What to buy? And when?

This is where I'd rather other people weren't involved... still skeptical... I just know that nobody else is deciding what is going to work best for me/hubby and bump

*******************************************************************************************************

EDIT!

Sorry sorry sorry! I didn't mean to sound like a doofus there - I was replying to the post about parents buying things for you.
I wasn't referring to any kind of advice or what have you ;)

I just meant if granddaddy walked in with a new pram for bubs, I might be a little less than overjoyed.

Lazy Leo.....I think she was replying to my post about my Dad. Sounds like good advice re: the car seat. I never would have thought of that!

Seraphim....I have somehow got to convince my Mum NOT to buy a load of baby-gro's etc because I feel the same way. I don't mind people wanting to get us stuff as long as they realise that it has to work for us, not them, and also while it sounds abit spoiled, we want to choose and buy the things. It's all part of the excitement and fitting the bubs in with our lives.

Bless my mum, she wants to get us so much stuff but she really will take over if not careful. She's even on about buying us all our cleaning stuff to the tune of £40 a month!!!!! I don't use that in a year!!!!

:blush: Oops!

My own fault for sounding like a spoilt brat there ;)

I was just having a moment where I was mentally closing our front door to all of our wonderufl friends and family and savouring this baby for US.

I'm hoping to explain to my folks that if hubby went off and bought a cot for bubs with his folks... then I would feel horribly left our of my own baby's life. It is a little surprising that intelligent people don't automatically get there.

Althought this is all a little unfair of me, because as yet - nobody has offered to buy anything! :rofl:

I'm just feeling a little protective of our bump-of-magic ;)

Don't worry seraphim....I feel exactly the same with regards to being possesive. I'm hoping that when I speak to the family they will accept that we don't want people to buy us things 'un-announced' - would rather they gave us the money or asked us what we wanted. (we've considered doing a list, like a wedding list' but we think people may just buy what they think are 'reasonable alternatives'....which we don't want.) I'm hoping to just get them to see it our way soon.

I haven't told anyone except OH daughter and my boss, so no nice offers here, don't expect to get any once they know either though, still I have loads of stuff left from Charlotte so I don't need to get much.

I've just decided on my 'When'

My big concern was poor daddy-to-be being bamboozled by it. And I know I don't want to leave it all last minute, spreading the cost before mat leave will help.

But 2nd Trimester will be my nesting window.

I'm a bit battered after a motorbike accident 11+ years ago... so I don't know how the 3rd Tri will be for getting around or pain.

So I think I'm going to take the time between work in the 2nd Tri to make the 3rd room into baby's room. Which will also give us a little while to take it all in. We might leave things packed up in there until later on, a premature shrine might be a little creepy ;)

It will be a nice way to celebrate 12 week scan too :D

I think I found the pram/travel system I want! \o/

Now I just have to find it in store to push and lift and fold it :D

:happydance:

I love this thread! As an avid control-freak and list-maker, I've been feeling a little out of control recently. What with my body & the NHS making all the decisions- 'No meat for you today', 'I don't think you should smell that' & 'Not sure when your scan is, but I'll chase it up'.

I've happily been doing lots of research on-line and by flicking through catalogues (Argos, Tesco Direct, Ikea...). Haven't got to the spreadsheet stage as yet though!

eBay is great for bargains, a friend recently got a pram-thing (this is why I need to research- I don't know the proper name for the pram-thing!) that retails at around £400 for £50. In brilliant condition too.

I'm definitely going to have to do it on a budget and don't have a problem with second-hand things, with the exceptions of the mattress, bottles etcs, and baby-grows. In fact if there's anyone similar, yahoo groups have the Freecycle networks; I use my local one quite regularly and have always noticed unwanted baby things on them.

I think the thing I'm going to invest in is some proper nappies...

With my last pregnancys i brought everything new but i cant see the point in paying so much for the buggy i want new when i will change my mind about it after a few months :rofl: (yes i know im terrible). My oh wants to buy a brand new everything so ive been buying few bits off ebay and hiding them :blush: in the babys box, babys going to be born anything from 27 wks so prem baby clothes are a must but really expensive on the high street so been stocking up on them brought a cute snowsuit off ebay for £2! Been looking at pushchairs on there as well and this time decided that i want a carrycot then turn into a pushchair but need something light as catch buses everyday so havent decided what to buy yet! Im going to start making lists after my scan next week when i know everything is ok xx

If you google baby nasal aspirator you'll find quite a lot of the snot grabbers lol

I'm glad I'm not alone in the need to research/desire to get it all organised ;D

I'm desperately trying to hold off on the researching everything but this thread is just shouting at me to go and look. It's worse than the girls shouting POAS in TTC lol!!!!

My step mum is due the end of this month and has said I've got a lot of stuff coming my way, even maternity clothes.

I know she'll have looked after everything so it'll be fab and my grandparents have offered to purchase a large item for us.

This is a fabulous thread!! I am so excited now just reading through :) I was trying not to get too into it till I knew everything was ok but after seeing little bean wriggling about yesterday, I cannot help but get excited :) Hope this one keeps going as it is going to be quite a resource for us mummies to be :)

Hi everybody,
Im new here but just wanted to reply to this before introducing myself.
Im expecting my 2nd child and am hoping ill manage to rule out a few things i bought for DD that were really pointless buys.
Things like a top and tail bowl, baby bath, its easier to buy a seat for the big bath, swing we never used, travel system i bought a biggish one and hated it as i dont drive (yet) but will by the time this one is here getting on busses was a nightmare and i swapped to a stroller soon as!

I havent read through the whole thread but i hope someones mentions muslin cloths, they wipe up everything, snot, sick, dribble, milk.
Love Kirst x

First time around I had everything new, and only had a 1 bed place so didn't have any nursery furniture (apart from cot). Between pregnancies we got rid of everything for baby, and I mean everything (we wasn't going to have a 2nd until we changed our minds, oops) So this time I have to start all over again and we have a nursery now, but I still will not buy a changing unit - I always just changed on the floor using a changing mat!

Useful buys: cot, travel system, changing mat (not unit), defo the snot grabber!, bouncy chair, vests, babygros, tons of maternity pads, rubber ring!

Not useful buys: Fisher Price Aquarium swing, top and tail bowls, flannels, baby towels, cotton wool, moses basket (by 5 weeks DS woke himself up hitting his arms on the sides!), 'proper clothes/outfits' - like jeans, jumpers.

thing is learning from 1st pregnancy may not help, just because DS didn't like the aquarium swing, the next one might love it.......

I'm not against 2nd hand or hand-me-downs at all so will be happy for any offers from friends/family! lol

Girls, what are the thoughts on nappies / diapers? I have friends who use washable ones but I cannot seem to find info on whats the best for the baby??? Any of you mums got any insight?

Its a good thing to wait coz 1. you can see what prezzies you get, and 2. friends and family might be able to help you out with some stuff.
My cousin and my best friend had their babies 2/3 months ago, and theyre gonna hold on to some stuff for me.

If ya gran didn't have it u dont need it is a rule if ur gunna save money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->