What meds can you take?

timeforababy

Mummy to 1
Reaction score
I've just woken up on Christmas Eve with a sore throat and a snuffly nose. :( :growlmad:

The NHS probably won't give me a course of antibiotics (I know i have a strep throat, I always have a strep throat) and I know I can't take lemsip max because of the dose of caffeine.

Does anyone know of what is safe to take at the end of the first tri? I'm practically 12 weeks today.

Very annoyed.

There are safe antibiotics that you can take when pregnant, so I'd try to get an appointment with your GP. Otherwise, it's just paracetamol.

Hope you manage to get it sorted x

I had a cold and my pharmacist said paracetamol, honey and lemon hot drinks and halls soothers. Vicks is also safe.
Hope you feel better soon :) x

Spoon of honey twice a day, warn drinks, warm salt water gargle.

If you have strep there are safe antibiotics that will target your throat. If it's truly strep you will need something to get better. I've been there its no fun! Get well soon! Xx

Thanks everyone. Trying honey and lemon for now.

(TMI), there's been great globs of green phlegm so I know it's pretty much bacterial and I just want it to go away now.

perhaps it's not strep. I've had it twice and it's not typical for it to be accompanied by snot and phlegm, a tell tell sign of strep is white spots on tonsils. check in the mirror. my whole family has had this god awful cold for a week now. lots of mucous, coughing up green phlegm and stuffy, snotty noses. im using cough drops, tylenol, warm drinks, and toughing it out. doctors won't give us a thing, not even the three year old. its terrible to have on Christmas :(. best of luck to you but at least you may not have to waste time and money at a doc for nothing if it's not strep. fingers crossed for you. merry Christmas

perhaps it's not strep. I've had it twice and it's not typical for it to be accompanied by snot and phlegm, a tell tell sign of strep is white spots on tonsils. check in the mirror. my whole family has had this god awful cold for a week now. lots of mucous, coughing up green phlegm and stuffy, snotty noses. im using cough drops, tylenol, warm drinks, and toughing it out. doctors won't give us a thing, not even the three year old. its terrible to have on Christmas :(. best of luck to you but at least you may not have to waste time and money at a doc for nothing if it's not strep. fingers crossed for you. merry Christmas

One of the great things about the NHS - no cost to going to the Dr! ;) Gorgeous Bernese btw! Love that breed. Is s/he yours?

I agree that there's a phlegm-y thing going round. I had flu a couple of weeks ago with loads of greeny-yellow lumps of phlegm, with blood in it. Dr said flu, not infected. Still coughing up phlegm atm, darn stuff won't go. But if the Dr does diagnose strep there are safe anti-biotics for pregnancy. Green does often mean infection, but maybe sinus infection rather than strep throat? I'd go to the Drs anyway.

One of the great things about the NHS - no cost to going to the Dr! ;) Gorgeous Bernese btw! Love that breed. Is s/he yours?

I agree that there's a phlegm-y thing going round. I had flu a couple of weeks ago with loads of greeny-yellow lumps of phlegm, with blood in it. Dr said flu, not infected. Still coughing up phlegm atm, darn stuff won't go. But if the Dr does diagnose strep there are safe anti-biotics for pregnancy. Green does often mean infection, but maybe sinus infection rather than strep throat? I'd go to the Drs anyway.

I'm marginally better today. And I had the flu vaccine as soon as I found out I was pregnant. There is a thought there is some cross-immunity to other viral infections (ie flu's and colds) but not enough for this one that I've just caught!

The surgery isn't open until Monday anyways, so 48 hours to go. I think it will clear enough by then. The cough hurts my lower abdomen though, think it's where the muscles have given up for uterus to pop. :winkwink:

I'm marginally better today. And I had the flu vaccine as soon as I found out I was pregnant. There is a thought there is some cross-immunity to other viral infections (ie flu's and colds) but not enough for this one that I've just caught!

The surgery isn't open until Monday anyways, so 48 hours to go. I think it will clear enough by then. The cough hurts my lower abdomen though, think it's where the muscles have given up for uterus to pop. :winkwink:

I had the flu vaccine last week, but had flu when I was three weeks along, so before I knew I was pregnant. Figured it was worth having the vaccine anyway in case it was a different strain I'd had. At least it meant the 2ww passed quickly, I was too poorly to think about being pregnant! Didn't even test until a couple of days after my period was due. Glad you're feeling a bit better. Fingers crossed for continuing recovery.

Thanks! yes he is mine. hes a wonderful dog. the best. I think our colds have officially turned bacterial. getting worse now instead of better. hope you all are feeling better than we are!

Thanks! yes he is mine. hes a wonderful dog. the best. I think our colds have officially turned bacterial. getting worse now instead of better. hope you all are feeling better than we are!

:( so sorry to hear yours has gone worse. I think mine is a little bit better. Very glad I'm off work until 5 Jan though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->