what is spd

sw2129

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me!!! Over that past week or so i have noticed that my mobility and being able to stand is causing me pain!! At the moment im not working and dont really do much in the day!
I can stand for about 5-10 mins then get this pain (quite hard to explain) that feels like someone is pushing down on me.
I have spoken to a friend tonight and she said i might have spd, only problem is i have never heard of it!!!:shrug:
If anyone could help i just want to know what it is and what are the symptoms (if any). And do i need to ring my midwife.
Thanks for reading this :hugs:

Symphysis pubis dysfunction = SPD , its caused by the soft tissue between the pelvis becoming more mobile, during pregnancy the hormones cause this to happen so that you can give birth more easily

in some women the softening is extremme and this causes the pelvis to move when you move, causing pain

it can be relieved a little by resting a little more, and wearing an support belt (you can get one from your midwife or GP)
some women need physio or crutches, it goes after childbirth when all the pelvic ligaments return to normal

thats the way i understand it anyway

xx

Thanks will get in touch with my midwife xx

I have just been diagnosed with sciatica and SPD and have been referred for physio. SPD is commonly felt as pain in some or all of the following areas

-predominantly around your pubic bone (at the front)
-Sacro Iliac joint (where you spine meets you pelvis in your lower back)
-groin pain and sometimes inner thigh
-hip pain

It is most painful when doing things that require you to us one leg at a time, such as using stairs, getting in and out of the bath, climbing in and out of the car and just whilst walking and turning over in bed too.

Siatica is caused by trapping your sciatic nerve which runs from your spine, through your buttock and into and down your leg. Here pain can be experienced in the lower back, mostly buttock, back of thigh and down the leg. It can cause pins and needles sensation in your feet. This is also fairly common in pregnancy and can be caused by the baby lying on a nerve, or again by 'loose joints'.

Hope that helps for comparing your symptoms x

I need to call my MW about it as well as my SPD gives me so much bloody pain everytime i move.. With SPD sometimes C-Section is recomended as it might break u bones if giving birth i some positions and it's often ignored by MW :(

So i called the MW and what a suprise there was no-one to talk to me!!!
They say she'll call me back as they'll leave her a note..
Am fed up with it!

Thanks for your replies girls, im gonna leave it the weekend then give midwife a ring on monday. I'm having a c-section anyway so no worries for me there lol. Hope you get hold of someone soon xxxx

Do I have spd? Sometimes,especially when I get up after being sat down for a while, it feels like my spine isn't properly connected to my legs,it really hurts to walk, I have to like limp/waddle. Also it often feels like that when Im moving around in bed trying to get in a comfy position. But it isn't constant and isn't every time, just occasionally, although it is becoming more frequent now.

It could be SPD, but it also may just be ligature pain.. same idea just not as bad... see your midwife or GP and they may refer you to physio. I was told to do swimming and yoga! Nothing more strenuous!

Yep it could be SPD, are u having pains in ur legs to? And dose it hurt when dressing up?
Then u should try talk to ur MW..but lucky u have not long to go:)

Sometimes when I lift legs up to put knickers/trousers on it hurts at the tops of my legs. So I should mention all this to midwife then? I haven't so far cos I don't get to see one that often and I just thought it was just general pregnancy aches and discomforts really!

helz the problem with MWs is that they always tell u it's normal during pregnancy but i've spoke to my GP and she said it shouldn't be ignored.. Tell her about ur pains-all of them and 'push' her to help u. With SPD there is not much they can do but at least some sample of exercise which may help and they need to know about ur pains when u go into labour.
Hope that helps a little..
Take care

I had SPD with my last pregnancy and was signed off work for 8 wks and was almost housebound. I used to wear a support belt which did help a bit. SPD is supposed to get worse during pregnancy as you get heavier but strangely mine got a bit better and i was able to have my homebirth. I was in pain for months after but not as bad as when pregnant and even now if i do alot of walking or been on my feet for long spells i experience pain.
I'd never really heard of it before i was diagnosed. I was very lucky as my midwfe was fab about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->