What week for a growth scan?

mons75

Reaction score
What week for a growth scan is best to best estimate the baby's size? I was going to book one private for 37 weeks, now I'm thinking 38. But then I'm thinking if it measures massive maybe 38 is a bit late if they were to schedule a C section because of the resulting size...

Doing this as I dont believe in the tapemeasure method and I feel its a chunk in there, I want to know.

not sure hun but i think 37 is probably best i had one at 35 and they told me that he is already measuring big ( with a big head - nice huh?? lol) and that if he continues to grow at the rate he is now im expecting 7 to 7 and half pounds. remember that they can only give you an estimate as its difficult to say. hth xx

I think in y hospital they like to do growth scans at 36 weeks. I don't know the reasoning behind it.

thanks nikkip!!!!

I know only an estimate. I hope he doesn't get too pissed off, he does when the listen to the heart, kicks like a ninja on speed.

I'll book for 37+ 3 if they have that and then I have the results for my 38 week appt, seems like good planning...

I looked online, head circumf seems to be normal around 35cm, so I took out a tapemeasure and had alook at a 35cm circle, oh dear. Also looked at a 38cm circle. This was not fun. EEeeeeek!

I was sent for a growth scan (I was told they were going to do one from about 24 weeks) but they said they had to wait until I was 36 weeks. Had it last week and she was measuring 8 pounds 6 already!! With another 4 weeks to go, I think she might be huuuuge! But I think the dates are wrong anyway!

I was sent for a growth scan (I was told they were going to do one from about 24 weeks) but they said they had to wait until I was 36 weeks. Had it last week and she was measuring 8 pounds 6 already!! With another 4 weeks to go, I think she might be huuuuge! But I think the dates are wrong anyway!

Blimey! Wowsers.... Hopefully the dates are wrong then. :thumbup:
:kiss:

I got mine at 36 weeks.. You mab need to take in account that u could be 2 weeks early! xx

Yeah, we originally thought we conceived in September but they said it was October (which is near enough impossible because I was away for most of that month) so I'm hoping I'm now 41 weeks not 38+2!!

not sure hun but i think 37 is probably best i had one at 35 and they told me that he is already measuring big ( with a big head - nice huh?? lol) and that if he continues to grow at the rate he is now im expecting 7 to 7 and half pounds. remember that they can only give you an estimate as its difficult to say. hth xx

Isn't 7 - 7.5 small to average? I've not got a hope in hell's chance of having a baby under 8lb bearing in mind me, my siblings, DH and bro were all between 8.5 & 9.5lbs!

x

Rapberry, try 10.5 and 11.5... eeeek.... I now it doesent mean I'll have em big too but it certainly increases the risk in my mind! Aj aj aj...

Just being nosey :D. Will they automatically schedule you for a C-section if the baby is a bit big?

I have no experience myself with babies, really wondering about this!

Just being nosey :D. Will they automatically schedule you for a C-section if the baby is a bit big?

I have no experience myself with babies, really wondering about this!

Hi, no they wont. They are strict on this and dont even really listen to my concerns altho my mum had massive ones. They just faff a bit with the tape measure and say bye bye. My friend measured spot on and had a 5.1kg baby so there goes that technique.

They say if the baby is over 4.5kg they can sometimes offer a C section. :flower:

i'm having growth scans at the hosp every 4 weeks, next one due on monday, and as i am being induced the following monday i will hopefully get a clear picture of what kind of size we are looking at, they do think this one is on the bigger side, just creeping over the top line on my growth chart! looking to be around 8.8lbs at induction (38weeks).
This will be my biggest yet (4th).
Biggest i had so far was 7lb 13oz, but my little girl i was was told would also be huge, around 9lb they said, this was the nhs scans and all the private ones i had, i had a babybond scan at 36weeks and was told she was still big, but she was born at 38 +5 weighing 6lb 8oz, much smaller than i expected.
So i really dont hold much to the size they predict, although i do know they can be right, and this one does feel bigger, but we will see, but i take all the measuring with a pinch of salt, at the end of the day what will be will be, and amazingly your body just deals with it...................

I have one a week tomorrow so I will be 35 weeks, with my son it was booked for 36 weeks but that was a different hosp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->