what happens at 12 weeks to make miscarriage less of a risk?

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by louisaL, Oct 11, 2008.

1. louisaL

louisaL Trying for number 1

or has someone just got a website which tells you the stages of pregnancy, risks, when the egg implants, when the baby feeds off the placenta etc etc etc cause i seem to be asking alot of these type questions lately LOL

2. Jolinar

Jolinar Mummy to Nic

I always thought the risk of MC decreased dramatically at this time, but now you have me thinking hmmmmm

3. honey08

honey08 mum2two boys/2mc

ive no idea uknow ,dont know if its somat to do with placenta etc, be good 2 know x

4. DaisyDuke

DaisyDuke Matilda Tasya's mum :)

Please don't take this the wrong way, i might be wrong but u seem to be worrying about things an awful lot. I know it's hard but try to relax, there isn't a great deal u can do to prevent miscarriages, except taking good care of yourself. Like not drinking caffeine, alcohol, medication, gentle excercise and eating well. The reason i say this is i was told that worrying about every thing is one of the worst things u can do. My g.p told me something to do with ur body wont allow u to get pregnant at times of worry. I mean this message in the best way, go and have a lovely weekend with ur OH and try to stop worrying. XXX

5. honey08

honey08 mum2two boys/2mc

think shes just wondering ...know wot ur sayin tho x x

6. DaisyDuke

DaisyDuke Matilda Tasya's mum :)

I have spent the last 6 months worrying about every single thing, and it has done me no good at all. It has made me miserable and most of all i haven't got a :bfp: yet. XXX

7. honey08

honey08 mum2two boys/2mc

same ere hun x

8. Jai_Jai

Jai_Jai Mummy to my Jellies

me too - and DD you are sooooooo right!!! I bet this is why I have no :bfp: - I am gonna stop stressing now and just enjoy the lushness of the autumn days!! Drove through your home town again last night on the way home from the BIC :D I always think of you :blush: hehe off there again later - really want to live there - I wish I could afford the move!!! xxx

9. Pyrrhic

Pyrrhic Well-Known Member

I was so stressed out in first tri due to having two episodes of bleeding, and then in second tri after having an accident that landed me in hospital for a couple of weeks. I know how difficult it is to try and not stress over things, because it's only natural.

I thought I'd put some things into perspective though. I thought I would look up pregnancy statistics. I could only find them for the USA, but seeing as there aren't a lot of lifestyle differences between the UK and USA it should translate well.

There were approximately 6,000,000 pregnancies last year in the USA.

600,000 women experience miscarriage. With a total of 13% not going full term. That means 87% of pregnancies went to full term.

87% is a huge number. Out of that percentage:

* 221,000 women use illicit drugs during pregnancy
    * 757,000 woman drink alcohol while pregnant
    * 240,000 pregnant women are subject to domestic violence

So not exactly ideal circumstances to be pregnant in.

I don't know if that helps at all, but knowing you have about an 87% chance of going full term and giving birth is a huge percentage and should hopefully be a weight off people's minds a bit.

10. wishingonastar

wishingonastar Well-Known Member

hi i've been reading a baby book recently and it said that in the first trimester is when all the formation happens, so the forming of the body, eyes, limbs, brain and so on...once you're into the second trimester the forming stops and it's mainly a case of the baby just growing and starting to move and stuff so it must be that it is the first trimester in which the body either can't implant the egg properly or something goes wrong in the forming and it stops the process resulting in miscarriage...once thats out the way you just gotta eat and drink to continue the growing :)

11. jonnanne3

jonnanne3 Our miracle is HERE!

With everything that has happened to me over the past 9 months, I asked my doctor what I should do in order to prevent a miscarriage? He told me that there is nothing I can do to prevent it (unless there is a progesterone deficency? Hence me taking progesterone supositories) When a miscarriage occurs, it is when the cells do not come together properly and therefore it is not a normal viable pregnancy. Does that make any sense?

12. louisaL

louisaL Trying for number 1

thank you everyone!

this was just a ponder why people say that the risk is less from 12 weeks,i just wondered what happens in my body for that to happen

13. Omi

Omi A Mummy At Last!

Basically what happens within the first 12 weeks is the baby/embryo developing all the major organs, nervous system - in short what makes him physically a human being. He spends the next 6 months developing this and building his brain and improving on what he's got etc. ( building skin,brain etc)

Basically, it works like this... anything wrong with the genetical material usually gets sorted at this stage- meaning, if the cells dont seperate normally due to chromosomal abnormalities or defects the body will normally dispose of this itself resulting in a miscarriage. 2 trimester mc are rarely due to the baby but most likely the environment (in utero) such as incomplete cervix, high blood pressure etc.

However, mother nature has a way of making its own rules and exceptions to this rule are plentiful, so really there arent any rules as far as pg or mc is concerned.

I would urge you to follow previous posts replys and try to understand there is nothing that can be done to prevent mc (short of the obvious- but that would be preaching oi the gallery, lol) and try to relax as far as that is possible.

You cannot prevent anything that is meant to be- although we dont think its gonna happen to us or foretell it. My take on it has always been to just enjoy it and hope for the best. Afterall, its all you can do! :) Having said that, its the first question i asked my doc when i got pg ( as a friend had just had a mc) He said the same thing, there's nothing to prevent it as the body does as it deems fit- once in avery few cases you will find a reason for re-current mc , but for the most us- its just bad luck!)

Hugs, Omi xxx