What would you do? Possible varicocele / male infertility

zinnia86

Reaction score
Hi.. So, we've been actively ttc for 6 months. I know that's not very long in the grand scheme, but we've been doing pretty much everything we can to get pregnant. I think we're in the 10-25% range of couples now with no fertility issues.

I have tracked my cycles a few times so I know I ovulate and my cycles seem regular enough.. So,

I've been looking for reasons I might not be pregnant and I read about varicocele. DH is pretty sure he has this. I've been worried that maybe he has a low sperm count. Also, as a side note, he's 36 and sits at a computer all day.

I thought at around 6 months we'd have him get a sperm analysis. Turns out this process is more aggravating than I thought. The clinics we've called want me to be the primary patient so it's more complicated than I want it to be at this point. I really just want him to get the analysis and go from there. They were saying we'd have to meet with a financial consultant and do exams and tests on me and everything. Its only 6 months though and we don't even know if anything is wrong!

So he called a lab and they want to charge I think $360. I've googled and never seen a price this high for sperm analysis. It would probably be cheaper if we go through a doctor and insurance but again, that's kind of making it into more of a process.

I guess I'm just assuming everything is fine with me. But I'm not opposed to getting checked out. I just think if everything is ok with him, I'd just give it longer before we consider other options. At the same time, I don't want to pay almost $400 and then figure out on our own what to do if the numbers are not good.

So then I'm thinking.. Maybe we should just wait a few more months. But if there is something wrong with him, what are our options? Has anyone been through something similar (varicocele)? Is it better to find out now and start something new now and not waste time?

Also, he's been taking fertilaid for about 3 months.

Thank you for any advice! I'm trying not to over think/complicate this, but I have.

Firstly - how old are you? I presume from your username that you're under 35? If so, you could be totally healthy and it still take you up to a year to conceive (you know this already though).

I think that it's definitely worth getting a sperm analysis done: no point in wasting time.

Have you tried your OB/gynae? They might be able to get a test done easily and cheaply....

Have you been talking to the doctors at the clinics or just the receptionist? From what I know of IVF/infertility treatment, a good doctor will want to go the least invasive route possible and running a SA is just that. So you might be pleasantly surprised at what happens when you actually get into the process.

I'm 27 and he's 36. We've switched insurance so we don't have doctors. The closest infertility clinic type place has bad reviews for the main doctor, but easily gave us an appt (but said I'd need an exam). Another further away place with good reviews was kind of jerky (receptionist) and said wed need to meet with a financial consultant/etc. and so maybe we should go somewhere else if we just want a SA. So that just makes our decision more confusing and frustrating.

I think I might try to call the close place tomorrow and ask if they can just test him.. But otherwise I'm back to being unsure of what to do.

I'd go to a gyn but I think they'd just refer us to a fertility clinic. I think we called all the ones we know that take our insurance but I can try again.

My DH has a varicocele and low morphology. We got on the wait list for the fertility clinic, but got our BFP naturally after 7 months trying!

When we finally got a call from the clinic for a consultation, DS was 2 months old!

It will happen. Good luck.:flower:

Thanks pink :) did your husband get a SA prior? What was the process like for him to get that

Yes, he did two SAs. He had to make the sample at home and then drop it off at a clinic within an hour. Not fun, but easier than the tests they do on women!

My OH has a lows perm count, that's what he was told three years ago but we conceived on our second cycle with our previous pregnancy. Don't lose hope fx crossed for you. Xx

I just called my obgyn bc we have been trying almost a year (June). i just asked for through rn that works with my obgyn. i explained to the rn that we had been trying and only had one possible hpt with an early mc. since then nothing and i was just looking for any ideas or leads to help us be better prepared for an infertility appt. the rn talked with my doctor and then called me back told me to make sure i was tracking my menstrual cycles and use some type of opks. i have been doing both so then the rn said that if my dh is willing the next thing my doctor likes is for him to do a SA which is what we both want. so now tomorrow i will call the office and set up a time. i am also going to ask if there is any blood test or ultrasound i can do too.

i guess my sugesstion is go to an gyn get a physical and then tell them you have been trying for so many months and wondering if he could be checked.

Some docs won't do tests unless you have been trying for a year (or say you've been... :haha:)

My doc was willing to do the SA straight away since it isn't invasive, but she didn't want to do tests on me until a year.

So Pink, you just went to a regular doctor to get him the test? That's kind of what I was wondering. We tried to go straight to a fertility clinic and maybe we shouldn't.

Our GP ordered the SA (actually 2). Then based on the results, we were referred to the infertility clinic. This was in Canada, under the public system (hence the long wait time for the infertility clinic).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->