What possible explanation is there for my body rejecting water??!!

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
I semi understand the theories behind morning sickness, protecting your baby from toxins etc as baby will feed off mum at this stage and doesn't need many calories but SURELY nature can't be so stupid as to eliminate water completely from a pregnant woman's diet? I'm surviving on sips of fizzy drinks which makes me feel crappy and guilty. I am so so thirsty all the time I want to down water but it makes me gag. What is the reasoning here??!!!

There is no rhyme or reason I don't think in past pregnancies I've had to eat a limited diet or my body would reject food

I have heard of this before and I think there is no sure explanation.

Definitely you need medical care, maybe and IV to get hydrated.

There are a few things that can make a body reject water to some degree but these are just my guesses, definitely see a gastroenterologist and possibly an endocrinologist.

Some sort of acid reflux could be behind or gastritis. Hormones knowlingly affect the digestive system and if your hormones are out of whack they could cause things they shouldn't.
Once you are already dehydrated badly your body will reject water even more.

There is some evidence that suggests that a lack of magnesium, vitamin B and other critical nutrients can bring on severe morning sickness...which could result in making it harder to keep water down.

For me eating certain foods caused slight stomach acid problems in pregnancy. I am fine when I leave out starches and foods high in carbs. These foods also result in nausea for me. I have been nausea free in pregnancy by cutting them out, supplementing with magnesium and eating Vitamin B rich foods.

Have you tried getting water from fruits? Maybe your body will tolerate it better from oranges, cucumber, tomato etc.

Have you tried carbonated water?

This is my exact problem and I've been admitted to the hospitAl yesterday!! Extreme dehydration. Now on iv fluids :( I wasn't able to drink water only fizzy stuff

I'm scared of this happening to me!!
Everything makes me gag, some things I can still get down but liquids are so difficult and getting sick makes me lose a lot of liquids that I do manage to get down...
Iced tea with lemon seems to help, and fizzy water/soda...Gatorade worked for a week but now grosses me out. It's trial and error for sure...
I picked up some Emetrol yesterday for nausea relief...hopefully that eases it

Apparently we can be really dehydrated and not know. It's so bad for the growing fetus too. They are pumping me with tons of fluids now bc I can't drink water... Feeling better though!

Drink whatever whenever you can for now don't worry what it is.

have you tried fizzy water with something like lemon (and cold). I went off water completely in the early stages of pregnancy both times (and ditto if I have a stomach bug). It has to be lemonade or cold fizzy water with lemon. I can just about to stomach cold water with lemon.

I found it to be a taste thing that made me gag, the thought of drinking plain water just made be gag rather than a physical thing

This happened to me very briefly, there was a day where I woke up and had a hot cup of water, just water and nothing else, and it sent me bending over the garbage can. Luckily for me it only lasted a day or two. If this is something that persists for you, definitely get it checked out.

I've got this issue as well. I tote around a water canister and squeeze half a lemon in it every time I refill. I'm the crazy chick with lemons in her purse.. haha. The lemon seems to help with the nausea too.

Have you tried really really icy cold water? In the first tri, I absolutely could not tolerate room temperature or even cool water. I had to put so much ice in all my water bottles in order to stay hydrated!

Unfortunatly iv had this issue for weeks..
I dont usuallt drimk fizzy but its all i can bare.im living off diet irn bru...fizzy vimto and orange juice

Mw said stay away from coke but the irn brus ok but drinkin is better than not x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->