What would you do?

bbbbbbb811

Reaction score
Me again:blush: because no one knows about my pregnancy I need some advice!
I am due to start college in September to do a one year access to higher education course, and then you attend university the following September.
When I found out I was expecting, I emailed and asked could I attend college right up to my due date, take three months but do all the work from home. Then return after three months and be back in the college setting may and June. But the college aren't recommending I do that (I'm guessing they cant say I can't when they've already been accepted just because I'm pregnant?). Would you leave it? The other option is a similar course through the Open University (k101) which would be from home the full year?
I'm really stuck on what to do, because I feel really determined to get to higher education, and I feel like I could do it but I don't want to set myself up to fail.
I've attached the email I received from the college today.

Attachments

• IMG_20180611_221707.jpg
    IMG_20180611_221707.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 47
It will be because of the work load normally the last 3 months of a course and intense and you will miss alot of stuff in class and to be honest my experience with collage they aren't that great on giving you work you miss or living you work when you know your going to be off even just for a week to do at home. I'd go with the OU personally hun because you know you have all the course work and lessons ect there and your not chasing tutors for it

Thank you miss waiting, I think I am going to go with the OU as there is much more flexibility and with being pregnant and having 3 children that will always help! Plus, I know I won't have to leave my baby after three months that will be hard since I normally breastfeed. Thank you for your reply, helped me look at it better:)

Your most welcome. I went back to collage and did beauty only 3 years ago now but I still worked part time and it was such a nightmare as I had hospital appointments and all sorts as I'd just gotten in with the pain team and I had a few times off sick beucase I catch bugs so easily so I missed out on alot it was only that some of the ladies I was on the course with let me check their notes that I kept up as my tutor was to busy to back track for just me. Glad I could help hun xx

As for me, you should go to college. Pregnancy isn't something difficult and wouldn't hinder your education as you think.When my wife was pregnant she was on her last year of education and she hadn't dropped it. We realized that if we take a year of break it would take long time to return. I helped her a lot. We even had found a service to write some dessirtation and important papers. And we did it! I wich you luck, cause i'm sure you will make it too.

Hi, im in exactly the same position! I'm 6 weeks pregnant but have been accepted on a college access course starting in September.

I havent told them yet, but I had already planned to do the course part time over two years - is that an option for you? I was advised that if I had any other commitments (family, job etc) that the one year course would be really intense time wise.

I plan to do 1.5 modules this year - stop one halfway which is before baby is due, and just take a few weeks off from my other module which is an evening course so my husband can have them. I'd then take the third module and complete the other one the following year when baby would be 6 months.

Personally, I have tried OU before and it wasn't for me. I prefer the interaction and discussion/debate you get from the classroom environment

Have to do what works for you xx

That does sound like a good option, but not one that this college offers:( I'm now thinking of deferring for a year or so due to the lack of support around me, and wanting to do the course in a college setting rather than at home. It may take longer, but I'll get there in the end!

We even had found a service to write some dessirtation and important papers. And we did it! I wich you luck, cause i'm sure you will make it too.

I hope you’re not advocating cheating, but I can’t read that any other way.

BBB, I went back to college as an adult, and it was a wonderful experience! I was proud to earn straight A’s for the first time in my life. It’s amazing what difference a good attitude and paying for it yourself makes. :blush:

I’d do it when you feel you can give it more focus, or see if you can go part-time. There were some young mothers at college with me. Online classes can be good to totally worthless depending on the instructor and the school’s online learning portal, but I found they actually require more study time and commitment from you than in person courses if you want to do well.

3 months is a ton of classes to skip, you could fall way behind skipping a week.

I was in the middle of part time college and part time working when I found out I was pregnant. I decided to defer my second year as I would be giving birth right in the middle of it and being a new mum right in the most intense part of the course. My course did however require being in a work placement for around 5 hrs per week, so knowing that part would have been impossible helped make my decision. Looking back I don't know how I thought I could function studying alongside having a newborn, as it was I could barely function to make a cup of tea let along read academic texts!

OU are more flexible on how long it takes you to complete modules, so if things are going good you could finish quickly, but you can slow down when you need to. Personally for me I like physically going to lectures, having my brain stimulated by the questions other students ask etc. etc. but if you think the style of study the OU offer would suit your lifestyle, then it seems like a good option.

After mammahannah mentioned the 2 year course, I have found a college 38 minutes away that does this. So now I just have to see if the commute is possible with the children's childcare! But I will still defer for a year, so I can get at least 8 months breastfeeding (hopefully) under my belt before I have to worry about bottles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->