What happens if you go for 38 week mw appointment and baby is breech?

susan_1981

Mummy to 2 boys :)
Reaction score
I have my next midwife appointment next Tuesday when I will be 2 days short of 38 weeks. At my last appointment, baby was head down (but he has turned quite a few times). Anyway, I have no idea what position the baby is in now, all that I know is the baby seems to be laying across the top of my bump. It feels really hard there and I'm feeling lots of movement low down.

So I'm just wondering, if you go for your 38 week midwife appointment, and the baby is breech, what do they do as it's very late on in the pregnancy and labour could happen at any time?

I don't have any experience myself as this is my first baby but my SIL's baby is breech. They tried to turn baby at 35 weeks but it didn't work so she's been booked in for a section at 39 weeks.

Thanks. Just wondering what happens if the baby turns breech between your 36 and 38 week appointment? I'm assuming midwife appointments are the same throughout the country xxx

You may be given option of turning the baby which isn't the most successful and given info about section. If you say no it turning then she will probably book your section for a weeks time.

Incidentally though, it would be very unusual for a baby to have turned this late on, usually what you are by 35/36 weeks is what you stay.

I hope he's still head down. I just feel like he's laying sideways across my belly with his arms and legs in the lower half of my bump. Sometimes it feels as though he's stretching and trying to break out of my sides if that makes sense! Oh well, I have my mw appointment on Tuesday. I'm sure he'll be a good boy and be in the right position! At least, I hope he is anyway!

My DS was undetected breech, although he had been breech at every scan. The last scan I had was growth scan around 33 weeks as they told me he was going to be huge (he came in at 6lbs 12.5ozs LOL) and he was still breech. The MW then told me he had turned the next week, but he hadn't. If you really think that your LO is breech I'd insist on a scan; my waters went at 36weeks and I had to have emcs and it took me a long time to get over it mentally as I had no time to prepare.

I'm going to see what my midwife says at my next appointment on Tuesday. I have no idea how he is laying at the moment. I can feel something that feels either like a foot or an elbow right over on my left hand side - almost level with my belly button. I'm hoping I have my usual midwife as she is the head of the midwife team that I see and I do trust what she says. When I was concerned last time that he may be breach, she felt and said she was 100% certain that he was head down. But for my next appointment, she said she may be in a meeting so I might have to see someone else. I hate it when they do this because it's usually someone who doesn't seem as competent! x

With my daughter I found out around 35 weeks (or around there, it's been 4 years and I have a bad memory lol) and at that point she was considered too big to try and turn so they scheduled me in for a c-section.

Good luck, hopefully your baby is heading the right way :hugs:

Good luck, I would be interested to know what you find out. My baby is in the exact same position as yours I think. It feels hard mostly on the top part of my bump with all the movement felt down low. I know at my 29 week scan she was breech and I have another one scheduled for next week.

I imagine they would try to turn the baby with your consent. My baby was breech and my Doctor would have attempted to turn him at 36 weeks if I made it that far along.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure baby was laying side ways for the past week or so but yesterday, I noticed my bump had dropped. Midwife confirmed that baby is definitely head down and partially engaged. Well 4/5ths palpable which I think they don't even count as engaged but as long as he stays head down and comes soon, I don't mind! x

They will try to turn the baby, I've read it is 50/50 chance of success.

I'm worried my baby will continue to be breech! At my 34 week.appointment this past Monday, dr did a scan and he was breech. The scan a few weeks earlier, he was heads down. Silly boy turned around. I have been having kicks way down low. A hard lump is usually at the right of my navel, which must be his head and I have a feeling he's posterior also. I am sooo dreading a section. I know they can turn at the very last minute before labor so there goes SOME hope. I've only read that past 35 weeks, there's less room and amniotic fluid so if baby is breech, they tend to stay breech. If he happens to still be breech at my 36 week appointment, I'm going to give the dr an okay to try to turn him. Fx!

So, OP. Your lo is heads down now, us that your new update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->