What is my bump made of??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by gills8752, Aug 31, 2009.

1. gills8752

gills8752 Mum of 2 Girl

Hiya All, I'm a newbie here, just gone 16 weeks with my first. Took 4 years to conceive so we are really excited.
    My tummy's started to firm up and push out a little bit where the baby actually is but the rets of my tummy above has already formed a lovely bump. Now what actually classes as your bump? I've ever wondered it before now obviously and for some reason just thought the baby formed the whole bump but it doesn't does it?? :wacko: lol This baby has got me thinking far too much on what my bump actually is!
    What does everyone else's bump feel like? Can you feel just baby or is the top of your bump the rest of the contents of your insides :lol: ??

XX

2. MissRhead

MissRhead Well-Known Member

Yep as your uterus grows and rises up it pushes everything eles up with it :) And huge congrats btw! O and welcome :D xxxx

3. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

hello and welcome! and congrats!

yup baby takes up bump, all your organs are squished above around behind and everywhere,

4. gills8752

gills8752 Mum of 2 Girl

Ah well, will have to wait for my real bump to appear. I feel like a fraud until I get one! AND it feels like Ive been pregnant ages with no bump. I can't wait! :happydance:

5. Boomerslady

Boomerslady Well-Known Member

I've found the bit at the top, between boobs & belly button is all your organs squished up. Which is why we suffer heartburn etc as your stomach is all squished!

The bit below the belly button is the LO....at my stage anyway.....I'm hoping as time progresses it'll round out fully.

6. Dream.A.Dream

Dream.A.Dream Mum to 6yo and WTT #2!

I wondered this too, I have a definite bump but I know at my stage most of it isn't baby xx

7. Noodles

Noodles Mummy to two boys!

8. gills8752

gills8752 Mum of 2 Girl

ooh now that's a useful picture!

So next question....do we class the pushed up and out organs (which aren't baby) bump? I've a definite pronounced stomach now but its only baby very low down. I feel i look pregnant but I'm a fraud as it mostly isn't baby! :lol:

9. MissRhead

I say its all baby bump, if baby wasnt in their then nothing would be all squished up to the top. :thumbup: xx

10. Noodles

They tend to move up and towards your back hun as they will eventually need to make more room for the baby. Techically your bump is measured according to your fundus height (see last pic) as that is the measurement that your midwife goes on to tell if you are measuring big or small for your dates.

You'll get a bump very soon hun don't worry. I felt like a fraud walking around mothercare and used to push my belly out in an attempt to make myself look more pregnant.

11. MissRhead

I was wondering why it is when i listen to baby on the doppler i find the heartbeat really low down like near my lady parts :blush: Why is it so low? I thought baby would be a little higher up by now? xx

12. Babybug

Babybug Well-Known Member

:devil::devil:Think mine is made up of fizzy cola bottles, wham bars, chocolate fingers, pizza, yum yums, skittles and all the naughty stuff that baby always wants to eat :devil::devil:

13. Noodles

I'm 23 weeks and my baby still likes to live down there. They lie wherever they are most comfy. Plus being there gives them more room to jump around without hitting anything.

14. MissRhead

Crap sorry for hijacking your thread lol, i was just looking for that i was ment to start a new thread im sorry hun xx Ooo ok so its normal, was abit worried baby was in the wrong place :lol: thanks hun xx

15. Fluxuspoem

Fluxuspoem Mama

Hi

Have a look at this link

http://www.umm.edu/pregnancy/000088.htm

If you push the bar on the right hand side picture towards the right, you will see how yoru bump develops and organs are pushed out of the way to accomodate.

The baby is still relatively low till the late stages of gestation so very normal to hear hb towards your lower uterus. Also, the hb is always closer to wear the babys head and shoulders are

x

16. IvyBaby

IvyBaby Well-Known Member

That is way cool, thanks for sharing!! Really helps to understand :)

17. gills8752

gills8752 Mum of 2 Girl

hahha thats okay, hijack all you like! :lol:

18. NattieLou

NattieLou Monkey Mama

Love that link! Thanks for sharing it.

19. teal

teal Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! x

20. 1stBump_27

1stBump_27 Well-Known Member

:haha: I thought I was the only one that did that. I find that no matter how big I get all the other women in pregnancy/baby shops are always bigger - how dare they :)