• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

What is clomid??

han17

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I am slightly new to this site and still getting to grips with it, but I've seen a few convo's about clomid.... What is it?
My husband and I have been trying to conceive for a year... I have hormonal tests which shows I'm ovulating and he has had sperm test which have come back normal... Is clomid something I can take?

Xxxx

hi han
clomid is a fertility drug. it's usually prescribed for women who don't or rarely ovulate, it's taken at the start of your cycle, usually a day or two after your period starts for 5 consecutive days. it tricks the body into thinking it isn't producing enough of a certain hormone, so your body then tries to produce more...hopefully resulting in a successful ovulation.

every doctor and clinic is different, some monitor you very closely with ultrasound scans and bloods, others just give you the tablets and leave you to it. the risks are overstimulation (where you produce loads of eggs) and multiples. side effects are like pms, although I had no problems.

it is sometimes prescribed for people who already ovulate on their own (although i'm not sure why or what the benefits are as that wasnt the case for me).

hope that helps!

I was prescribed clomid for 6 months as my cycles were irregular.. The idea was that it would help make sure I ovulate at the same time each month and catch the egg.. I did catch the egg but my lining was too thin to sustain a pregnancy ( probably cos Clomid thins lining ) Great? huh. :-/ . It gave me terrible mood swings and hot flashes and I will never take it again. I would advise to stay clear unless the Dr thinks its a good idea.

Unfortunately, Clomid is one of those medications that works different for everyone. If you are ovulating and his sperm quality is good, most docs (in the US) will not prescribe Clomid. It has a high risk of multiples at a higher dose.

I took it when I conceived my daughter (A few years back!!) and did not have any side effects from it. Took it for two months and conceived her. However, I was diagnosed with amennorhea - absence of periods and therefore was not ovulating.

HOWEVER, it does not hurt to ask your doc about it! Remember.. Your body is different from mine and from everyone else's. What works for me, may not work for you and vice versa.

Best of luck!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"