What to expect at first doctors appointment?

At my first appointment the doctor basically said "If you get a positive test at home, you're pregnant, so congrats!" We just chatted a bit. He took my weight and sent me for bloodwork to confirm the pregnancy and test for various things. Nothing super exciting or stressful really. The second appointment he just went over my bloodwork and sent me for an ultrasound at 7.5 weeks. Let me know if you have any specific fears or questions!

For my first appointment, I didn't even see a dr's face. They just sent me straight to labs to confirm pregnancy (they drew blood). Then set up my 11 W appointment and sent me straight home!

Well I guess it depends I had a first appt just said I was pregnant but then had a first OB appt.I know some drs just wait and see you at 8 weeks for the first ob appt and skip the testing part.How far along are you?

I have my first appt in a couple weeks and have ultrasound scheduled right before I'm suposed to see the dr. Is this something my hubby should be present for?

My first appt I was 7 weeks, 4 days. My OB explained that the purpose of first appointment was to confirm that the pregnancy was in the uterus (not ectopic) and viable (progressing as it should). The first thing she did was take a quick culture (swab) inside my vagina to test for vaginal infections and she did the "feel" for my uterus and said it was big and that's a good sign. At that early phase the best way to see anything is to do an intravaginal ultrasound which is where they put a probe-like thing inside you (only a little) and it shows up on the screen. It's really not as uncomfortable as it sounds either, it's ten times better than having the speculum in there!! So anyway, while that was in me she checked on my ovaries and then showed me my uterus with the baby in there and it just looked like a little blob and she pointed out the little flickering which was the heart beating. It was really amazing. She did a measurement to see how big it was and if it was growing accurately according to my last period. That was it, the whole exam/ultrasound part only took maybe 5 minutes I guess.
I have been told that IF you are due for a pap smear anyway that they may do that at your first appointment as well. Also depending on your doctor or maybe your insurance they may not do an ultrasound if you are early on at all. Otherwise it may or may not be very similar to mine, I hope that helps.
Try not to worry, chances are everything will be perfect and it will be so exciting!!
:flower:

My first appt I was 7 weeks, 4 days. My OB explained that the purpose of first appointment was to confirm that the pregnancy was in the uterus (not ectopic) and viable (progressing as it should). The first thing she did was take a quick culture (swab) inside my vagina to test for vaginal infections and she did the "feel" for my uterus and said it was big and that's a good sign. At that early phase the best way to see anything is to do an intravaginal ultrasound which is where they put a probe-like thing inside you (only a little) and it shows up on the screen. It's really not as uncomfortable as it sounds either, it's ten times better than having the speculum in there!! So anyway, while that was in me she checked on my ovaries and then showed me my uterus with the baby in there and it just looked like a little blob and she pointed out the little flickering which was the heart beating. It was really amazing. She did a measurement to see how big it was and if it was growing accurately according to my last period. That was it, the whole exam/ultrasound part only took maybe 5 minutes I guess.
I have been told that IF you are due for a pap smear anyway that they may do that at your first appointment as well. Also depending on your doctor or maybe your insurance they may not do an ultrasound if you are early on at all. Otherwise it may or may not be very similar to mine, I hope that helps.
Try not to worry, chances are everything will be perfect and it will be so exciting!!

This is how my first ob appt was exactly!

I understand I had my first appt at 4w1d to try and rule at an ectopic.I have had 4 u/s's already so I totally understand reasons for going in early.I was just thinking if you were a little further along they may skip the preg testing part.So you may not have the full exam just yet.Congrats!

That's pretty much how mine went, too. I was 6w1d. They did blood work and a pap smear, too. And he gave me a copy of What to Expect When You're Expecting and a bunch of pregnancy magazines, too! :) This time my first appt is Thursday, and I'll be 6w3d. Can't wait to see that heartbeat!! :)

I am so jealous all of you ladies have such early appointments with your drs. My doc. won't even see me until I am 12 weeks :(!

My visit was rather uneventful.

Had to provide a urine sample, which came up positive, he asked if I smoked, and told me to take my prenatals every day and just to keep my fingers crossed that I go the whole 9 months. I then had to go and make a booking in appointment with the midwife, apparently they will take bloods/urine and I may get a scan as I have no clue how far I am (my ticker is just guesswork!)

Hope that helps x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->