What is the protein requirements for pregnancy?? 70 gm/day??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Mabv812, May 30, 2013.

1. Mabv812

Mabv812 Well-Known Member

My midwife told me I have to eat 70grams of protein per day. That seems like a lot.

Protein I ate today:
    2 eggs, soy beans, 1 mini roast beef sandwich, 1 mini turkey sandwich, broccoli, and some sausage in my spaghetti.

= around 50 grams??? Correct me if this is wrong!

how would I even get in 70 grams per day when I've already eating 1800 calories today????

I just don't feel like this is an accurate assessment. Plus I'm starving cause I' not supposed to gain much more weight....ughhh.

2. surprisedmama

surprisedmama Well-Known Member

I can eat close to 100g of protein a day when eating that number of calories and I'm in weight loss mode. I would base my meals and snacks around protein, add in vegetables, and then if there was room, whole grains. Throw in a protein shake, and I'd get right about 100.

A Greek yogurt has 15+ grams of protein (depending on the brand), eggs are 7 grams per 1 egg, and peanut butter is 6-8 grams per serving. Getting to 70 shouldn't be an issue.

3. Dream.dream

Dream.dream SAHM to 2 beautiful boys

70 grams may be a little low actualy I was told need 1.5 grams per kilogram of body wieght you have

I'm wondering if your calculating right, if you ate 4 oz of salmon and 4 oz of chicken that would be around 50grams of protien,

Also try replacing pastas and rice with things like quinoa and lentils . Or get a protien powder to add to other foods or make a smoothie with

If your eating more protien then you shouldn't be as hungry as protien keeps you full longer

https://www.shapefit.com/diet/high-protein-foods-list.html

4. amjon

amjon Guest

My first pregnancy I was told 60g of protein. This time I was told 100 for the twins.

5. Mabv812

Mabv812 Well-Known Member

I may have under calculated the protein I ate. I forgot to add a slice of wheat bread which is like 4 or 5 and wheat pasta which was 10.So I think I'm much closer to 70 than I thought.