What would you do? Kids School

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by rachjim98, Apr 6, 2009.

1. rachjim98

rachjim98 I love my Family!!

OK so we live in the states and the school systems may be different I am not sure.
    The 1st of March we had 2 snow days where the kids didn't go to school.

They have to make them up which I do not have a problem with. I was thinking they would add them on to the end of the school year before summer vaction.
    Oh no they sent home a notice saying. They will be going to school on Friday April 10th (which is GOOD FRIDAY) a holiday, and Saturday for half a day.

I just do not understand how they can make you send your kids to school on a Holiday or a weekend to make up snow days they had no control over! So if I do not send my children to school these days they will be considered a unexcused absents.

Whats your opions on this?

2. tasha41

tasha41 Mum & Dad + 1

That's BS, what if you had religious obligations on the Friday (for Good Friday) or on the Saturday (Jewish Sabbath). I went to Catholic school so that would obviously never be an issue (school on Good Friday.. or Holy Saturday! lol).. but the weekend thing.. uck! TBH I wouldn't send my kids to school those days either, can't you just call into school and sign them out? Or what's an unexcused absence? Those didn't start until high school for us here.

3. alice&bump

alice&bump mummy to katie

i'd tell them to stick their two days! they cant make tthem go into school on religious days!! well they cant here i dont think!! why dont you ring the school and see?

4. rachjim98

A unexcused is just that (not having a excuse). They do not have a reason other then just not going. They are allowed 6 unexcused in a grading period (9 weeks) then you need a Dr's note if they miss more then that. So if I dont send them then that will be 2 days right there for this 9 weeks that just started. So I will be hoping the dont fall ill. I am just amazed.

My DH sent a email to the county school commissioner (head of the school for our area) and let him know how we felt about the whole situation. He thanked us for our concerns and that was that:dohh:.

5. rachjim98

BTW, we are not sending them, I just wanted your opinions on the issue. I have just never heard of such craziness. We moved here from Florida and we do not get snow in Florida but we do get hurricanes and if they missed school for that, the school just added the amount on the end of the year. This place is nuts!

6. nikky0907

nikky0907 Well-Known Member

Thats just wrong!
    They would always add up on the end of the school year for us whatever we lost... I've never heard of adding on Spring break (though I went to a Christian school)?
    Good Friday and Holy Saturday are religiously and family oriented and they can't make someone go to school for that! Is there a way they can just write them a permission slip?

7. MaryJ

MaryJ Mom of 1 soon to be 2!

For us we had been given a half day for prom and they turned that into a full day. I think they did that to a couple of other unimportant half days to keep us from having to stay extra days at the end. I remember everybody liking that arrangement. I would never send my kids on their spring break days.

8. rachjim98

We will be sending in a note, and a copy of the email my DH just sent me. The Commissioner just sent us back another email letting us know he is speaking with the school and this will not count against our children. But we had to give him there names and what grades. So if we didn't complain they would of counted against them. I still just blown away by the way they think it is OK.

9. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

I'm just a bit shocked that they would just add a couple of extra days to make up for the ones lost! That certainly doesn't happen here. The kids all had a week off school because of the snow this winter and if the schools tried to make them stay an extra week over the holidays there would be uproar!