What happens at ur booking in apt? Help!!

pcake

Mummy to our pork chop!
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

This will (touchwood) be our first so im totally clueless. :wacko:

The birthing centre rang to tell me my first MW apt is MOn, and asked if i knew where i was going to have the baby?!! Its probably a normal question but it totally threw me, i dont have a clue!!

Can u guys pls tell me what will happen? Will i be scanned (although my scan apt isnt for another month so i doubt that one),have blood tests,what?!!

Thanks so much
xx

no they wont scan you. It varys slightly place to place but normally they take bloods, test urine, check bp, and then full in your green notes. These notes you keep with you, Goes over family history and privous birth/miscarriages and any problems conceiving. You may also get some infor on staying healthy and foods to avoid. You may find all this happens or they may do some of it at your scan appointment.

the midwife told me my booking in appointment will last about an hour and a half, they take blood and a urine sample and ask me loads of questions that's about it

at mine she came to my house & just asked me a lot of questions about my family history & health. i have to go to the clinic on monday for my first blood & urine tests :D she also gave me a form for free prescriptions and booked my scan for me, i got the letter confirming it a few days later. gave me some info about birthing options too, i told her i'd like a water birth if possible and she said it shouldn't be a problem. she gave me my medical notes to look after too, you have to take these to all your appointments xx

Hi Pcake - Congratulations!!!

I'm not too sure either (although I have done this before allbeit 14 years ago). I got my :bfp:on Monday and I'm booked in to see a doctor tomorrow but have no idea why??? And then my booking in appointment with the midwife isn't until 19th April, presume I'll have a scan after that! I presume you are only offered an early scan if there is a need to be cautious? or perhaps if you pay for it.

I think the first appointment with the midwife is to meet and greet, complete family history and medical notes and take bloods but I'm not 100% (thats just what i've read on here) It takes about an hour.

Hope that helps a bit and if anyone can answer my questions too that'd be great :thumbup:

Xxxx

Oh thanks so much everyone, i just literally dont have a clue!! I was so surprised when she asked where i was going to have the baby?!!

And congrats to u too tizy! And good luck at ur apt startingout!! Its all really confusing at the moment and feels so far off, im sure it will fly by though (or i hope the ms does anyway :( )!!

The reason for asking where you want to have your baby is from the 'booking appointment' part. It's called a booking appt from back in the days when you literally booked yourself into a maternity hospital for your birth. They still have to book you in, that's why she asked!! xx

The reason for asking where you want to have your baby is from the 'booking appointment' part. It's called a booking appt from back in the days when you literally booked yourself into a maternity hospital for your birth. They still have to book you in, that's why she asked!! xx

I was just really surprised. Not sure why, obviously i realise i will (hopefully) be having a baby!!

pcake hey!! Sorry I have no clue how the UK does these things : D But it is so interesting to see how you guys do it over there! I have to say though I am so not jealous of the lack of ultrasounds/scans you guys do. I have my first appointment on Monday too, but it's for an ultrasound.. I'll only be 5 wks + 6 days! I'm a little jealous though that if you wanted, you could choose to do a water birth.. since my hubby's in the Navy, the insurance won't cover anything but a birth at a particular hospital out in town. Not that I have a prob with that hospital.. just wish I had more of a choice! That's only because he's military though. Private insurance let's you choose way more... but probably not a water birth! Anyway I know waaayy off topic, just wanted to check in and say hello : ) and hope everything is going.. swimingly, as you all in the UK might say!! (or maybe that's not what ya'll say and I'm way off...hahaha)

pcake hey!! Sorry I have no clue how the UK does these things : D But it is so interesting to see how you guys do it over there! I have to say though I am so not jealous of the lack of ultrasounds/scans you guys do. I have my first appointment on Monday too, but it's for an ultrasound.. I'll only be 5 wks + 6 days! I'm a little jealous though that if you wanted, you could choose to do a water birth.. since my hubby's in the Navy, the insurance won't cover anything but a birth at a particular hospital out in town. Not that I have a prob with that hospital.. just wish I had more of a choice! That's only because he's military though. Private insurance let's you choose way more... but probably not a water birth! Anyway I know waaayy off topic, just wanted to check in and say hello : ) and hope everything is going.. swimingly, as you all in the UK might say!! (or maybe that's not what ya'll say and I'm way off...hahaha)

Hi! Ha, yes things seem to be going 'swimmingly' (touchwood) so far!! :haha: Very bad morning sickness, no problems that i know of, and a definite small little bump around my lower stomach!! :thumbup: It is just hard to know things are ok having had no tests at all (bar hpt obv), ur right things are so different over here to how u guys do them. I went to my doctor when i got my bfp to ask about progesterone ( i now know i didnt need it, but having had an early mc before i wanted to know id done all i could) and he literally had no clue what i was talking about,he didnt know progesterone could be prescribed like that! Whereas it sounds so common over there??

U guys get lots of U/s dont u? Wow ur so lucky to get one so early. We think we'll pay for a private one, but later on, fingers xd. I bet ur really excited right? Please let me know how it goes!

I havent looked into birth options yet. My friend recently gave birth, she wanted a water birth and was told that was fine, as long as the pool thing was free at the time, so i think its a case of first come first served. She didnt have him in the water in the end due to lots of complications, but they were both ok so thats the main thing. I wont lie, it kind of terrified me when i heard about what happened to her. I know its rare, but honestly... even her boyf was traumatised by it. Although by 2 days later she said that he was solovely she'd already forgotten most of it,so ur body protects u doesn't it?

Its all exciting and confusing!! I just bought a doppler to use at home. I know im way too early to hear much, but heard of a few ladies hearing hb in week 8 so thought id try!!

Nice talking to u!!
xx

pcake, I'm in the US like jessica.p and yeah it seems like we get way more ultrasounds than you all get. I'm so sorry you all have to wait so long before you get to see your baby! I go next week for my first u/s and it's killing me to wait that long! I would be a nervous wreck if I had to wait so long!

pcake, I'm in the US like jessica.p and yeah it seems like we get way more ultrasounds than you all get. I'm so sorry you all have to wait so long before you get to see your baby! I go next week for my first u/s and it's killing me to wait that long! I would be a nervous wreck if I had to wait so long!

Yeah, its so annoying!! U guys are so lucky!! I just bought a doppler and i heard the heartbeat last night, which made me feel better! :happydance: It took ages though, im going to try again later iv been reading tips on here. Good luck with ur scan, bet u cant wait!!

Can I butt in and ask a stupid question?

My booking appt is a week on Monday (you get it after you 12 week scan up here), and I was wondering if my partner is supposed to be there? Seems a shame for him to miss work if he doesn't need to.

I am unsure too - I found out last wednesday I was pregnant, went to the doctors, peed in a cup and all that jazz but I am irregular so have no idea how far along I am :dohh:

My first appointment with the midwife is the 28th April :hissy: I don't think I can wait that long!

My doctor said she will do bloods/urine and a scan to see how far along I am - but listening to everyone else's experiences the scan is done elsewhere :wacko: It's all done so differently!

Confused.com

ALthough I am still making sure DH takes that day off work :haha:

Hey Pcake... my MW appt is tomorrow too... I don;t even know if she comes to my house or I do to the Dr's... I just phoned my GP and said I need a MW appt and they said OK, Monday at 2pm!!

Urghhhhhh....

Sort of O/T but when did everyone get there first appointment? I met with my doctors on 23rd March and he said a midwife would be in touch but he didn't put anything into the system, just hand wrote it all down so bit worried I'll get missed!!!

Can I butt in and ask a stupid question?

My booking appt is a week on Monday (you get it after you 12 week scan up here), and I was wondering if my partner is supposed to be there? Seems a shame for him to miss work if he doesn't need to.
My husband didn't come to mine, I don't think he'd really need to be there. The only thing is they asked about his family history as well as mine (like diseases that run in the family and whether or not there have been stillbirths/miscarriages etc).

My booking appointment was at my surgery, my surgery is in a medical centre though so is quite big.

I started writing a massive message outlining EVERYTHING that gets said and done, but I lost it halfway through :(

So, any questions just PM me, save me writing it again!

(ps I am a midwife btw!!)

Good luck xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"