What is a onesie/babygro?

L

ladybrixton

Hi,

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but this is my first baby and I have been overwhelmed with baby clothes jargon! I'm in the UK and have no idea what a onesie or babygro is. Is that the same as a sleepsuit? I'm assuming it is, but just want to make sure I haven't missed anything. All the advice I have read suggests that newborn babies spend the first few weeks in babygros and I was just wondering if this meant they spend the first few weeks in sleepsuits?

Also, when a baby is dressed in a sleepsuit to go to bed at night do they need a vest underneath? And how about when they are up during the day in a sleepsuit? I'm assuming it depends on the temperature? But what advice is there on what sort of temperature equates to how many layers or length of sleeves. I know when the time comes I will figure all this out, but for now I am truly bewildered.

Sorry for the dim questions :dohh: and thank you for your responses!

x

ps I'm due early March, which makes it a difficult changeable time of year for weather/temperatures, which is adding to my confusion!

I could be wrong, but i've always taken the term 'onesie' or 'babygrow' to mean those bodysuits that have a top half and bottom all in one - as opposed to dressing the baby in separates. They have the poppers at the crotch (and sometimes on one sleeve by neck) and can either be short sleeved, long sleeved, with or without legs.
This kinda thing: -

https://assets.gearlive.com/blogimages/goo_goo_onesie.jpg

I'd say yes, it is a sleepsuit!

As for layers, you will figure it out but you can get a guide from the gro-bag website. I'd always put a vest under a sleepsuit day or night, unless it was HOT. Short sleeved in warmer weather, long sleeved in colder weather. Vests are great and I'd have them on all the time unless it was very warm.

But I promise you'll figure it out, I remember it being a complete mystery to me last time too!!

X

PS I'm due early march too, roll on!!!

To answer your other questions! - sleepsuits often have the feet (and sometimes mitts) built into them, and I can't see why baby couldn't wear them during the day also. I wouldn't think you'd need to have them in a vest underneath to sleep in, but I guess it does depend on the temperature of your house.
Ours is due early March too, and I anticipate her sleeping in a sleepsuit during the night, and more layers during the day especially when we go out for walks.
My sister always said the best way to check if they are too warm or cold is to feel their noses or hands - the extremities basically, as they will feel the temp first.

Yep they're what we call sleepsuits. I would always put a vest/bodsuit underneath unless its extremey hot (which I doubt it will be in March)

The only reason people say babies spend most of their time in them is because they are comfy but its personal preference.

I always dress my babies during the day (unless we're staying in all day)

x

Yeah to me a "vest" as we call them in the UK or a "onsie" in the US or Australia

A vest goes under everything when theyre babies, and I do this for both day and night - at night I put a fresh vest and fresh sleepsuit and of course a blanket.

A "sleepsuit" is called babygrow in the US and Australia.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you all for your quick responses :) that definitely clears things up for me! There is so much to learn and yet I feel almost all of my learning will take place 'on the job' as it were when the baby arrives. I can't wait!

Thanks again.

x

These are vests/bodysuits

https://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-...Short-Sleeve-Bodysuits-7-Pack-Newborn(0072553)

And these are babygros/sleepsuits

https://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Collections/Loved-and-Adored-Sleepsuit-and-Toy(0025845)

personally i always put a vest on them night and day, keeps them warm but not hot. long sleeved if goin out or its a cold day/night but short sleeved is fine otherwise

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->