What happens to the 6%

Lisa2701

Reaction score
So come the 2nd of Decemeber I will have officially been TTC for 2 years. i have been reading that 94% of people will fall pregnant within two years... so what happens to the 6% that dont? what are the statistics for those TTC longer than 2 years?

DH and I go to see the FS on the 28th of this month. It will be our first appointment with them and I am dreading it. I know my weight is going to be a huge issue for them as I am in the 'morbidly obese' category :wacko: I believe I do ovulate but VERY irregularly. My cycles have been anything from 22 days to 72 days. In fact I have just had a cycle that was only 26 days (VERY unusual for me as I normally have long cycles) and have now been 'lightly' bleeding for 10 days now. AF is normally VERY heavy but this cycle I haven't had to use anything more than a pantiliner. I have no idea whats going on!

feel as though I am going crazy this month!

So come the 2nd of Decemeber I will have officially been TTC for 2 years. i have been reading that 94% of people will fall pregnant within two years... so what happens to the 6% that dont? what are the statistics for those TTC longer than 2 years?

DH and I go to see the FS on the 28th of this month. It will be our first appointment with them and I am dreading it. I know my weight is going to be a huge issue for them as I am in the 'morbidly obese' category :wacko: I believe I do ovulate but VERY irregularly. My cycles have been anything from 22 days to 72 days. In fact I have just had a cycle that was only 26 days (VERY unusual for me as I normally have long cycles) and have now been 'lightly' bleeding for 10 days now. AF is normally VERY heavy but this cycle I haven't had to use anything more than a pantiliner. I have no idea whats going on!

feel as though I am going crazy this month!

We have also been trying to conceive over 2 years.
I have blood tests that showed ovulation and bloods test that the hormone was very low so suggest i didnt ovulate. I have tubes checked, ovaries and womb checked. I have regular cycles too.

I have just recently been told that i need to lose 4 stone! to get my bmi under 30 before they will give me anything like clomid :-(. I was devastated. So do go in prepared that they probably will bring your weight up.
it sucks big time!

Good luck and let us know how you get on xx

I question where they get those statistics...doesn't sound like they include couples dealing with infertility. Not accurate at all.

I've also read something similar online, that if you can't conceive naturally within in 2 years that you should move on to alternative options. In which that's not feasible for people who don't have the funds for IVF and even adoption. So they have no choice but to keeping on hacking away it naturally. I've seen natural :bfp:s on here 3 or 4 years later. The pregnant ones are always telling me to never give up, and they must know what they're talking about because they were finally able to achieve it.

Good luck at your FS appt... just keep focused on the goal at hand and whatever you have to do to achieve it.

My friend got preg this month after 7 long years clomid ivf and everything, it can just radomly happen, i don't think anyone knows why it happens like that.

It depends whats the cause is as well, if you have blocked tubes then its not possible, or if the man has no sperm again not possible. :-(

I know the weight thing is hurting you right now, but think about it, if that is the cause then its something you can change, you can loose weight, but you can not unblock tubes or give a sterile man sperm...

The weight loss will be so hard, but there are things you can try, hypnotherapy etc...

If you are in the 'morbidly obese' category you should be given help from your GP to get you weight down to a healthy level, my sister was give metforim to help her and she has also had Xenical.. and went to a dietician

I know it seems hopeless now but I think you will really boost your fertility by slimming down, its so hard when we have already waited so long to have yet another wall put in our faces, but its so worth it to finally get preggo.

Good luck hun, I know its tough, but its doable, all is not lost for you. There is a bright side x

Thanks ladies,

I know looking at statistics are never a good idea, but hey I lost sight of my sanity today and went looking :blush: Think its just the fact I am approaching the 2 year mark.

I know that TTC can be hard and many people fall after years of trying. I have made friends with a woman on here that has been TTC for 13 years!!! She is now 13 weeks pregnant!! Inspirational to say the least!

I know my weight is an issue and I have been seeing my GP for years about it. i have seen dieticians, about 3 years ago I was prescribed Xenical which resulted in me developing severe and long lasting IBS (still cripples me to this day), gone to WW, tried the gym and I recently started weight management classes. If I do not loose weight with the classes, which are on going for approx 6 months I will be offered gastric band surgery to help me loose weight which I am going to take despite being terrified of the surgery!

However... I truly do not believe that my weight is my only issue, although I accept is plays its part. I have ALWAYS had irregular, long cycles with heavy painful periods (even when I was at my ideal weight). I have almost ALL symptoms of PCOS and a family history of it, but after an Ultrasound it was ruled out, despite the fact they could only see one ovary. Does that sound right to anyone?? Think I might ask FS about it having a second opinion when I see them.

Anyways i always tend to feel better after hearing from people on here. Thanks again for your replies.

I genuinely would like to know if you think my gp can rule out PCOS based on one ovary??

L x

EDIT: The good news is that OH sperm count came back normal. :D

That doesn't sound right to me, they're definitely supposed to look at both ovaries. I was going to make the comment it sounds like PCOS..maybe even endo with bleeding past 7 days. I would most likely go back to your FS and have him send you back for a 2nd thorough ultrasound. If he dismisses your concern, then I would find a new FS.

Apparently 98% will fall pregnant within three years. We have been trying for over three years. Lol. Allegedly only 1% never fall pregnant. I keep my fingers crossed everyday hoping I am in the other 1%. Lol.

Apparently 98% will fall pregnant within three years. We have been trying for over three years. Lol. Allegedly only 1% never fall pregnant. I keep my fingers crossed everyday hoping I am in the other 1%. Lol.

I heard this too, i fear I may be in that 1% too, someone has to be right?

its so depressing isn't it?

:dust:

Thanks ladies,

I know looking at statistics are never a good idea, but hey I lost sight of my sanity today and went looking :blush: Think its just the fact I am approaching the 2 year mark.

I know that TTC can be hard and many people fall after years of trying. I have made friends with a woman on here that has been TTC for 13 years!!! She is now 13 weeks pregnant!! Inspirational to say the least!

I know my weight is an issue and I have been seeing my GP for years about it. i have seen dieticians, about 3 years ago I was prescribed Xenical which resulted in me developing severe and long lasting IBS (still cripples me to this day), gone to WW, tried the gym and I recently started weight management classes. If I do not loose weight with the classes, which are on going for approx 6 months I will be offered gastric band surgery to help me loose weight which I am going to take despite being terrified of the surgery!

However... I truly do not believe that my weight is my only issue, although I accept is plays its part. I have ALWAYS had irregular, long cycles with heavy painful periods (even when I was at my ideal weight). I have almost ALL symptoms of PCOS and a family history of it, but after an Ultrasound it was ruled out, despite the fact they could only see one ovary. Does that sound right to anyone?? Think I might ask FS about it having a second opinion when I see them.

Anyways i always tend to feel better after hearing from people on here. Thanks again for your replies.

I genuinely would like to know if you think my gp can rule out PCOS based on one ovary??

L x

EDIT: The good news is that OH sperm count came back normal. :D

NHS try and fob you off, they do it to me too, of course they need to see the other ovary!

You need to insist on another scan, it does sound like PCOS, people still get preggo with that though, maybe clomid would help?

I do feel for you having to face that surgery, a symptom of PCOS is weight gain, that could be whats making it so hard for you to loose it, they need to investigate it more in my opinion.

Good luck hun :hugs:

I have PCOS and my right ovary has 12 cysts on it yet my left ovary is perfectly normal so there's no way they should have dismissed it with only seeing the one ovary X
Good luck with your fs appointment xxx

Have your doc test your for insulin resistance. PCOS is not always visible on an ultrasound because the cysts aren't always on the surface. If you are insulin resistant, chances are you have PCOS (this info was given to me by my cousin who is a nurse struggling with infertility).

Have they checked your thyroid?

WOW - thank you for all the replies.

I have had my thyroid checked several times as I have a huge family history of thyroid problems and I always come back "borderline". doc says she can't treat me for thyroid problems until I drop below the borderline mark which I never seem to.

I do not know if they have tested my insuline resistance or not. :shrug:.

I am trying to think of what I have had checked other than the usual thyroid etc.

I believe my Estradoil levels are slightly high and my SHGB (??) were slightly low? I will have to go check through old posts to check this.

I didn't think it sounded right that they could rule it out with only being able to see one ovary. Doc said that the other ovary is probably tucked behind my uterus or something and that its really common to only be able to see one ovary. I haven't seen the FS yet so I think I will ask them to double check it for me. If they won't I will go back to my local surgery but see a different doc. i know of a doctor who is happy to make referrals etc as long as you can give a decent reason as to why you want to be checked out for it. It was her that sent the referral to the FS for me. My normal doc wouldn't do it for me, she kept just fobbing me off.

Anyway, away to check for the blood results I got and see if they mean anything to you.

These are the only two blood results that my doctor has said came back abnormal. However, she said they didn't really matter and she wasn't overly sure what they meant that the FS should know better.... funny.... the more I write the more i think its time to find a new doctor :dohh:.

Anyway, do these make any sense to you?

SHBG :18
Estradoil: 157

I don't think I had those ones I had LH and FSH and progesterone, have you had any of those?

I don't think I had those ones I had LH and FSH and progesterone, have you had any of those?

No haven't had either of those done. Don't they get done once you see the FS? Do those bloods not require bloods being done on certain days of your cycle? If so that may be why I haven't had them done, my cycles are completley unpredictable.

The FS asked for certain things to be done before they'd see me, LH, FSH and progesterone weren't on the list :shrug:

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"