What to expect-FTM- bleeding postpartum

bakeranm99

Reaction score
So I'm not quite in postnatal stage yet, but I am having some concerns. A little background. Last year, I had a 14 week miscarriage. Felt recovered in 2 weeks (with the exception of passing a huge clot the size of a lemon 1 week after) and bleeding had stopped for a full 3 weeks. Then, I got what I thought was my first AF. I bled on and off for 4 weeks, sometimes light, sometimes heavy, occasional clotting, sometimes gushing, and eventually, I completely hemorrhaged and needed a blood transfusion, D&C, and was diagnosed as anemic from the ongoing blood loss. Following the D&C I was fine and made a full recovery by October when doctor said we could try again (with the exception of my mental state--I became anxious, worried about my health, had panic attacks, and PTSD from the hemorrhage). Turns out I had retained products of conception (seriously something so small an ultrasound was inconclusive and regular urine pregnancy tests would read negative. My HCG level was at a 6 when I hemorrhaged, a 5 is considered not pregnant). The doctor said I had one small piece of placenta that was feeding into a blood vessel, which is why I continued to bleed for so long. My uterus had clamped down after the miscarriage, but when it opened again, it couldn't close until that piece was removed. I also never had a fever or anything... I kept checking thinking maybe something was retained, but the only sign I had was bleeding.

So now, I am 39+6 waiting to go into labor. I am terrified at the thought of recovery and bleeding. I am terrified I will have late hemorrhage again.
So some of my questions: Do you think it will happen again? What was your bleeding like pp? Did you have clots? How long did you bleed?

I'm hoping to catch any abnormalities before it is too late this time. I consider my body pretty typical. I have always had perfect 28 day cycles--regardless of whether I was on the pill or not. They always lasted the same amount of time, very very regular. Never had issues after the D&C and got pregnant the first cycle DH and I tried again, just by counting days. Had a chemical... which was similar to a period. Waited for a regular AF- again perfect no problems. Then got pregnant and that one stuck. So my point is my reproductive system never seemed to have any issues...

Thanks for any feedback!

Hello!! I have a 3 week old and had a home birth so this was one of my concerns since i wouldnt be in hospital. I had the shot to help the placenta release and help control bleeding. I bled heavy for two days with some clots but it was all a normal amount...then it became more like a normal af. Goodluck!

I hated the bleeding part!! I swear it lasted weeks for me :nope: The one part about pregnancy I don't like.. the after part!! Im terrified this time around I don't know if its because I know now how recovery is or what..

Have you considered trying red raspberry leaf tea to help you? My midwife says that it reduces the time spent bleeding postpartum and reduces the risk of hemorrhage. My friend also swears it helps her cycle as well.

I have been drinking it from the 1st trimester.

I do have some. I drank a little the past few weeks, was planning on a cup a day after she comes. Its kind of expensive here, 8.00 a box with only 16 bags! I tried to save most of it for pp recovery.

Try Amazon. I get 6 boxes of 16 bags for under $20

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->