What would you do? Mat leave, opinions wanted.

MnGmakes3

Pregnant with #1
Reaction score
So I work in a high physical activity job where I'm on my feet 99% of the day. I work per diem (meaning no work =no pay that day/week,etc). I'm not scheduled to go on mat leave until Oct 5th (only 5 Days from my DD :dohh:) and I'd have to come back Jan 5th (so I get 3 months).

I've been lucky so far working with*mostly* understanding people who know my limits. I have major SPD, walking hurts to the point I want to cry and I'm getting more swollen every day. I've already cut down my hours by halfish, but even most days are a struggle to get up and move.

If I start my leave early I run the risk of losing time (and money) with baby girl once she does arrive. What would you girls do? Take an early leave due to the pain and miss out on 1 holiday or stick it out the last 3 weeks?

that's tough I would want more time with my baby but at the same time I know how hard it is to work in pain. Is there a general medical leave u can apply for that would cover a couple weeks before baby without dipping into the time u will have with her? That's wat I did I was off 9 days before I had baby n it doesn't count towards my 3 months

Unfortunately not. Being per diem I receive no benefits. I do quality for fmla for 6 weeks but that's also unpaid like the disability leave.

Hi, sorry you're going thru this.
Not sure on the rules where you are but in UK we are lucky in that they have to adapt our working conditions for the health and safety of mum and babe. If you go off sick after 36w they start you leave but before then they can't touch you! Are you in a Union or is there an independent agency you can ask for advice?
Xx

Hi, sorry you're going thru this.
Not sure on the rules where you are but in UK we are lucky in that they have to adapt our working conditions for the health and safety of mum and babe. If you go off sick after 36w they start you leave but before then they can't touch you! Are you in a Union or is there an independent agency you can ask for advice?
Xx
No union or agency. It's more of a personal decision really and I'm not sure what I want to do at this point.
I know the pain will all go away once she gets here, it's just a matter of do I want to waste 3ish weeks at home, unpaid, and hope she arrives on time.

Definitely understand I would wait it out so u have more time w her

In my first pregnancy I worked up until 38 weeks I think it was, then ended it. In the end, I wished I had worked longer for money reasons, but also because sitting at home all day while my husband was at work all day and I had no baby or anything to entertain me was extra boring. :haha:

I say tough it out for the last few weeks - you'll be grateful you did when you get the extra couple of weeks with your baby. With any luck, you'll deliver at like 38 weeks :hugs:

I'd say stick it out if you can, Ive just left work at 37 weeks and it was hard going. Totally know how you feel with the swollen feet and Spd.

Just try and get away with doing as little as possible and think of the time with your baby at the end.
Can you sit down when not busy.. I think your work should provide you with a chair?

My thoughts would be try your hardest to last as long as you can. I lasted til 38 weeks with my first and then she arrived at 42 weeks and when she arrived I was gutted to have in effect missed a month of time I could have spent with her l. Add to that your short period of mat leave and I think you'll feel internally grateful if you can hold out as long as poss. That said, you should not beat yourself up if you don't put off starting mat leave as long as you hope because pregnancy is tough and you have added pain and strains or work

I understand and I would agree with the other ladies and say stick it out as long as you can but if it does really get to that point you can't do it anymore then call it a day as I know you want to spend as much as time with your baby but making yourself ill and miserable is not doing you or your baby any good
Do what's best for you, hope everything works out

Thanks girls. I'm gong to try to stick it out but will leave earlier if I really really need to.

I would maybe try to go for 1 more week if you can and then take your leave, it will work out!

My plan is to work as long as I can, even if that means sucking up my pride and asking for help when I need it and having coworkers pick up my slack.. Any possibility of getting some restrictions or doing light duty type work? I know with SPD it pretty much hurts to do anything but it might help to have a drs note stating you cant lift more than say 15lbs or stay on your feet for more than an hr without a small break. Or maybe there's some sedentary work you can do for the last few weeks? Maybe some data entry or filing paperwork type stuff?

You have to do what is best for you and what you can handle. I am a teacher so on my feet a lot as well. although I work full time I am considered part time in the position I have. I work with small groups of students and spend much of the day walking around the building. I have SPD as well. It has been horrible. I thought about going on leave early. I did force myself to work through though. My last day was yesterday. I am being induced this week. It was really tough but I needed to make as much money as I could before I go on leave and didn't want to lose an time after the baby is here. I did make it but it was torture. I pretty much worked and came home and laid on the bed every night and say around with feet up on weekends. You just have to do what is best for you. If you can make it I would tough it out but if it's really horrible you might have to take leave alittle earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->