What to wear during labour...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Savannah11, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Savannah11

Savannah11 Love my boys xxx

im trying to figure out what would be best to wear so that it can be easily 'opened' so i can have skin to skin but something that would still cover my modesty...

im thinking like a button up nighty? anywhere i can find one of those?
    xx

2. Gen79

Gen79 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this too. Honestly, I might just go to a charity shop for a couple XXL mens button down shirts.

3. Mum2MJ

Mum2MJ Well-Known Member

Sod modesty, ;) it was sooo hot in the room at the birthing centre I was in and I found clothes restrictive so I stripped off butt naked within 1/2hour of getting there, lol!

4. KeirasMummy.

KeirasMummy. Expecting A Little Girl

Im gonna go for a button up pj top or something, am hoping for a water birth tho so if im able to get a pool il be wearing a bikini top when baby is passed to me :) still need to get these things tho!

5. vaileasmama

vaileasmama Well-Known Member

i wore a super old house dress kinda thing... but by the time babe was ready to come out, i was somehow in a hospital gown (i honestly dont remember getting changed!) that tied up at the back - just before she came out my midwife undid the tie at the neck and pulled it down so babe was pulled out and placed straight on the boobs! (and has barely left since lol)
    will your hospital put u in a gown?

6. happybeany

happybeany Well-Known Member

I was wondering if we had to wear hospital gowns.. I was planning on wearing one of those support vest tops (I have k-cup boobs.. I can't go without the support!!!!) and whipping it off for skin-skin (and for the most while a pair of boxers..) will they let me?! Eek xx

7. moma

moma Well-Known Member

i never thought bout this ?? i got a nightie no buttons, but would think end up in gown towards the end anyway

8. Hayles

Hayles Well-Known Member

I think by the time it comes to the skin to skin bit you won't really care about modesty, most will have seen everything anyway!! I just wore a regular nighty and I think they just lifted it up and put baby on me

9. N1kki

N1kki Guest

starppy nighty so your chest area is still skin,i'm gona wear a strappy nighty and a thin dressing gown.I've sworn down i'm not gona wear socks i just think its weird for some silly reason LOL

10. jollymum

jollymum Well-Known Member

I was just gonna head to Primark and get something long, lightweight and very unflattering - will def look to see if they have any button up nighties. In fact, I think my gran has something very similar...

11. 2245db01

2245db01 Megan and Kaydons mummy

i got a button down nightie from primark and some pjs with button tops so easy to open to bf but i never wore the nightie during labour as didnt have time to change to ended up wearing what id gone to hospital in but it is sooooo hot in the rooms so dont wear somethin too thick x

12. 323laura

323laura Well-Known Member

im so baffled by what to wear. ive been watching one born every minute looking for ideas lol

im going to have to sort something out soon, only problem i have is that you cant get cheap things to just throw away in my size :( even ebay has failed me

13. vitriolic_vix

vitriolic_vix Mother of 1

:shrug: bra or bra-less under my nightie???? :shrug:

14. vbaby3

vbaby3 Well-Known Member

I bought a button down nightie for the labour,just a cheap 1 coz it will end up in the bin.
    But i think with both my sons births they just pulled it up past my chest and put baby on my chest.
    I was bra less for my 1st,I think I had to take it off when getting my epidural.
    With my2nd I didn't get an epidural,but things moved very fast so I still had my bra on.
    I think they pulled up my nightie and put him on my chest,and after a few mins I just opened my bra and pulled it up out of the way too!

15. AmeliePoulain

AmeliePoulain Mama to 3 girls

I wore a very cheap button down t-shirt style nighty - but I ended up naked and really didnt care, modesty sort of goes out the window :blush:

16. chelseaharvey

chelseaharvey Well-Known Member

I know Primark do button up nighties

I went in & bought a normal nightie yesterday, there not that nice LOL i have not worn a nightie since i was a little girl, im a PJ kind of girl but know i need a nightie for when in labour

17. faun

faun Mum to 2 boys and 1 girl

All 3 of mine i have ended up giving birth naked as i get so hot and sweaty and feel so trapped in sweaty shirts or t-shirts. No one cares as they have seen it all before so wear what makes you comfy and if your not comfy take it off or just wear a bikini top.

18. MrsH1980

MrsH1980 Mummy to Myka

I ummed and arrred about this for ages but I decided I am just going to wear a crappy old stappy nightie; it seems that most gals end up in either just a vest or top or nothing at all - I considered buying even a cheapo nightie and then I thought whats the point? Its almost guaranteed to end up in the bin! At least I know its stretchy and comfy.

xx

19. onedaybaby

onedaybaby Mum of 1 and TTC no2

I've been wondering this.

I will be at home so for most of the time as anyone in early labour I will just wear some comfy clothes like joggy bottoms and a stretchy top that I always wear.

When labour is more established I was probably going to strip off if the house is warm enough, or just a vest top and lighter pyjama bottoms. For getting in the birth pool I was going to wear some bikini bottoms (they are big pant style) to preserve modesty for a little while down there (but nothing on top) as I heard you tend to pop in and out the pool a lot to run upstairs for toilet trips.

You can wear knickers right before the baby is literally on its way?

20. freja

freja Well-Known Member

What size are you? I was a size 20/22 pre-pregnancy and now more a 24. But due to my shape (bottom heavy) I can get away with some nighties from primark and peacocks - also because they stretch. I've just bought a couple of button down nighties from each in size 20 and xl if I remember correctly (all packed away at the mo!) and they were a good fit on me, and I've got a HUGE bump! Everyone keeps asking if I'm having twins! Which I'm not! It's getting irritating now! lol :) Rant over :)