What sort of things go in a home birthing kit?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by eswift, Aug 24, 2009.

1. eswift

eswift Well-Known Member

Hi!:hi:

I'm sorry to ask what may seems an odd question. I wasn't wanting a home birth, but after a visit to local hospital yesterday; I've been told to sort one out. More for just in case...

I spoke to midwife today, and I'm still none the wiser? :shrug: Just wondered if anyone knew what a kit contains?:blush:

Thanks for any advice or help...:hugs:

2. diz

diz Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm having a HB and my kit includes.....

birth ball
    music
    candles
    log fire set up and ready to go
    plug in radiator to put babies towels on
    visqueen to protect floor 2m x 4m
    shower curtain 1.8m x 1.8m
    isotonic drinks
    plenty of tea, coffee, cakes, bread, just general stuff to eat...
    all baby cloths, nappies, breast pads, maternity pads etc, etc, etc are on tap....
    hospital transfer bag packed and ready to go....just in case,
    pethidine prescription
    champagne!!!!
    old duvet and cover

the only thing the midwife really suggested i needed was the prescription from the Drs, that way i had pethidine if i wanted it, and the floor protection, and access to heat up babies towels and cloths (tumble dryer)

Ummm... if i think of any thing else i'll let you know xx

3. SianMA

SianMA Mum to Ryan TTC#2

Good list diz - I would just add a few things:-

- A stack of old towels
    - waterproof matress protector (would advise everyone to get one incase your waters go in bed)
    - Disposable absorbent bed pads

disposable bed pads (sometimes called Tyco or Lille pads) can be bought from an online incontinence product provider, they are basically flat squares of nappy-type material that they use in hospitals on beds or chairs during labour. They are much cheaper if you buy them online than in mothercare/ boots (£8 for 25 squares rather than £6 for 5 squares in the shops) try www.allaboutincontinence.co.uk and look for disposable bed pads. They're also handy if your waters break and you have to get into a car to go to hospital.

If you're not actually planning to stay at home other than for early labour I'd say you only need your hospital bag packed (which would probaby contain most of the stuff on Diz's list) and some stuff to protect your bed/ furniture incase it gets a bit messy before your contractions are regular enough to go in. Midwives/ paramedics will have everything else if it happens so quickly you don't make it to hospital.

4. eswift

eswift Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice and list ladies... I didn't explain what the issue is...

My last labour was 36 mins, and I now live about 30 mins away from the nearest hospital. The only reason I went to the hospital last time is because my sister and OH at the time were getting on my nerves bickering... I can't remember having contactions or being in pain. Mum's 2nd labour lasted all of 3 miles (in my Dad's words..) So it's better to be prepared for a home birth rather than trying to rush to the hospital...

As the nearest hospital if there are difficulties is just about an hour away, even if I go to the local hospital, they're transferring you by ambulance to the other at the sign of any difficulties, which is just as far from there as it is from my house. Hopefully, it'll just ease my anxiety...

I'm not bothered by the labour, but I am about getting to the hospital... I sure you understand...

Thanks ladies once again xxxx