds pretty bad but your descriptions have helped! Also does anyone feel as though your gut is kind of twisted?? i wouldn't call it a cramp exactly but it feels like a tight ball that would unwind if i threw up but i don't.. it's just a lot of uncomfortable dry heaving ughhhhh

Yes! I know the exact feeling you mean and it's awful. I hope it eases soon for you. I prefer to just be sick and get it over with, the nausea sucks. X

Thanks kirstybum... and i know it sounds crazy but it took me so long to get this bfp that i'm actually grateful for each symptom lol!

I've had HG (the severest form of morning sickness) in the past 2 of 3 pregnancies and now I've just been diagnosed with it again. Most of the times I don't actually throw up, it is just dry heaves, and it feels like there is a lump in the back of my throat almost constantly that makes me want to gag. When I wake up in the morning I have a wad of saliva that has built up over night and that's what makes mornings the hardest. I also get a weird metallic like taste in my mouth and that wad of saliva tastes just like a wad of metal which makes it hard to keep from throwing up. Sorry to be so descriptive...

For me it feels like sea sickness or being car sick. I've never thrown up from pregnancy yet, but I did get quite a bit of nausea and reflux from weeks 5-11.

Thanks lilmiss and Mara.

@lilmiss: what is HG btw... And actually thank you for being descriptive lol. I also feel a lump but, and this might sound ridiculous, it's not just a sensation I can pretty much taste it and it is not nice at all ughhh

Thanks lilmiss and Mara.

@lilmiss: what is HG btw... And actually thank you for being descriptive lol. I also feel a lump but, and this might sound ridiculous, it's not just a sensation I can pretty much taste it and it is not nice at all ughhh

Hi Ragnhild:flower: I'm lurking over here too lol. If your nausea gets worse and unbearable you could ask your doctor to prescribe anti nausea medication:winkwink: Its not harmful for your baby and my pregnancies when living in Norway my doctor prescribed me pills for that. I can't for my life remember what they are called over there. I could find out though if you want? My best friend works at the same clinic where I went for my doctor appointments when living over there.
This pregnancy I asked in advance for my doctor to please prescribe something for me because I can't take the nausea very well lol. Headaches I could manage but being nauseous all the time and taking care of our boys.... can't do it lmao.
Ill find out the name of the medicine and come back to you, it might be called something else in Sweden but ill find out:winkwink:

Okay I have found the names on the medicine, it's called Postafen or Afipran. Don't know if it's called the same where you live but it's worth a try if you need it;)

Thanks star... you're most welcome to lurk ;)... and ya that's why i wanted to know what is HG coz the doctors here describe everything differently and it's better to be descriptive since they don't quite know the english names.
Thanks for asking your friend... usually the names are quite similar in the pharmacies in Denmark so i'm guessing it's the same in Norway. I can ask my midwife about it next week... Yayyyy just 6 days left till my first appointment. How are you.. any other symptoms? And did you tell your boys yet??

Thanks star... you're most welcome to lurk ;)... and ya that's why i wanted to know what is HG coz the doctors here describe everything differently and it's better to be descriptive since they don't quite know the english names.
Thanks for asking your friend... usually the names are quite similar in the pharmacies in Denmark so i'm guessing it's the same in Norway. I can ask my midwife about it next week... Yayyyy just 6 days left till my first appointment. How are you.. any other symptoms? And did you tell your boys yet??

I think HG stands for hyperemesis gravidarum" if I'm not mistaken?
Some pregnant ladies get an extreme morning sickness and can't hold anything down to a point where they need to be put in the hospital to get Iv's for dehydration. I hope that never happens to you my friend:winkwink:
So excited for you appointment!!:happydance: I still got 2 and a half week until mine on February 23. I just wish time could go a little faster when we want something so bad lol. Rigth now my nausea is not too bad ( just wait I'm probably jinxing myself lmao) but other than that my boobs have gotten way much.more sore and tender all over and feels like they have grown a bit in size ( hey I'm not complaining, I'm originally a small size A lol. Peeing a lot everyday and tired and exhausted fast. But that's about it right now I think?
No we haven't told the boys yet, we want to hold off until after my first appointment:winkwink: I just want to make sure everything looks okay before we spread the news:winkwink:

Will.you be having an ultrasound on your appointment the first time?

Feels like you're about to puke, my stomach hurts and I feel a general, overall yuck feeling

Thanks star! Haha yes but when i first got the appointment i thought its so far away.. However i feel so exhausted that trying to get anything done has been impossible.. And now im like whaaattt the appointment is here next week already!?! Haha excited but wont have an us this time it's just blood tests apparently.. My friend suggested a private clinic that does us on the first visit but then i read too many aren't good for the baby so now im just going by the standard plan.. What about you.. Will they do an us at your clinic?

Thanks star! Haha yes but when i first got the appointment i thought its so far away.. However i feel so exhausted that trying to get anything done has been impossible.. And now im like whaaattt the appointment is here next week already!?! Haha excited but wont have an us this time it's just blood tests apparently.. My friend suggested a private clinic that does us on the first visit but then i read too many aren't good for the baby so now im just going by the standard plan.. What about you.. Will they do an us at your clinic?

Hi Ragnhild:winkwink:
I have my appointment February 23 and days goes sooooo slow lol.
Yes I get an ultrasound and I will be 8+6 if it doesn't change any from my dates. I'm so excited!!! I don't think to many ultrasounds is dangerous for your bub I have never heard that before??
But I don't know what's normal in Sweden compared to here or Norway. I know I went to appointments in Norway when pregnant and got ultrasound on my first appointment to estimate due date and measure size of baby.
I think I was around 6-8 weeks when first appointment over there.
I could probably gotten an earlier appointment here but my Ob is very popular doctor and he is more in another hospital clinic than at the clinic I go to so waiting time is longer:winkwink:
But I'm counting down and soon it will be here before I know it:happydance:
How are you feeling? My nausea has really kicked in the last few days:wacko: if I don't take my anti nausea meds I feel hungover all the time uughh... but I think it will let go closer to the 10-12 week mark, has done that with my 4 last pregnancies.

My nausea is also terrible now star... i just want to go back to bed in the mornings and have zero appetite. The appointment is tomorrow so will ask the mf what to do about it... And the thing about too many us i actually read in one of the threads here. Been trying to find it to give you more info but it's buried somewhere lol... i think it was cppeace and i trust all her info so if you wanna know more you could ask her. It was the first time i also heard it, and usually people here are not too concerned about USs, so it's probably something ill look into more too. And feb 23rd will be here before you know it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->