What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag

:baby:

So now your in your final trimester its time to start thinking about packing your hospital bag. Always best to be prepared.

The following suggestions are only guide and not everything will be what you require so read through the list and make your own short list before shopping.

Labour

Your birth plan
Maternity notes (don't forget them)
Nightdress
Dressing gown/robe
Slippers
Socks
Underwear
Massage oil
Lip balm
Tens machines
Hard sweets/snacks/drinks/magazines
Water spray/Cooling spray
Handheld fan
mp3 player/ipod

Your Partners Bag

2 T.shirts
fresh socks & pants
Toiletries bag
Hand towel
Camera (+ new battery if digital)
PSP
mp3 player/ipod
PLENTY of change in a money bag for drinks machines etc
Snacks/drinks

After Birth

Toiletries bag
Hand towel
Fresh Pajamas/Nightdresses
Socks
Breast pads
Nursing bras
Loose underwear/disposable knickers
Maternity pads
Fresh clothes for going home
Numbers on a seperate piece of paper incase of mobile problems
Spare loose change
Ear plugs
Anti-bacterial travel sized gel

For Your Baby

Car seat
2/3 baby vests
2/3 baby grows
Crib toy/gift from Mummy & Daddy
Blanket
Nappies
Wipes
Cotton wall buds
Nappy bags
Anti-bacterial travel sized gel
Something fresh for trip home
Socks or Booties
Hat
cardi/coat/Snowsuit depending on time of year

Please reply to this thread to discuss or if you have a suggestion to add.

:D

maybe..ur own pillow...its not nessesary but it makes you feel a little at home...more comfortable

Plastic bags, for dirty clothing. I know it's obvious but still I think it's a good idea!

maybe..ur own pillow...its not nessesary but it makes you feel a little at home...more comfortable

I'd definately reccomend your own pillow! When I was in hospital (labour) they wouldn't even give me a pillow! Not even one! Apparently they didn't have any but I was SO uncomfortable on that bed...

Next time I will definately be taking my own pillow. Good suggestion!

My mw said the most commonly forgotten item is toothpaste! Lol

Just a tip - I know they're a bit expensive.. but you could buy the mini bottles to save space in your bag (usually buy these in Boots or Superdrug) or buy some empty mini plastic bottles and take those with your fave shower gel in.

Make up - it helped me feel less rough after the birth. I just took a couple of basics, mascare, eyeliner and a bit of lip gloss and powder.

Cleaning spray - I got a spray that kills MRSA etc and was spraying it like a mad woman. Can't be too sure lol.

Ready made milk maybe? don't know if they give you the milk there ..

Bibs

Maybe a different size of babygro/vest. Jessica was over 10lbs and went straight into 0-3 stuff so all my newborn stuff I packed for her was wasted :cry:
Luckily I was told to expect a bigger baby and went prepared :)
And some scratch mitts
xXx

Plastic bags, for dirty clothing. I know it's obvious but still I think it's a good idea!

I used nappy bags to put my dirty undies etc in!!

And toiletries, the mini's deffo took up less room, you can get the in superdrug from 50p each so theyre a lot more expensive :)

hairbands, cottom wool,

NAPPIES!!!!!!(UNLIKE MY HOSPITAL I HAVE TO PROVIDE MY OWN)

nipple cream if going to breast feed, massage oils if wanted in labour, toothbrush, towels, disposable nickers, antibacterial wipes for the bathroom :D

Take something like a book or some magazines for afterwards - I was in just one night, but was unable to sleep due to the ward being so hot & noisy & really wish I'd had something to keep me occupied.
Also some snacks for afterwards too - I got to the ward after dinner time, and so was not given a meal from the time I got there (just before 7pm) to the next morning (8am)!!!

I dont know about anyone else but Im having trouble fitting everything into 2 bags! I have a big holdall for all my stuff and a seperate changing bag full of babys stuff....running out of space!!!
They are gonna think im moving in when I land:rofl:

I got a really good pregnancy/weekend bag from Boots, I think they still sell it (I bought it online). It's black and neat looking, it has pockets and a mesh part and some little clips to hold your clothes in and keep everything neat. I got it because I knew we'd want a bag afterwards for going to stay at my mums etc, we still use it now and it's good quality.

Can't find my exact one, but I think this might be it.. can't tell as no pic.. doh

https://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/st...95&callingViewName=&langId=-1&catalogId=10551

lmao i got a big handbag with all my bits and a few bits for baby as i only live 5 mins away from the hospital , my other half can bring the rest up or get some one to bring babys bag up lol

Knowing me ill end up bringing both bags up looking like im ready to move in there lool

What about a card and gift for the midwife, mine was fab when I had my daughter staying well beyond her shift time just so that I had continuity. My hubby had to dash out and get a thank you card and some chocs just before I left. I'll take something with me this time.

Ive packed mine :happydance:

Only to get a small pressie for my son from the baby so he doesnt feel left out

Something a friend of mine suggested was a journal to keep track of everything going on as she doesnt remember much from the labour, so to have something to look back on and read about what you were feeling, when you got meds, etc might be nice later on in life.

Camera :D Lots of room on your card for lots of pictures! Batteries :D
Nipple cream helped me. My 1st baby my boobs were sore the next day.

Contact lenses or spare glasses (if you need them) When i had my son i went into hospital in the middle of the night without either and i didn't get a decent look at my baby till OH had beem home and come back and by that time my son was 15 hours old. So, i have spare lenses on my hospital bag list this time lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->