What was your 2nd birth like? bigger baby? TTC#2

emsieb

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently TTC baby number 2! Baby number one is now 8 years old and a gorgeous boy who is my whole world.

I was quite big with my son and stretched alot...so my body has never recoverd from this. Thankfully this was counterbalanced by a very smooth birth.

I was booked in for induction after having small bleeds for a month, I went in 4 days before due date and was told I was already 3cm dilated...news to me, hadn't had a pain. I slept in hospital over night, and went down for induction the next morning. I got down and was told I was 4cm and so they broke my waters for me and let me go for a shower and things. This was around 9am, by 10am I was showerd and clean and rang my partner and mum to come to the hospital, went back to labour ward and was put on a drip to help, mum and partner arrived by 11 and my first pain shot through me ...ouch...by 12 I was in labour and then 2hrs 33min later my 8lb 5oz son arrived into this world, gorgeously perfect in every way, a stich inside and we were put onto the ward. I can't moan about it, i had it easy everything went fine and i had a nice sized baby to boot.

Now TTC number two already I am wondering what the birth of a 2nd child is like and would like others to share their experience. Were they quicker? was the baby bigger? Would a big gap between babies mean It'd be like having the first again, anything anyone can tell me greatfully received :)

I'm about to have baby number 2 so definately curious about the same things..Except my age gap is 2 years not 8 :)

My mum though..Had me I was 8lb4 (my little boy was the exact same weight)..My sister 2 years later was 6lb8 and literally fell out of her as she was getting onto the hospital bed for an epidural and the midwife caught baby lol :rofl:..And my brother 8 years after that was 8lb5..I think it's different for everyone but I'm sure hoping my second birth is like my mums second :rofl:

For me second baby was bigger (1st was 9lb born at term, 2nd 10lb born at 38 weeks). I did find the second labour easier as I think you know more what to expect. It was quicker too, 1st was just under 5 hours, 2nd just under 4.

I had around 5 years between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 and 6 years between 3 and 4.

2nd birth for me was like a walk in the park never felt so easy in all my life..
baby 1 was an assisted birth with a vontuse..10lb 13 and 2hour 40 mins in labour
baby 2 was like shelling a pea..i got to hospital at 4.12am and by 4.30 his dad was holding him.. 18 min labour i didnt wanna hang about as my contractions come all at once soon as my waters went at 4am they come in 1 go.. he was born at 4.30am 9lb13 so a little lighter than my first born..thats because arley(baby1) is built like his dad and kody(baby 2 ) is very skinny like his mom used to be he can eat and eat and never puts weight on..
baby 3 (jayden) c section birth 11lb 8 and stoped my walkin at 34 weeks as he was that heavy and lien on the 1 leg

ds2 was bigger by a few ounces, and his labor was a few hours shorter. Recovery was amazing with ds2 and crappy with ds1.

my second son was induced at 37 weeks due to his size and my spd, 4 hours labor with an epidural as Id never felt pain like it lol not even with my first,
he weighed in at 9lb6!!! god knows what hed have weighed if he went to 40 weeks.

recovery was easier than with first ds

hasnt put me off lol

I'm currently pregnant with my 2nd baby, and I was keen to know the answers to your questions too! I asked my midwife who said if you had a 'straight forward' birth first time round, it's likely the 2nd labour will be the same and much shorter as all internal muscles are more flexible and supple. Also said I'd be more in tune with my body and by being like this the 'fear factor' of not knowing what's happening helps you go with the flow adding to an easier birth experience. She said she loves 2nd tine mum labours! I'm sure she's right xxx

i am pregnant with my third, ten years after my first (though still only 30, i sound anchient! :) )

my first was 9lb8 and my second 10 lb 2, but second labour definately more managable, i wouldnt say less painful but i definately had less fear and knew i could do it. I had epidural with my first but determined not too my second time i managed with gas and air which made the after birth experience so much better.

i am hoping this time too be even more relaxed, i am nervous of the pain but definately think coping is partly a mind thing...

...though i am saying this at 10 weeks pregnant not in secong stage labour :) and definately hoping this baby isnt even bigger :haha:

my 1st daughter was born 41 weeks at 8lb10oz and labour and birth were a breeze as she was long and thin. i was 17 (just)
my second daughter born 15months later at 40w1d she was 9lb and the labour and birth were horrible, she was short and fat!:growlmad:
Fat babies are not good when you have little size 8 hips!!

I am now preg again and with it being over 7 yrs ago that i had my youngest i wondered the same as the OP, will it be like a 1st time as it was so long ago that everything was stretched before? would be interesting to hear from people who have given birth after a big gap.

xxx

my second baby was 4 oz bigger than my first so not much difference, however my first labout was 18 hours and my second was only 6 and tbh the second one hurt way more than the first, was much more intense iukwim xx

my second baby was exactly one pound lighter than my first (1st 9lb 6oz and second 8lb 6oz) The birth was much easier though. First was a 18 hour labour that ended in an episiotomy and ventouse delivery. Second was a 5 hour labour and normal delivery, slight tear and stitches.

For me the second birth once it got established (which took ages, was very painful and hellish) was a lot easier than my first. MY first was 9lbs 7 which was a big surprise but my second DS was only 8lbs 14 and even though it was only a few pounds difference it really helped. I actually remembered focusing on pushing him out and being amazed at the feeling because despite having an epidural I could feel it all just without pain. I wouldn't worry, you will do great.

My first child is eight and he was a quick and easy labour an delivery. He weighed 8lbs 3 ounces. My second was a quick an easy labour and delivery as well. 2 hours each and they were out. They are four years apart. My second child only weighed 6lbs 11 ounces though. So he was quite a bit smaller than my first child.

My first (now 3) was about 3 and a half hour labour, from waking up in night to find waters had gone until she was in my arms. She was 8lb and born at 39 weeks.

Second was born at 37 weeks, weighed 8lb 8oz, and from first contraction to him being with us (waters broke as he was born) was 1 hr 20 mins.

Second birth would have been much easier, but the hospital was a long drive and my body was trying to push long before I got there, which was really stressful. Recovery after the second baby was miles faster, I couldn't believe how easy to was to walk compared to the first one! The only thing that I found worse was the after pains when starting to breastfeed, and they were so strong that I needed gas and air for those.

Welly x

The age gab between my 2 is only 10 months so a big difference. I was induced with both at 38 weeks due to PE. First baby, I was 2cm's waters broke, given the drip, 5 hours 37 mins active labour, failed vontouse delivery but successful forcept delivery.

2nd baby, 4cms dilated, waters were broken (but they really werent, I questioned this) so they put me on a drip cause nothing was happening, then when nothing was progressing still the lady realised my waters werent even broken, as soon as they were Daisy was born... active labour just 40 minutes! Fantastic birth and just G&A, so 2nd labour was definately quicker and easier :) x

ETA Baby 1 was 6lb 15oz and baby 2 was 7lb 6oz x

my first was 8lb 2oz and a 4 hours labour, painless labour, painful pushing, 2nd was 7lb 2oz, 3 hour labour, painful contractions but 1 easy push, 16months apart, both born around 37 weeks, hoping for a quick labour this time to

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->