what really is 'sleeping through'?

My LO has been sleeping through since about 5 months.....but only if we co-sleep and she is allowed all night access to the boob. So although she sleeps all night she also feeds.

I think STTN can mean either they sleep a good chunk from grown up bedtime until early grown up waking time (so about 11pm-6am), or it can meant they sleep from baby bedtime until a decent grown up wake time (so 7pm-7am).

My son did what i consider to be sleeping through from day one. He would sleep from 8pm until 9/10am the next morning (he's still lazy now!) :haha:

Chloe does what i consider not to be sleeping through...waking 3/4/5 times between 10pm and 7am :dohh:

I read in Prima baby that ''sleeping through'' is a 5+ hour stretch! x

oo some interesting replies! I'd always considered 'sleeping through' to be from adult bedtime to adult wake time too, though with the cold he's had the last few days I'll take the 5-hours-straight-sleep back and run with it!! :)

Incredibly jealous of some of you!! :sleep:

I consider my LO to sleep through - bed at 8, dream feed at 10.30 then he wakes up between 5.30 and 7 for a feed, then will sleep again til about 9.30-10. In my eyes it's sleeping through if I don't have to get out of bed before OH gets up for work :)

my lo goes down 11-12 man thats late lol then i always keep my fingers crossed and she sleeps till 6 or 7 i have no routine really just that bit of a night last feed in bed change bum wind again then into basket so far its working lol hopefully she will go to bed at a normal time like 8pm like my others, but tbh i'm just enjoying her being a baby and having baby cuddles ;) x she is an awful sleeper in the day never sleeps for longer than 20 mins or so :( unless she's on me or were out? its annoying, as i have her constantly, but if she sleeps at nite like she is then anything for some sleep lol x

Daisy slept through 10 hours at 6 weeks, now she doesn't sleep at all.
You're not doing anything wrong, and with the best will in the world, some babies just don't want to sleep all night! It's quite uncommon though and she will probably get better as time goes on :)

I considered my DS to have slept through when he goes to sleep at 'baby bedtime' (about 8pm usually for him) to a reasonable time for us to get some sleep (6am) without waking for a feed. He's done this a fair bit since being 3 months old.
From reading the replies, it sounds like sleeping through means different things to different people.

i consider 9 hours sleeping through as this is how much sleep i used to get before i was pregnant luckily sophias been sleeping through from 8pm til 6-7am since about 8 weeks old

Chloe was 10wks on Sunday, she sleeps around 8-9hours at night with no waking inbetween and has done this for a few weeks now. Her sleeping really improved though when we started getting her into a routine of a 6oz bottle every three hours (she's a greedy madam lol). We've now slightly adjusted it to 5 bottles three 7oz and two 6oz and shes still sleeping well.

Tegan "slept through" aged eight weeks - from 8pm until 5-6am. She had a dreamfeed at about midnight until she was about 5 months old.

Sleeping through the night is 4-5 hours at night. It basically means the baby no longer is sleeping mostly in the daytime and is awake too long at night. Or what some people say getting their days and nights confused. Actually baby sleeping patterns are perfect from birth because that is how some recluse tribes sleep. They simply are forced to adapt to you and civilization.

At 4wks our LO started sleeping 5-6 hours. she'll wake up every 2-3 hours to feed but stopped staying up for 1-2 hours like before. her schedule is not perfect as sometimes she'll sleep at 2-3am but once she sleeps she'll get a full 5-6 hours in. just the other night she kept waking up every 15 mins or so until 7am. the next day she looked noticeably bigger! that'll probably happen a few more times as she goes through growth spurts. If they sleep for too long they can get dehydrated or develop diaper rash. I like to change her diapers every 2-3 pees. Diapers are really cheap here though...we get mamy poko for 25 cents.

Sam's 10 weeks and has pretty much been 'sleeping through' since about 7 weeks. He usually dozes downstairs with us from about 9.30 -11pm. At 11-12pm we take him up, give him his last bottle (usually 210mls) and put him down and he sleeps until 8-9am, without waking at all.

I love it - it's brilliant, but well aware could change anytime! I think we are probably luckier than most.

In fact the last couple of nights he has woken up at about 6am - either settles with his dummy or we have to take him into bed with us where he sleeps till 8-9am.

Evan is 9 weeks and sleeps 8.30-8.30 with a wake up and feed at about 5/6ish - I'd class him as sleeping through when he drops that feed and does the full night. We never have to go to him (own room) as he self settles sucking his thumb.

As far as I'm concerned, sleeping through is putting LO to bed at night and them not waking or needing settling / feeding etc until getting up time in the morning. I don't think a baby should sleep through at any particular age though, every baby is different xx

Harry's been doing it since he was 6 weeks old to the day! I was really surprised as he just suddenly did it and hasn't stopped.

He goes to bed between 10 and 11pm and isn't awake until 7:30am the next morning. All the "guidelines" say that he shouldn't have been able to that young, babies need to be 11lb at least to sleep more than 4ish hours etc (he's not even 11lb now!) and breastfed babies in particular are less likely to....he's proved all of those statements wrong!

Harry sucks his thumb too...I think it was starting this habit that helped him get such a good night time sleeping routine. Establishing a good sense of day and night has also helped, i.e. minimum stimulation during night feeds, bath and quiet feed before his big sleep etc.

Ruby did 9 hour stretches from 6 weeks. No idea why, but I guess I said she was sleeping through then. According to most people, she doesn't sleep through now though, because most evenings around 11pm she needs very briefly re settling. She hasn't had a feed in the night since 5 weeks old though.

for me personally its getting 8 hours flat with no interuptions just like I used to. I think if you can at least manage 6 hours its an improvement :)
I got one or two nights when LO was 5 months, but soon as she hit the next growth spurt and was needing to be weaned its two times a night again. The weird thing was we also changed to Aptimal Hungry for night feeds when she was 5 months and this is when she started waking more!

Hoping that when shes 1 years old it will get better, as I will need to get back to work in the summer! :D

Connor has been sleeping 10-11 hrs a night since 12 weeks. I consider that sleeping through!

God you are so lucky my lo rarely sleeps more than a couple of hours a night. I agree with the others sleeping through is a good long stretch without having to get up to feed or dummy. Dreaming of those days soon. :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->