What is PCOS?

MrsF

My Little Miracle Man
Reaction score
Heya ladies - asking for a bit of a favour - my friend might have polycystic ovaries, and i'm not too sure what it means / symptoms etc - have googled it but kinda need it in simple terms - could anyone give me a brief overview what it is, signs / tests / etc

will be updating soon - start ivf on the 17th sept. Bit nervous, bit apprehensive, but will be sure to update soon,

thanks again in advance ladies x x x x x

pcos is a cyst in the tubes from what ive been told.

most women in my family have pcos and from what i have seen the common syptoms are excess hair, weight gain, problems with periods and also it is also sometimes connected to causeing diabites (sp)

my mum has it n has had 4 children so some people arent bothered by it but others can have problems carrying a baby and other cant have kids.

my sister was told she deffo had pcos from a ultra sound

thankyou moomin, much appreciated - is it something that can be diagnosed from a blood test? Also, is it something that can be diagnosed from a transvaginal scan (she's got one booked in for next week?) want to be able to offer help and support to my dear friend, but my fertility probs are something very different

thanks again x x x x

im not sure about a trans vaginal scan or blood tests but if thats what they are doing id assume so.

my friend has been ttc and as just found out she has pcos too, its not easy supporting someone when u have no clue about whats goin on, even tho i have some info i cant really comfort her totaly as im not sure how bad hers is.

best thing i think u can do for her is ask whats been said by the doctor and just be normal.

hope ur ivf goes well *fingers crossed* uve got ur own stuff to deal with too and im sure ur mate will understand that u have ur own problems

Pcos is a disorder of the ovaries - many cyts form and alter the hormones causing the effects described by moomin - but not a disorder of the tubes at all. It is diagnosed by symptoms and inertnal scan. People are often prescribed metformin for regulating hormone levels and clomid to help them ovulate.

PCOS is a complicated domino-effect type condition.... but nobody knows what the first domino is lol. I will try to put it as simply as possible.

A woman with PCOS may or may not have cysts on her ovaries for the same reason a woman can have cysts but not PCOS. Cysts are a symptom, and not everyone has the same symptoms.

Symptoms include abnormal male-type hair growth (face, chest, etc.), acne, alopecea (male pattern baldness), obesity, difficulty or inability to lose weight, ovarian cysts, annovulation (not ovulating), infrequent or absent periods, infertility, skin discolorations and skin tags, and in some cases even high BP and cholesterol. A woman with PCOS can have any combination of the above symptoms.

PCOS is a medical condition which if not treated can lead to heart disease, diabetes and other conditions.

PCOS at its most basic level is a hormone imbalance. Many women with PCOS are insulin resistant which contributes even more to the condition. Its like this. Women with PCOS are prone to obesity (but not all- again its a symptom) the excess fatty tissue (and/or insulin resistance, which basically means the body doesn't know how to use the insulin it produces, the body turns the fatty foods into fat even in thin cysters) produces excess estrogen. Excess estrogen is converted into androgens (male-like hormones, like testosterone). Excess androgens effect the cycle, or stop it all together and the body produces even more hormones that you already have an excess of tyring to correct itself and, in turn, knocks itself even further out of whack.

As far as testing, the is no set test for PCOS. Most doctors will do an ultrasound to check for cysts and test to measure hormone levels. Hormones most commonly tested are estrogen, testosterone, estradiol (a type of estrogen), progesterone and some doctors will also test FSH (follicular stimulating hormone) and LH (lutinizing hormone).

HTH, I know its alot to take in but PCOS is quite a condition to get and honestly it ROYALLY sucks!

thankyou ladies very much for your info, has defo helped me make sense of the blurb i'd read on the net but couldnt quite get my head around! I wish you guys every success in your journeys x x x x x

hope ur friend is ok and i wish her good luck and also ile be thinkin of u on the 17th good luck again x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->