What kind of artwork do you have in your house?

Every Rose

Reaction score
I'm thinking of pictures and paintings in particular but anything really that anyone else has.

I was making a picture for LO's room earlier and it made me think about the artwork we have in the rest of the house (most of it actually still on the floor because we moved and I can't decide where to put things yet :blush:)

Most of ours, apart from all the family photographs we have in frames, are those framed posters made up mostly of words or with just tiny graphics.

Even the one I was making for LO. I wanted his room in a robot theme but then I thought it might be nice to decorate it in military colours too. So I bought this wall graphic sticker:

https://carolinemcgrath.co.uk/images/large/SPi-am-not-a-robot.jpg

and I stuck it onto some green card that matches the khaki/green camouflage colours and put it in a black metal frame.

It looks really good and will suit both the theme and colour of his room.

I wanted it for him because one of the qualities I hope he has as he gets older is a good, creative imagination and an ability to lead rather than follow, or at least have the confidence to be himself, like what he likes and not care if its not the same to the things his friends like.

But thinking about it, almost everything else we have for the walls is the same, words and simple graphics. I think it's because I like to read a lot (something of an understatement but I do). I love reading and I love words, so artwork made from words appeals to me without my even realising before.

Others that we have are:

"Keep Calm and Carry On" - in red and white, gift from a friend.

"Tomorrow is a lovely day" - in red and white, bought by me with Christmas money.

Three gold letters that are the first name initials of my three children - I have them above the door in the dining room.

The Great Bear/London Underground poster - first wedding anniversary gift from my parents

The Bold and Noble "British Isles Type Map" with the map made from different sized font place names.

The Cressida Bell "How to cook real good cheap easy food" recipe poster.

A theatre poster for the day I was born but 35 years earlier. It just has the names of the acts set out in nice layouts.

A big green sign with white writing that says "Accommodation" on it. We used to have it over the bed in the spare room.

I even have a little word block on the mantlepiece that says "Friends Gather Here."

But I'd love to know what artwork other people have and why they have it.

We have some random pictures that came with the flat but our main picture is a Victoria Francis print of a woman crying dark tears (blood?) in front of a stone angel. It's gorgeous! DH bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago! :thumbup:

Beca :wave:

We have some random pictures that came with the flat but our main picture is a Victoria Francis print of a woman crying dark tears (blood?) in front of a stone angel. It's gorgeous! DH bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago! :thumbup:

That sounds gorgeous actually. Can you post a picture of it, I'd love to see it.

My house is pretty eclectic.
If there is a theme of any sort, it's probably nature and maybe travelling?
For example, we have 3 or 4 mounted prints of turn of the century posters advertising adventure holidays in the Canadian Rockies - it was one of my favourite eras of art and history, and all those places have meaning for me (I'm an avid hiker), so they were a natural draw.
Over the mantel, there's another big mounted print of the hummingbirds of Ecuador - a plate from a bird book that was turned into a poster - that one I got while travelling in Ecuador. I have a few vintage bird prints around, come to think of it.
I have an Alphonse Mucha print of a Sarah Bernhardt play, as I have a soft spot for Art Nouveau.
Some Carl Larsson prints, some Group of Seven prints.
I have a small reproduction of a sunset by Edvard Munch that I got while at the Munch Museet in Oslo.

We also have quite a few pieces of art from my godfather that are mixed media: ceramics, raiku glazes and pieces literally popping off the canvas. He also did a belly cast for me of my first pregnancy - quite a wild final piece. And we've commissioned another from the second pregnancy.
What else?

Ah! I have a print of a painting done by an elephant at the Zoo I work at - she's quite a talent! :)

Like Sarah, I have some Mucha and.........mostly photos.
I have a tin star, and some Helena artwork as well :D

We have only OH's and my own artwork :)

Oh has some Jamie Hewlett prints in his office and i got some other random Photography. But mainly our own stuff which i really like. OH draws Stina pearson style portraits of musicians like bob marley or jim morrison and i make paintings and sculptures of women

and some random indian goddess sculptures

That sounds gorgeous actually. Can you post a picture of it, I'd love to see it.

This is the picture of it that I found on a website that sells them! The image itself is called El Amor.
https://fantasygalleryart.com/library/VFPPPP-30878ElAmor.jpg

I have vinyl LP covers that I love in frames and some black and white photos of my Mum and Dad when they were young that have been framed too. I have Rodins Kiss in the kitchen and some gorgeous hand painted indian silk pictures in my bedroom. And old black and white prints of Glasgow in the hallway (along with my favourite Jimi Hendrix prints).
And lots of pictures of blobs and splodges that Charlie has made over the past year in the kitchen too - bit eclectic really!
I LOVE your robot artwork in your LO's room - that's brilliant :)

I dont have much to be fair, I dont like too much on walls and the 'art' that is on there is mainly my kids :haha:

By my door on the way out I have a plaque-type picture, its black and white and shows 2 baby feet and reads 'What e have once enjoyed we can never lose, all that we love becomes a part of us' I love it.

I have a canva type to go in my bathroom, OR my living room, I cant decide as it goes nice in both rooms.

In Amy's room she has an 'angel' sign over her cot to watch over her, with some birdie stickers sat on it and a butterfly above it :flower:

After reading veryone elses commets, i think im a bit common :haha:

I have vinyl LP covers that I love in frames and some black and white photos of my Mum and Dad when they were young that have been framed too. I have Rodins Kiss in the kitchen and some gorgeous hand painted indian silk pictures in my bedroom. And old black and white prints of Glasgow in the hallway (along with my favourite Jimi Hendrix prints).
And lots of pictures of blobs and splodges that Charlie has made over the past year in the kitchen too - bit eclectic really!
I LOVE your robot artwork in your LO's room - that's brilliant :)

Yours sound great, that's a great idea to use record covers. I have seen some special frames for vinyl covers and even paperback books, they are designed to display them but also to allow you to take them out quickly and easily so you can still play or read them.

We have a lot of blob and splodge paintings too. :flower:

And thanks, I really like the robot and LO is delighted with him. I got him from the Caroline McGrath website and she has a lot of others too, all with a slight twist to the description of the thing you are or are not like.

I'd say her website was well worth a look, I've bought from her twice now and she's very helpful and friendly about orders. If you sign up for the email newsletter she sends you discount codes too.

Every Rose - I really like the sound of the stuff you have up - in my ideal house I'd have that kind of thing - I just couldn't carry it off in this flat. I wish I could work out how to put photos on BnB - I just haven't managed it yet so I'll try & describe them -
In the living room we've got -
An abstract that my brother painted
Sunset over Rio
A big black & white photo of Chinese fishermen (sounds odd but the scenery is beautiful)
2 of those frames that have 3 pictures in each with pictures of Northumberland (where we went on honeymoon)
In the hall -
A painting of irises a friend did for me
A Van Gogh starry night poster
A tiny picture of a door in a garden wall looking through to a secret garden
A painting of flowers another friend did
In the bedroom
a big canvas with a view of Santorini at the foot of the bed so it looks like we're waking up in Greece!
A picture of 4 trees (one for each season) made with paper pulp
A picture of a heart that DH painted for me
The spare room has all the pictures on it that we don't know where else to put - a poster of doors from Ludlow, a tapestry my Nanny did, a poster that says 'You can never have too many books' etc

Every Rose - I really like the sound of the stuff you have up - in my ideal house I'd have that kind of thing - I just couldn't carry it off in this flat. I wish I could work out how to put photos on BnB - I just haven't managed it yet so I'll try & describe them -
In the living room we've got -
An abstract that my brother painted
Sunset over Rio
A big black & white photo of Chinese fishermen (sounds odd but the scenery is beautiful)
2 of those frames that have 3 pictures in each with pictures of Northumberland (where we went on honeymoon)
In the hall -
A painting of irises a friend did for me
A Van Gogh starry night poster
A tiny picture of a door in a garden wall looking through to a secret garden
A painting of flowers another friend did
In the bedroom
a big canvas with a view of Santorini at the foot of the bed so it looks like we're waking up in Greece!
A picture of 4 trees (one for each season) made with paper pulp
A picture of a heart that DH painted for me
The spare room has all the pictures on it that we don't know where else to put - a poster of doors from Ludlow, a tapestry my Nanny did, a poster that says 'You can never have too many books' etc

That's very true! I need that poster. :haha:

All your things sound lovely.

The only non-text based pictures we have that aren't photos are a blue and white painting of Dean Martin that my friend painted, a print of of woman getting changed before a stage show, a big black and white photo of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davies Jnr and Peter Lawford and a painting called Musician with Dog.

I'm sure I've got some others in the loft but I think they are mostly black and white photos of various places.

i don't have any artwork but i do have a bit in my hallway where morgan got a pen and drew a "picture" :haha:

i've got photos and artwork of emily's
hung in the hallway and living room

and then about 10 little pictures i printed
off and framed myself of various flowers, lines
etc that match the room themes

inexpensive and look quite good :thumbup:

xx​

i've just started my wall art in my room i'm pretty proud of it :)blush:) i'll post some photos, i've got the word CLOCK on my windowsill with a clock in the O, Love word, butterflies & a letter framed, downstairs we have various paintings :lol: i'll add some photos in a spoiler x

https://i51.tinypic.com/2v8pkqr.jpghttps://i51.tinypic.com/9a4bwg.jpg
https://i55.tinypic.com/o86qo0.jpg
https://i56.tinypic.com/e7ce37.jpg
https://i53.tinypic.com/242h1ed.jpg

tadaaa :rofl:

https://i51.tinypic.com/2v8pkqr.jpghttps://i51.tinypic.com/9a4bwg.jpg
https://i55.tinypic.com/o86qo0.jpg
https://i56.tinypic.com/e7ce37.jpg
https://i53.tinypic.com/242h1ed.jpg

tadaaa :rofl:

That's very cool!!

Not much really, 4 professional photos of brighton pier in silver frames :D
A black and white trees picture from Ikea, its one where the sunlight is just coming through them :)
Trying to keep the minimalist look we are
oh but we have a huge mirror as we need to create the aspect of space in such a tiny place

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->