what should i do!

Discussion in 'Formula Feeding' started by wispa86, Jan 29, 2011.

1. wispa86

wispa86 2 Boys and a Bump

i suspected that Ollie had reflux a few weeks ago and the health visitor basically told me i was making it up because i felt guilty about stopping BF.

i ended up changing to comfort milk which made him a little bit better so i assumed it was colic but we still had major problems settling him at bed time

i went to get him new formula yesterday as we were totally out and NO WHERE had it so i ended up getting 1st milk as an emegency.

its been a disaster, today he has been sick in small amounts for the whole 4 hours between the feeds, he cant settle and has been very uncomfortable showing signs id link to wind but after having dentinox and gripe water with every feed!

im considering switching to SMA staydown because i dont want gaviscon due to his poo problems anyway but i also dont want to keep messing him around with milk. What would you do, wait till monday to see the dr or just go out and get sma staydown before his next feed?!

2. charlotte-xo

charlotte-xo Alfie and Darcey's mummy

alfies got silent reflux, he doesnt throw up just gets the burn from the acid.
    dont listen to your hv what a cow for saying your making it up!!

if i were you id go out and get the sma stay down if you thought he was better on that.
    then get yourself to the doctors on monday and see what they can do to help.
    alfie has gaviscon and its not affected his toilet habbits lol...but it can for some babies.
    theres other products out there that are simular to gaviscon, i went to the doctors for another perscription and i asked about carobel and gelmix (formula thickeners) but i decided to stay with gaviscon because hes doing so well with it (touch wood it stays like this)

good luck hun and i hope your lo gets something to help him.

<3

3. wispa86

i just dont want to swap his milk again and then get told monday to swap back, not because of money but i cant see it being good for his tiny tummy.

i said to my hubby that i dont want to put him on something he doesnt need but the website says its nutritionally complete so i guess it cant do him harm if it is something other than reflux?? i dont see how it can be though because hes doing plenty of burps and having LOTS of stuff for wind.......

4. stardust599

stardust599 Well-Known Member

Macy is under a paediatrician for reflux, it might seem like it'll never get better (we've been begging for help since she was 2-3weeks old) but it does, I promise!

SMA Staydown might help, it did help my LO a good bit but then we found out she has a milk allergy as well as reflux so she's now on Neocate (prescription only milk)

Don't give Detinox or Infacol as they can make reflux worse because they loosen the valve at the top of the stomach and allow milk and acid to come up. Gripe water is okay as it just really settles the tummy and is also a mild antacid. Gaviscon gave my LO horrendous constipation so I stopped it but I know some peoples LO are fine on it.

Do all the normal reflux stuff - change nappy before feeds so you don't have to lay LO down (and elevate the changing mat with a cushion or something), keep upright for at least 30mins, don't pat back when winding - just rub gently, elevate the crib. If that doesn't work you may need to ask the DR for something else. Ranitidine is usually the first thing tried xx

5. wispa86

i will stop dentinox and see how we go, we cant get SMA staydown tonight anywhere, our boots and none of ou supermarkets stock it.

he settled really well for the first time last night so i thought it was an aptamil problem because i had to buy cow and gate for him but today hes just been so uncomfortable ive felt really sorry for him.

6. wispa86

heres a thought........he was on size 2 teats for comfort milk which is thicker, do you think i should move him down to size 1 again to see if that helps because it might be that he is guzzling the milk??

7. AimeeM

AimeeM Mum to 3 Boys.

A fantastic thing for reflux is a thickener called Carobel. You can get it on prescription or order it in Boots for £5. It works really well if you add it to either prescription milk or 1st milk. You can't add it to staydown milk or with Gaviscon though but it is better that both IMO.

8. tu123

tu123 Well-Known Member

Your Hv is obviously a "jobs worth" type of person!

Gaviscon can give babies constipation but not all-my LO is fine on it. It is not just a thickener. It is also an antacid. If you want a propr thicknenr then sma stay down is the trick -but that wont neccessarily stop the acid problem. And THAT can also cause constipation.

It is all trial and error-ignore your jobs worth HV! Go with your parenting instincts!:winkwink:

Stardust-how does Infacol loosen the oesophageal spincter? Its simeticone which is inert and does not get absorbed into the blood stream? Would be interested to know as i give LO Infacol almost every feed so i'm a bit worried now!

Jeez-always something to worry about:winkwink: