What is the 'rule' about naming a baby whose friend has the name you want?

MEPride

Reaction score
A former classmate of mine, who lives 2 hours away and I haven't seen in 2 years, has a 2 year old daughter named Claire. We have seen OR spoken to this classmate in 2 years. The name Claire is one my DH and I both LOVE and have loved for a looooooong time. We've tried coming up with another name because I didn't want to name our daughter after a friend's daughter. We can't agree on another name and no other name seems to really fit! We just aren't satisfied!

So, what are the unspoken rules in this case? Could we get away with naming our daughter Claire?

I don't think there is a rule, plus Claire is pretty common and trendy. If it was something that was obviously 'made up' by them I personally wouldn't. But since it's so common now days I wouldn't worry about it.

Ps: I love Claire! I wish DH wouldn't have nixed it :(

Honestly, if you like it, go with it.

We named our daughter Abigail. About a year or two later, my husband's friend and his wife had a girl and named her Abigail. They see each other semi regularly and live close by. Neither of us thought anything negative or bad their name choice. In fact, we laughed and thought it was neat. As a gift, we got them the same cupcake blanket that our daughter loved, from one Abigail to another. We even joked that if we had a boy we could give him the same name add their son so all our kids would have the same names (obviously we didn't, but not for any bad reason).

Go With what you like. It sounds like you'd regret not naming her Claire.

When someone I know was pregnant I told her I loved the name Ivy... what did she do? Named her kid Ivy... lol. But I've still got that as top of my list and if I want it I'll have it :)
It might be different if it was my best friend and I saw them all the time

They would probably be flattered if anything. Go for it. X

There are no rules :)
There's hundreds of thousands of Claire's in the country, I wouldn't worry about it.
(But if any of my friends called their lb Rio I'd probably cry :haha: )
No seriously, go for it! X

My husband had this friend of like 13 years or something and they had a son 2 years ago and named him Logan. Since then my husband has distanced himself from this family because the friend is an alcoholic and has no respect for family, his or ours, and is a douche bag. He ended up getting angry at my husband and being a jerk because he brought our kids to an outing, I was at work so he had no choice. Anyway, we found out we are having a boy and nothing fit other than Logan. At first my husband didn't want to name him Logan because it made him think of said jerk, but now he doesn't think if him anymore and Logan is our son. Like others have said it would be different if it was your best friend or family member or something, but don't worry about a friend you haven't seen in 2 years.

Thank you ladies!! Your advice is greatly appreciated!

My rule is I'm naming my kid what I want. Effing took six months to get SO to agree on a name, I'm not trying to people please anybody else lol. I have my reasons for choosing the name I did. So if they make a stink it's time to put on some Carly Simon cuz I bet they think this name is about them they're so vain. ;)

My rule is I'm naming my kid what I want. Effing took six months to get SO to agree on a name, I'm not trying to people please anybody else lol. I have my reasons for choosing the name I did. So if they make a stink it's time to put on some Carly Simon cuz I bet they think this name is about them they're so vain. ;)

Lol!! 😂 thanks for the laugh!

I think if you are guys were really close, I'd either see how they feel about it or Id choose a different name. However, you're not close, so name your lil one whatever you want. I named my first the same as my friends daughter who is a couple of years older. We're not really close but still talk occasionally.

I wouldn't give it another thought, go for the name you love! if you lived very close with kids that would probably go to the same school or you were very close friends it would be good to let them know but other than that no, it's up to you, nobody owns a name.

I had this same issue. A couple people on Facebook (not close friends; just classmates) chose names for their kids that I wanted to use for mine - and I even had a girl use the name I used as a first name for DD2 as a middle name for her DD. People copy each other all the time, I'm sure. I personally try not to do it because I don't want my child to be the sixth one with their name in their school class, but as you said that they live away and the fact that you're set on it, I don't see any reason not to go with it. After all... it took you 9 months to make that child so you have every right to name her whatever you want!

my cousin named her daughter after mine .. bit strange, though i didnt really speak to her and dont at all now lol xx

It sounds like you're not close at all, not even friends but old classmates (if I'm reading that correctly) so I'd have no hesitation using the same name. Its not like you're naming your LO after theirs, you just happen to love a name someone you know also has. I'd go for it no reservations!

friendships < your children. go with the name you want!

If she's just a classmate and you're not super close to her, I dont think its a big deal. My husband's cousin named her son after ours, unknowingly of course. Dh hasnt seen her for over 10 years she's just one of the many cousins he has . We met her for the first time a few weeks ago on a trip, we have to distinguish the boys by calling them by their middle names as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->