What would you do?

louise85

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I know none of you can make the decision for me but I just wondered what you would do in a similar situation.

I was referred for a detailed scan after babies nuchal measurement was above 3mm. The detailed scan showed a measurement of 2.8mm. No other markers were seen, nasal bone was present, heart looked fine etc. I was given a risk for downs syndrome of 1:89 so I decided to have bloods took. The results of my bloods and scan combined 1:270.

I've now been told I'm now low risk, but obviously I'm still worried.

I have a 2nd detailed scan booked for 4th Jan were I can also make the decision to have amnio if I wish.

What would you ladies do in my situation? Is 1:270 a good ratio do you think?

I'm really confused. And FOB doesn't care so I can't even get his input as he won't speak to me.

Thank you in advance.

oh darling....i think this is one of those questions that would be so hard for people to answer unless they have been in position.

i suppose after your next detailed scan you will be able to make a more infomed choice! sorry i cant be any help chick! thinking of you xxxxxx

Sounds all very similar to us!

We were told in a letter we were 'high-risk' so were expecting the worst - turned out to be only 1:249 - as we were expecting it to be bad news when we found out our actual result we were jumping for joy!!

I am a statistician and 1:249 means there is very little chance anything is wrong with baby! Same for you too - I think they are great results!! I know it might not sound good at the moment as I remember in 1st tri others were getting results like 1:10,000

We were offered the amnio but refused. Like you we had a detailed scan around 20wks and baby was looking fab!

We have not even thought about those results now - they were given to us almost 20wks ago now. We cant wait to meet our perfect little one!

You will make the right decision for you and your own baby whatever you decide :flower:

i think beadette is right, you will have to wait till the next scan to be more sure,but if faced with the decision of whether to have an amino done or not,i would personally have the amino done, just my personal choice i think if i was in the same situation, not that 1 in 270 is a lot, as they say it is low risk but sometimes its as high a ratio as 1 in 11,000 or something like that. I would just want to be prepared for anything and not worry myself into the ground.......shame that you cannot speak to partner, i know how this feels and it can be distressing when you just need to talk things over x

I don't know really, I don't think I would! I know that doesn't help, just personally I think knowing wouldn't change anything for us so why run the risk?

Thanks girls, 1 minute I'm fine and the next I'm worrying, damn hormones! :blush:

I worked it out as a percentage and its something like 0.3% so 99.7% babys fine. I sometimes wish they didn't do this nuchal thing as I didn't have it with my 1st and it seems to cause more worry. I only had 16 week bloods with her and my odds were something riduculous like 1:18000, another reason why I'm probably worrying too much!!!

xx

i have no advice hun but wanted to give you a hug xxxx

I personally wouldn't get the amnio, but this is just MY opinion. 1:270 is great and the chances of anything being wrong is extremely low, 2nd of all they saw a clear nasal bone and good strong heart. That would be plenty for me.
The fluid test and bloods test is only a guide, it really isn't set in stone infact they give more false HIGH RISKS like 2:10.

I think your bean sounds perfect.

Thanks girls, 1 minute I'm fine and the next I'm worrying, damn hormones! :blush:

I worked it out as a percentage and its something like 0.3% so 99.7% babys fine. I sometimes wish they didn't do this nuchal thing as I didn't have it with my 1st and it seems to cause more worry. I only had 16 week bloods with her and my odds were something riduculous like 1:18000, another reason why I'm probably worrying too much!!!

xx

Honey, they not only use bloods and scan, they also take into account your lifestyle and age. Honestly, my opinion is don't stress. I have my own on Jan 20th and I am taking it with a grain of salt, I more want to see a 3D scan of bub since they didn't do those all those years ago when I had my boys.
Because I am having Fraternal twins they can't even do bloods on me because they can't tell which baby is which, so it is really just a guessing game.
If bubs heart looks good, their little nasal bones are present, I'm happy.
:hugs::hugs::hugs:
I agree, I think the Nuchal is another way to make money ( I have to pay $320) and cause undue stress on parents.

A lady I know had the Nuchal scan done, it came back High Risk, her and her hubby decided to get the amnio test done and it came back positive for DS, they talked about termination and after a long talk they decided to continue with the pregnancy. Well she gave birth to a PERFECTLY healthy baby boy who DOESN'T have DS. Gosh could you imagine if they terminated.
The Dr just get it wrong to many times.

This is JMO and whatever you decide is between you and your family :hugs:

Gosh even the amnio got it wrong, thats awful!!

When I saw the consultant at my local hospital today and told him my risk had decreased due to my bloods he said thats good with a big smile on his face and told me they don't recommend the amnio if your risks less than 200 so thats another plus!!

Thank you for making me feel better, I will keep you all updated, and good luck for your scan :hugs:

A lady I know had the Nuchal scan done, it came back High Risk, her and her hubby decided to get the amnio test done and it came back positive for DS, they talked about termination and after a long talk they decided to continue with the pregnancy. Well she gave birth to a PERFECTLY healthy baby boy who DOESN'T have DS. Gosh could you imagine if they terminated.

Wow bek, that's almost enough for me to cancel my NT scan next month! If they can be that far wrong.....:shrug: Kinda makes you not want to bother! And yes they are very expensive - I paid 180euro 4yrs ago with DD, can't wait to see what this one in Jan will cost!?:wacko:

As you asked for what we would do personally I will answer that, but only you will know what is right for you.

I really don't think I would go for the amnio. The ratio seems quite good to me and I just don't think it's worth the risk of the amnio. Unfortunately my hubby would probably need convincing about that as he is really conscious of stuff like and is often asking me what tests we can have to make sure baby is ok.

Good luck, whatever you decide xx

Wow bek, that's almost enough for me to cancel my NT scan next month! If they can be that far wrong.....:shrug: Kinda makes you not want to bother! And yes they are very expensive - I paid 180euro 4yrs ago with DD, can't wait to see what this one in Jan will cost!?:wacko:

I know, isn't that just disgusting, it's not exceptable in my opinion, the worry that, that family went through and how close they came to terminating, it's just not good enough.
People base life chancing decissions on these tests results, they shouldn't be getting so many results wrong.
Once he was born and was perfectly healthy we just cried with relief and then the " what if, we had of....." played over and over and over in there minds. It was really a traumatic experience for them.

Like I said " hubby and I have NEVER seen our boys in 3D, so it is more exciting to see that, the results aren't a major concern, not unless you can CLEARLY see any deformities.

Wow, you have to pay for the nuchal scan in europe? That's crazy! I'm so glad it's covered by our health care here in Canada. As far as your question about the amnio, if the odds were the same as yours I probably wouldn't get it, but it's hard for me to say that for sure. My nuchal scan and bloods are in 4 weeks so ask me again then.

Wow, you have to pay for the nuchal scan in europe? That's crazy! I'm so glad it's covered by our health care here in Canada. As far as your question about the amnio, if the odds were the same as yours I probably wouldn't get it, but it's hard for me to say that for sure. My nuchal scan and bloods are in 4 weeks so ask me again then.

In Aussie if your over a certain age (think it is over 30)and going through the public health system it is free. If your going public but younger, you pay for it with a discount.
I am a private patient so the fact I don't use the public system and pay my private health insurance every week, apparently that gives them the right to screw me and limit any benefits LOL LOL LOL LOL.

Its like I have to pay my OB $1600 to cover his insurance to deliver my babies and I only get $100 back :dohh: going public its free.

They always complain the public system is too over crowded but it isn't surprising considering what it costs to pay private health each week and then all the other out of pockets we are hit for. I think it is wrong.

I am going to have a nuchal scan in 2 weeks also. I am also afraid that something bad will result. I don't know either what I would do it I end in the high risk group. I think my hubby would prefer not to have an abnormal baby, but I also heard of cases of people in the high risk group ending up with a completely normal baby.

I guess if you are in the low risk group, then it should be fine. Heard that the amnio test can make you m/c, so I think I would not risk my baby if I were placed in the low risk group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->