What to have in my diaper bag..

mummie2be

Reaction score
I don't have to worry about my babys hospital bag seeing as how my hospital supplies everything, all I will need is the carseat and a going home outfit.
But, when it comes to my bag I am completely stumped! Seems every page I go to contradicts something another page says. So, I figured this would be the best place to go!

What do you guys suggest I bring in my hospital bag? What will be useful, what won't be. What might help me be more comfortable as how to health issues I've been practically guaranteed a 2 day stay. And what size bag would be best, in case I have to buy one?

Well, I'm not an overpacker, and our US hospitals, like yours, supply nearly everything. I'm sure you'll get other responses from women too. But here's what I did first time around. I had one duffle bag for labor. It wasn't too big.. Had: iPad, phone, camera, video camera for after the birth, snacks and drinks for my husband, um not too much else. Then I had one bag that my hubby got from the car once we were moved to the post partum room. It had: about 2 nursing bras, Two nursing tank tops( but I never bothered with these in hospital, I just had my nursing bra under hospital gown.... Kept it easy), travel size toiletries for showering brushing teeth etc, larger size underwear for going home ( the pads you wear the first few days are quite large and kinda bulky, plus I wanted to be prepared in case I got an emergency c section) a few changes of clothes for my husband, a baby blanket and going home outfit for the little one, some comfy pants to wear in the hospital ( but like e nursing tank tops i planned to wear them with, i never bother to use them. i bled a lot after and was nervous about the pads leaking and ruining my pants. i just wore one pair to go home in and used the hospital gown... didnt mind ruining that,). And that's about it. Again, I think everyone will have a little different lists, based on personality and such. This time around I'm not going to pack as much clothes as I did the first time. And the one thing I'm gonna bring that I didn't the first time was a boppy pillow for breastfeeding. It just makes the placement of the baby so perfect, great for when baby is learning to latch properly. I think it's good to get ideas from other women then compile what you think would suit you. I just wouldn't go overboard!

Oh I also had brought nursing pads and nipple cream, but didn't use those in the hospital. My milk came in when I got home from the hospital ( the first few days baby just feeds on small amounts of colostrum) so I didn't have leaking until it came in when I was home. Also I didn't need the cream.... That's just me though.

Well, I'm not an overpacker, and our US hospitals, like yours, supply nearly everything. I'm sure you'll get other responses from women too. But here's what I did first time around. I had one duffle bag for labor. It wasn't too big.. Had: iPad, phone, camera, video camera for after the birth, snacks and drinks for my husband, um not too much else. Then I had one bag that my hubby got from the car once we were moved to the post partum room. It had: about 2 nursing bras, Two nursing tank tops( but I never bothered with these in hospital, I just had my nursing bra under hospital gown.... Kept it easy), travel size toiletries for showering brushing teeth etc, larger size underwear for going home ( the pads you wear the first few days are quite large and kinda bulky, plus I wanted to be prepared in case I got an emergency c section) a few changes of clothes for my husband, a baby blanket and going home outfit for the little one, some comfy pants to wear in the hospital ( but like e nursing tank tops i planned to wear them with, i never bother to use them. i bled a lot after and was nervous about the pads leaking and ruining my pants. i just wore one pair to go home in and used the hospital gown... didnt mind ruining that,). And that's about it. Again, I think everyone will have a little different lists, based on personality and such. This time around I'm not going to pack as much clothes as I did the first time. And the one thing I'm gonna bring that I didn't the first time was a boppy pillow for breastfeeding. It just makes the placement of the baby so perfect, great for when baby is learning to latch properly. I think it's good to get ideas from other women then compile what you think would suit you. I just wouldn't go overboard!

Most of that is what I plan on taking! I've seen a lot of posts taking their own gowns to wear instead of the hospital ones, but I can't see spending money on something and ruining it when they give me one for free. I have no problem with wearing a hospital gown the entire time I am there.

Yes, I feel exactly the same way about the hospital gowns. But again, I think that's just personality, I know I have some friends who packed like a large suitcase for them, one for hubby etc. I just find I didn't NEED a ton of things... And still didn't use some of the few things I did bring. Like I said, the bleeding is not glamorous and I just preferred to stay in The hospital gown and not worry about my own clothes. The ladies from the Uk have to take a lot with them, for themselves and baby, like wipes, diapers, clothes and blankets for baby, feminine products, it's nuts. We are lucky that all of that is provided. They will even give your baby pacifier etc in our hospitals.... So my bag was not big by any means. I think UK women would faint if they saw how little I took!

I couldn't imagine having to pack so much stuff like people do in the UK! The bag I plan on using in the smallest piece of luggage that comes with my set, and I still don't think it will necessarily be full.

Wow you guys are so lucky! Our hospitals will begrudgingly give you a nappy to put on baby as soon as its born but that's about it! We take everything in. Hmmm, for comfort sake bring some slippers, hair ties, hair brush, makeup etc. anything you like that makes you more at home like your favourite shower gel. Just basically the same things you would take over night to a friends house. We have to stay in pyjamas for the whole length of our stay in hospital, I'm not sure if that's the same in the us? xx

Wow you guys are so lucky! Our hospitals will begrudgingly give you a nappy to put on baby as soon as its born but that's about it! We take everything in. Hmmm, for comfort sake bring some slippers, hair ties, hair brush, makeup etc. anything you like that makes you more at home like your favourite shower gel. Just basically the same things you would take over night to a friends house. We have to stay in pyjamas for the whole length of our stay in hospital, I'm not sure if that's the same in the us? xx

I'm in Canada, and we are allowed to stay in the hospital gown until they tell us we can go home, if we choose though, we can wear pajamas during our stay, it's all about personal preference.

It's weird here. You're shipped in and shipped out again on a conveyor belt as soon as they can possibly process you. That's the Nhs for you! It's not all bad though, they treat me a bit better as I have health problems and bringing your own stuff means lots of home comforts I suppose xxx

I like to have my own pillow and blanket with my first I stayed in the gown bet felt weird when people came by with the 2nd I wore jammies we also brought lots of movies the hospital had a dvd vcr player and bring your own bathroom stuff all they gave us was soap and towels so you need hair brush and ties the hospital clothes for baby annoyed me so I brought sleepers one onsies a few since their diapers can explode :haha: and a hat :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->