what type of savings (if any) do you have?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by MummyMummy, Apr 14, 2009.

1. MummyMummy

MummyMummy Well-Known Member

we have premium bonds. we have them because 1 win ayear would earn more interest than a savings account would after tax has been deducted. plus it's not so easy to draw them out,so gives us achance to really think if we want to spend/buy what we were originally going to withdraw for, but should we decide to withdraw you don't loose anything like you may if you withdraw from a long term savings plan.

what about you?
    do you have the recomended 3months wages saved that is advised?

we deffinitly deffinitly don't :lol:
    xXx

2. Chel

Chel Well-Known Member

I have three bank accounts all linked to one another on the net.

One is my daily account.

One is my savings so I cant spend all my money for the fortnight in the first couple of days - I only have as much in my daily account which is connected to my keycard as I'm allowed to spend on that day.

One is my longer term savings account, which is also an emergency cash account, which has about $6000 in it.

I think I want a fourth account for saving for holidays and clothes shopping and stuff.

3. babezone

babezone Well-Known Member

haha savings!! wats that!

lol all i have is 500 odd in another bank accountfor my hoiliday fund lol xx

4. avabear73

avabear73 Mum to Finlay

We've just started saving, and have Cash Isas. We just put in whatever we can afford -but it's early days yet. We're trying to build up an emergency fund as well as a holiday fund.

It will take time to get 3 month's salary in it, probably 18 months or maybe longer ... but it will be a nice cushion to have, incase anything untoward should happen - car problems, appliances needing replaced etc.

5. Michy

Michy Mum and Preggo

We saved 6 months worth of wages before ttc just in case, haven't used any of it yet but might have to dip into it before the end of my maternity leave to help us pay the mortgage!

6. aimee-lou

aimee-lou Totally Outnumbered!!

Wish we did have savings! But debts have to be paid off first. Leaves us a little vulnerable but we're getting there. Paid £6k off last year! :happydance: Should be paid off completely in 2 years! :happydance::cloud9: Will be so pleased when we get there! And then we can start saving! :happydance:

7. Linzi

Linzi Prodest mummy ever

I have a savings account with ING Direct and its brill :)

xxx

8. MummyMummy

why do you say it's 'brill'? never heard of ing!

xXx

9. Linzi

Linzi Prodest mummy ever

Ive been with them for years. Its realy easy to transfer money in and out of and the interest rate is pretty good. Ive got quite a lot sitting in there now and not planning on moving it!

Bonds are ok but Ive always been a bit wary of them. Id rather know I was getting something back on my money than risk maybe not getting anything iykwim?

xxx

10. MummyMummy

yeah, there is that risk although me and ex won several hundred pound in a year, we had around 4-6 thou in so not too much! :D

xXx