What was the first meal you gave your baby? Blw

Zfbaby

Reaction score
I have some questions about baby led weaning.
My baby is almost 25 weeks old he has had some food already whilst on holiday in France. He has had some cucumber tomatoes melon and French bread but it wasn't really a meal I just offered him a couple of bits of whatever was on my plate.
Now that we are home I would really like to start baby led weaning properly I've seen a list of finger food ideas but was wondering what was best to start with.

What was the first meal you ever gave your baby and do you have any tips, advice or mistakes to share?

Also,
How many different fruits or vegetables did you offer at one mealnto start with?

how many fingers of each fruit or vegetable did you give them?

Did you offer water with their food?

Is it ok to cook something the night before and then cook it and give it to lo warm the next day? I'm planning on making roast chicken with roasted root veg for dh and I tomorrow night and thought maybe lo could have some of the veg for lunch the next day. Is that ok or should all food be cold?

I started off with purees (probably for 3 weeks) then BLW

first meal was toast slices and banana and broccoli

I offer 1 starchy thing like toast or rice cakes, 1 fruit (he's not keen on fruit and 1 veg and then some other things. like I have been giving him tofu.

I give him his cup with water but he's not quite mastered it and he's not that keen I think on the taste of water.

I think it's OK to cook the day before.

Some things I give my baby:

Parsnips, quartered lengthways and steamed
Butternut squashed cut in strips and steamed
broccoli, steamed
cucumber, i take the skin and pips out
tofu, air fried
toast
pears or apples cut in quarters, steamed

... i have tried loads more but those are the ones I can think of right now

Give what you eat, how you eat it. If you're eating three lots of veg, give that. If only one, just give one. I just gave maybe 4-5 pieces of anything at first and gave more if it was eaten. I don't think there's a need to turn everything into sticks though, if you're having carrots just sliced into rounds, they will be fine.

If you want to reheat food that's okay, just make sure it is stored safely and reheated properly then cooled down enough so it won't burn LO. At first, I used to put a plate in the freezer while I made dinner then put the hot food straight onto that and it cooled it to a good temperature without having to wait long. I have always given food to LO when it was 'hot' (probably warm to an adult) but not hot enough to burn and given a warning. It's always worked well.

My first LO's first proper meal was a snacky lunch I think. I'm pretty sure there were pieces of cheese, cucumber, grapes (cut in half), sliced tomatoes, possibly some rice cakes with soft cheese, some salad leaves etc... basically just what I was having for lunch anyway. My second LO's first meal was spaghetti bolognese, served exactly as the rest of us were eating it (spaghetti snapped in half before cooking!). LO managed really well - don't forget that babies can dip their hands into stuff and lick it off their fingers, not everything has to be 'finger food'.

If LO is BF, you don't need to offer water really, just let him feed on demand in case he needs a drink. If FF, you might want to leave water out for him. By about 8 months, I was also giving water to my BF baby but I made sure it was cold and in a cup/beaker so it couldn't be confused with milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->