What should we buy and how much of it ????

jj-rabbit

Mum to Chase
Reaction score
Hi all, started looking at baby bits to buy today, as we have been doing the house up, but as that's nearly done we can finally start getting some baby bits. All of a sudden i feel really panicked that i just don't know what we need!

We've been given a moses basket by my sil and are getting a new mattress but what else do we need? Sheets etc

Also how much stuff is everyone getting, i.e. just about to order our cot bed but no idea how many fitted sheets we should get or blankets etc?

Also how many babygrows, sleepsuits?

Sorry if i sound really daft, just feeling a bit lost on what we actually need without going ott.

Any help would be much appreicated xxx

I totally know the feeling and probably won't be much help coz I am just feeling my way like you... am 37 weeks tomorrow so nearly there buying essentials I think but the way we've worked it is a bit at a time... otherwise it becomes overwhelming and very scary!

First things we started picking up were babygrows and vests- 0-3 and 3-6 month ones mainly. We've only got a couple of newborn ones (which were given to us second hand). So many people have told me they never used the newborn size and even those that did found 0-3 month perfectly satisfactory in those first few weeks too (just roll up the arms and stuff- save money!):thumbup: We just bought a very girly snowsuit in the debs sale today so it'll be very amusing if LO turns out to be a boy. Amazingly enough it was my OH who insisted we get it claiming warmth is more important than style!

We bought our moses basket and stand on ebay for £5 quite early on too but have only just bought fitted sheets (2) and flat sheets (2) for it today. (It came with two second hand sheets already). MIL has knitted three blankets for us. We ordered our cotbed in the sale yesterday but have no bedding for it as yet coz we are planning on keeping little one in moses basket for at least first few months.

Other than that we've been advised to have plenty of nappies, wipes and muslin squares at the ready. We also bought a bath support and bath themometer today. Don't think we've got much else to speak of... It's so difficult to know when it's your first.

Anyhow... good luck!!! :happydance:

A lot depends on how much washing you want to do... the more you have the less you need to wash! But if you don't mind the washing you can get by with a lot less. My baby tends to spit up a lot so we go through lots of burp cloths. I really like the sleep bags vs. blankets for sleeping- so only using blankets for cuddling while holding her or laying on the floor, etc.

I have my girl in a basinett right now & have 2 sheets but wished I had a 3rd so I was washing less often.

I had planned on breastfeeding but we had issues with it so we are doing formula - I had to buy more bottles & found that I needed more than I would have thought so that when I am sleep deprived at 4am I am not needing to wash a bottle.

Edit: I found that with my girl being so little that I had to go out and buy newborn clothes. We were too frusterated with clothes being too big - they were swimming on her!

Diapers - my LO gets changed every few hours - so about 10-12 diapers a day - a box of diapers doesnt last very long. Also have gone through one of the large boxes of wipes already.

Ahh thanks so much for your replies. There is just so much and when it is your first baby you just don't know what you need do you.

Will make a list of the bits you have both mentioned and think we will start to get bits a little at a time. x

Do a quick search on google for new baby essentials etc and you'll find loads of lists. Things you might not think about such as nappy rash cream or room thermometer etc. I found lusts really helpful. If I wasn't on my phone I'd post mine! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->